post #1 of Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Smoked Sausage

I have been thinking about getting into making my own smoked sausage since most of what I find at the store has too much sodium, breading/filler, and fat. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on equipment, techniques etc.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #2 of Old 09-22-2012, 10:39 AM
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I have been thinking about getting into making my own smoked sausage since most of what I find at the store has too much sodium, breading/filler, and fat. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on equipment, techniques etc.
As a starter, check out Hi Country sausage seasonings. They are very good. Also, get a darned good grinder (don't cheap out here)

<---------------------Is Female
post #3 of Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
You can certainly make your own, there are lots of good books and stuff online out there...

one way to start, you might want to visit a really good butcher in your area to try some that they made, there won't be filler and breading and junk in sausage made in really good shops.
post #4 of Old 09-22-2012, 11:08 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is no end of books and websites. The best book i've found sor far is http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-...348333427&sr=8

Always grind cold, so the fat does not melt.

I have a small hand grinder I user for experimenting. I try test grinds, amount of fat, double or triple grinds, various seasonings and then cook them in a frying pan to try the results. Maybe 1/4 lb at a time. I would do this first and see where it takes you and what your interest in making is.

A grinder/stuffer attachment for a kitchen aid mixer does an ok job but the hopper is small and the motor gets hot. Small batches only.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here