Something new. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Something new.

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 08-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Something new.

I went to the grocery store looking for a thin cut of beef to try a roll up idea I've had. Wasn't having much luck with the people at the meat counter but I found something that should work. I bought a couple packages of bottom round steak because it was the thinnest slices of beef I could find. Hope it works.

What I've done is I laid these thin pieces of beef out and spread a thin coat of jimmy dean sage sausage on top. Then I took and diced up some jalapeño real fine and put just a little on it. Then I put a little bit of Mexican blend cheese in the center. On some I used blue cheese instead of the Mexican blend. I rolled them all up and tied the ends tight with the kind of string you use on roasts. Then the outside was lightly seasoned. I'm slow cooking these on the upper rack with charcoal and chucks of hickory. Ill report back later with some more pictures.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Hotshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Going on the grill.

image-3435469958.jpg

Unread 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heating up a little to quick. These things are already looking tasty.

image-3187150232.jpg

Unread 08-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just flipped them.

image-160287273.jpg

Unread 08-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think I'll call these smoked HoHo's.
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Everyone here raved about these things. Personally I see some room for improvement though. I think we cooked them a few minutes to long, got to talking to a neighbor and lost focus. Like anything new it needs a little bit of tweaking . With the next batch I'll make a few using spicy sausage, and a few with pepperoni instead of sausage. Might try some different cheeses also. We normally coat what we're smoking with mustard but we forgot to do it with these. Next time.

Having trouble uploading pic's right now but ill keep trying.
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good!
Did you cook the sausage ahead of time?
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
flyfisher12
2012 JK Wrangler 

Making rolls are always good. I have done pretty much the same thing you did except i would sear them off in a pan and then throw in the oven covered, for a few minutes. Slow cooking such a thin piece of meat will tend to dry it out but at least you have the fat from the sausage to help with that.

If you want some really good flavor from the sausage go with some spanish chorizo or andouille.

Also if you can't seem to find the right cut of meat you can always use a sharp knife and butterfly it which will make more of a pocket but it will still work nicely. I also use skirt steak for mine which is cheap and easy to find and has a decent fat content. Just make sure you cut across the grain and it will be more tender that way.
flyfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
Looks good!
Did you cook the sausage ahead of time?
No, the steaks were maybe 3/8" thick and the sausage was spread thin. I was sure it would cook. I checked it with a thermometer also.

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher12
Making rolls are always good. I have done pretty much the same thing you did except i would sear them off in a pan and then throw in the oven covered, for a few minutes. Slow cooking such a thin piece of meat will tend to dry it out but at least you have the fat from the sausage to help with that.

If you want some really good flavor from the sausage go with some spanish chorizo or andouille.

Also if you can't seem to find the right cut of meat you can always use a sharp knife and butterfly it which will make more of a pocket but it will still work nicely. I also use skirt steak for mine which is cheap and easy to find and has a decent fat content. Just make sure you cut across the grain and it will be more tender that way.
Thanks flyfisher. Yeah these started to dry on the outside but stayed pretty moist inside. Next time ill try coating it with mustard like I do my tri tips. That usually helps keep them moist. I was looking at the chorizo at the market and thinking that might be good, I'll have to give it a try.

Unread 08-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
flyfisher12
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Thanks flyfisher. Yeah these started to dry on the outside but stayed pretty moist inside. Next time ill try coating it with mustard like I do my tri tips. That usually helps keep them moist. I was looking at the chorizo at the market and thinking that might be good, I'll have to give it a try.

Chorizo is good on anything!! I know this isn't grilling but i make a spicy chipotle alfredo with chorizo and chicken over penne with sun dried tomatoes that is probably my favorite pasta dish, other than maybe some basic pistachio pesto.
flyfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Hotshot
Limit straps are cool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher12

Chorizo is good on anything!! I know this isn't grilling but i make a spicy chipotle alfredo with chorizo and chicken over penne with sun dried tomatoes that is probably my favorite pasta dish, other than maybe some basic pistachio pesto.
Have you tried the johnsonville chorizo brats? They're very good.

Unread 08-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
CGlaser
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post

Try spraying them with the mixture of apple cider vinegar and cooking oil.

Or

Straight apple juice. Itll keep the outside moist and add a little apple taste too it
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I use a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and apple juice.
MIjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You guys make me hungry!
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.