Slow cooker recipes? Suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Slow cooker recipes? Suggestions?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Slow cooker recipes? Suggestions?

Need some new ones ,, anyone wanna share ?

gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
pasadena
1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump, looking for some myself!
pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
AlabamaSlamma
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Buy whatever steak is on sale, round steak and such. Cut into approx. 3x3 pieces. Put in crock pot, cover with cream of mushroom soup. Let it cook slow while you are at work. Serve with mashed potatoes because the soup turns into a wonderful gravy. Never found anyone who din't love this.
AlabamaSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #4
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Chuck roast: get a nice chuck roast, soup bouillion and fresh garlic. Put all 3 items with maybe 1/2 drinking cup of water in an oven bag and tie up. Take another oven bag, peel and cut carrots, celery and onion, put into oven bag with also some soup bouillon and also maybe 1/2 drinking cup water.

Prepare brown rice on side. Slow cook roast and veggies max 8 hours on high settings. Serve meat and veggies over rice.

This is perfect for cold days....
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
JeepKat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Make some New Mexico Style Tamales!

Here's the spice recipe:
I always make it x 4

1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons salt ** or to taste this is too much salt for me.
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder

Get a large chunk of pork, or chicken, put it in the slow cooker. Mix some of the seasoning with a cup of water and pour over the meat, cook on low all night, or until tender.

Buy a bag of dried corn husks, separate and and rinse then soak over night.

Get a large bag or two of New Mexico dried chili's and cut the stems off, rise well and boil about an hour until tender. Using a blender, puree the chili's with a bit of the water they were cooked in. Put this in a large glass or metal bowl, the red chili sauce will stain plastic. I add some small hot dried chili's to make it a bit more spicy to the pot of boiling chili's. You could add dried red pepper flakes if you like. Add the tamale seasoning to the red chili sauce you just made and mix to taste, keep adding the spice mix until you get the flavor you like.

Cook 2 - 3 potato's with the skin on until almost done in a pot of water.

Chop one medium onion very fine.

Buy a bag of Masa Flour and make the Masa according to the package directions. Use a mixer, to make it light and fluffy, add more water as needed, it needs to be moist but not soupy.

Shred the meat, add the meat to the red chili sauce, add the chopped onion and course grate some of the potato until you get the right amount of onion, potato, meat and sauce that you like. The potato will act as a thickening agent and you won't actually taste it.

Drain and separate some corn husks, spread a spoonful of masa on the corn husk, add some meat mix and roll. It will take some practice to get them rolled right. You can tie them closed with white yarn or some string if needed. I like to make them about 50/50 not too much meat and not too much masa.

After you have a bunch ready, steam them in a large steamer for 40 minutes to an hour. Do not let the steamer run dry!! You only need to cook them this long the first time, after that they are heat and eat only.

Enjoy them with some rice and beans. You can freeze them or re-heat them in the steamer until hot, or microwave them in a damp paper towel.

Note: The more salt that you add to the red chili sauce, the more spicy it will be.

I love the new style slow cooker, it has a digital timer, a low and high setting and it will switch to the warm setting after the time has completed automatically and stay on warm until you turn it off. I had the old style with OFF-LOW-HIGH and I was always over cooking my food, it was either full blast or nothing. Costco has a really nice one and it comes with a mini-crock pot for sauces. The lid is glass and that is also a plus, you can wrap some bread or rolls in aluminum foil and sit it on the hot lid and it will warm the bread or rolls while your food finishes the cooking cycle.

I should have added that it takes me a couple of days to make these, I make the meat and the chili sauce the first day, mix it all together and refrigerate, then on day two I make the masa, assemble and cook the tamales the second day. I can't keep these in the house and everybody who stops by wants to take home a bunch.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
JeepKat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlamma View Post
Buy whatever steak is on sale, round steak and such. Cut into approx. 3x3 pieces. Put in crock pot, cover with cream of mushroom soup. Let it cook slow while you are at work. Serve with mashed potatoes because the soup turns into a wonderful gravy. Never found anyone who din't love this.
This sound Yummy! I love mushrooms I bet it would work well with chicken tenders too.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This sounds so yummi. Make me droooooool....

Unread 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Bama, why not cut them up into bit sized 1"x 1" pieces instead ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
JeepKat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Bama, why not cut them up into bit sized 1"x 1" pieces instead ?
I would say because the smaller the pieces the faster they cook and by the time you got home from work the small pieces would have become mush, fallen apart and become part of the gravy sauce.

If you're going to be home when you make it, you could stop the cooking and eat it before it turned to mush.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While there are a few things that can be cooked well in a slow cooker, like dried split pea and bean soups, and certainly home made elder cat food, in general the slow cooker is a menace to good meals. It may be a convenience to working parents. That can't be ignored. But, there is a reason that beef stew is cooked in a casserole in the oven, or that chicken is best fixed in a short cooking time. And, recipes that include a jar of Italian dressing, a can of condensed soup, or just meat and water are not likely to deliver anything worth eating. For my part, I think that trying to adapt recipes to a slow cooker is misguided. Put the thing away and cook these dishes they way they are supposed to be cooked. They will taste a whole lot better.
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
While there are a few things that can be cooked well in a slow cooker, like dried split pea and bean soups, and certainly home made elder cat food, in general the slow cooker is a menace to good meals. It may be a convenience to working parents. That can't be ignored. But, there is a reason that beef stew is cooked in a casserole in the oven, or that chicken is best fixed in a short cooking time. And, recipes that include a jar of Italian dressing, a can of condensed soup, or just meat and water are not likely to deliver anything worth eating. For my part, I think that trying to adapt recipes to a slow cooker is misguided. Put the thing away and cook these dishes they way they are supposed to be cooked. They will taste a whole lot better.
Sounds like horseshi$ ,,so low and slow is a misconception ?
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloksrule View Post
Sounds like horseshi$ ,,so low and slow is a misconception ?
In the cat food maker it is.

Like I said, dried beans and peas and cat food. And, mom can make a beef "stew" while she is at work without leaving the oven on all day. Other than that . . . Meow!
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Suggestions?

Get a pressure cooker. I make a great stew in an hour!
If you end up with cat food you don't know what you're
doing. Veggies go in last, and take 5 minutes. Much longer
you can end up with "cat food." Gotta know your cooking times.

Best ham and bean soup comes from the pressure cooker!
Fresh beets are great in the pressure cooker. (canned beets = Cat food)
15-PSI, cook in minutes not hours. I'm making my chicken
cacciatore in the pressure cooker tonight. I love to taste
the food, not the salt! (all my recipes are pretty low in sodium)

Makes a great stock as well!
(there's a turkey carcass in the bottom)

Best turkey noodle soup ever!

I'll note the stock was made under 15 PSI of pressure,
not the soup itself.

Unread 05-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Commercial kitchens in restaurants never, I repeat never use pressure vessels. Even though a pressure cooker would save energy and cook much faster, you could go in 100 good restaurant kitchens and never see one.

There is a reason for this. A pressure cooker ruins food. Turns it into garbage. There is absolutely nothing that tastes better after being tortured in a pressure cooker than conventional cooking. If you can't make a better meal out of anything, meat, vegetables, chicken, or fish in the oven or on the stove top, you don't know what you are doing.
Believe me, there are a ton of meals I prepare with out
a pressure cooker. meow.....
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think beef tongue is considered a delicatesse - at leastin Europe. I ate one many many, by many moons ago, my gma made one and I liked it. Now, please, don't tar and feather me for that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.