Smoked burgers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Smoked burgers?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Smoked burgers?

Is this possible? Would they b too dry?

gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I usually just toss some wet hickory chips on the coals and grill like normal.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
I usually just toss some wet hickory chips on the coals and grill like normal.
But ur still using heat that's prob higher than 250 which is as high as my smoker goes,, right? I'm talking about using a the smoker for the whole process
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I think by the time they were cooked in a smoker all the fat would be gone and leaving a dry puck. Aside from the smoke the whole reason for low and slow is to tenderize tough cuts of meat.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I am sure the burgers would be quite dry. But, that's not the end of the world. Give it a shot and for the last 5 minutes put a full pat of butter on each one. Serve when fully melted.
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Smoked 80/20 patties at 225 for an hour, came out all gray and were good, I prefer med so I will shorten the time some, also used the fresh preformed patties with just Montreal seasoning so there's lots of room for improvement in the meat and spices ,, maybe even use a sausage/ ground beef combo
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloksrule View Post
Smoked 80/20 patties at 225 for an hour, came out all gray and were good, I prefer med so I will shorten the time some, also used the fresh preformed patties with just Montreal seasoning so there's lots of room for improvement in the meat and spices ,, maybe even use a sausage/ ground beef combo
I think you have a good idea there. Try a 50/50 ground pork, ground beef (30%) and see how it does. Maybe you will have to smoke longer to get the pork temperature up. I assume that you have an electronic probe thermometer for monitoring this.
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What if I precooked the sausage about halfway then mixed it in with the beef? I have a wireless probe for the temp also,, I'm also gonna try this with bacon like they do at Slaters 50/50
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloksrule View Post
What if I precooked the sausage about halfway then mixed it in with the beef? I have a wireless probe for the temp also,, I'm also gonna try this with bacon like they do at Slaters 50/50
You can cook it all the way and mix the sausage and the fat from it with the beef. Be sure to let it cool before you mix the cooked pork.

I used to use barbeque, brisket or pulled pork, chopped to a dice and blended with ground chuck. Makes an interesting burger. Try it.
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, on the 4th, I had a butt on char-griller offset smoker, which has a hot side and cool side because I haven't gotten around to modifying it to even it out. Around 1:00, people were getting hungry, so on one of my normal checks, I threw some burgers and dogs closer to the hotter side. My wife said they were the best burgers/dogs she'd ever eaten.

It's my set up, and I know the heat was higher then 250* my temp gauge read, because of placement. But yeah, they were good.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.