Smoked Sausage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Smoked Sausage

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Smoked Sausage

I have been thinking about getting into making my own smoked sausage since most of what I find at the store has too much sodium, breading/filler, and fat. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on equipment, techniques etc.

Unread 09-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
ZMBJ33P
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I have been thinking about getting into making my own smoked sausage since most of what I find at the store has too much sodium, breading/filler, and fat. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips on equipment, techniques etc.
As a starter, check out Hi Country sausage seasonings. They are very good. Also, get a darned good grinder (don't cheap out here)
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
You can certainly make your own, there are lots of good books and stuff online out there...

one way to start, you might want to visit a really good butcher in your area to try some that they made, there won't be filler and breading and junk in sausage made in really good shops.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is no end of books and websites. The best book i've found sor far is http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-...348333427&sr=8

Always grind cold, so the fat does not melt.

I have a small hand grinder I user for experimenting. I try test grinds, amount of fat, double or triple grinds, various seasonings and then cook them in a frying pan to try the results. Maybe 1/4 lb at a time. I would do this first and see where it takes you and what your interest in making is.

A grinder/stuffer attachment for a kitchen aid mixer does an ok job but the hopper is small and the motor gets hot. Small batches only.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.