1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigred33

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Smokin up some Jerkey

Decided to give smokin up some jerkey a go. Caribbean Kerk, Chipotle Pepper and Hawaiian

GLAD the summer time is RIGHT around the corner!

96 ZJ 5.2; IRO 4.5, Adj. Upper/Lower CA, Bilstein 5100s, 265/75/16 Goodyear, IRO OTK, 5.9 efan, 242.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM
14Sport
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good! I haven't tried smokin' jerky so very interested in how it comes out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Looks good! I haven't tried smokin' jerky so very interested in how it comes out.
It came out AMAZING! Soft flavorful with JUST enough of the "bark" you get from smoking meat. The flavor hits up towards your molars NOM NOM NOM!

I should have done more... its already almost gone....

Had it in the smoker about 4 hours at 220. Used Hickory wood over kingsford charcoal.

96 ZJ 5.2; IRO 4.5, Adj. Upper/Lower CA, Bilstein 5100s, 265/75/16 Goodyear, IRO OTK, 5.9 efan, 242.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2016, 03:47 AM
14Sport
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Aw man that sounds good. I'm going to have to give that a try. Thanks.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
AdidasCJ
1996 ZJ 

Garage
I just cut the meat to different thickness, beat it with a meat tenderizer, put it in the different marinades for a few hours and than to the grille for a few hours!

post #6 of 12 Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 PM
WolfofDarkstar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can't tell from the picture. How far from the heat source do you put the meat. Been wanting to try making jerky. Would love some tips

Willys
4.0L Power Tech I-6 engine
Quadra-Coil™ suspension
Command-Trac® four-wheel-drive system
post #7 of 12 Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
jerky should not really be over much of any heat; the goal is to dry it out, not cook it. and if you plan to store it without refrigeration it needs to be nearly fat free since that will go rancid. That's why London broil is a perfect cut for jerky

no matter what you did to those, it looks good.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #8 of 12 Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 AM
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I smoked a big batch last year. It didn't really jerk it as it was only in there about an hour+ with the heat and the thickness of the cut, but man oh man was it yummy. Like a skirt steak and oozing with flavor. Everybody loved it.

And it didn't keep well like the other half of the batch I dehydrated, so keep that in mind...just eat it!
druedrued likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-14-2016, 08:16 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
jerky should not really be over much of any heat; the goal is to dry it out, not cook it. and if you plan to store it without refrigeration it needs to be nearly fat free since that will go rancid.
I make beef jerky from time to time, usually a couple of pounds that I give to my friends at work. I tell them to refrigerate it and eat it within a few days, as the stuff I'm cranking out is probably not going to preserved for the long term. I smoke it about 170 degrees for about 5 hours. I use beef round roast which is very lean. Here's a video that shows my process:

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 12 Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suppose that if one wanted to store jerky for a really long time, the fat might become rancid. But I would guess that the protein would metabolize before the fat goes bad. And, I like jerky with a little fat. It is where all the flavor is found.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #11 of 12 Old 09-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I'm going to make Thai style beef jerky next time. My initial plan is to marinate the beef round roast slices in grated fresh ginger, coconut milk, garlic, yellow curry powder, soy sauce, black pepper, and of course habenero Tabasco sauce which always makes for great and very spicy beef jerky.

In the past I have usually used a dry rub for jerky because I didn't want to add moisture, so this will be a departure from that. The coconut milk adds fat which is not ideal, so we'll see.

Also, I'll throw this technique out there: You can put the beef slices on racks inside the fridge overnight and they will dry out to a certain extent. I have a couple of wire cooling racks (used for bread, cakes etc) and they're great for keeping the jerky off the bottom of the pan so that both sides dry out in the fridge. So I might have to use this technique to pre-dry the meat for a day before smoking it.

I'll post here when I make this batch.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #12 of 12 Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 AM
NVRSMR75
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Also, I'll throw this technique out there: You can put the beef slices on racks inside the fridge overnight and they will dry out to a certain extent. I have a couple of wire cooling racks (used for bread, cakes etc) and they're great for keeping the jerky off the bottom of the pan so that both sides dry out in the fridge. So I might have to use this technique to pre-dry the meat for a day before smoking it.

I'll post here when I make this batch.
Need to try this! Awesome idea. I've always gone straight from marinating into the smoker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.