Rub for Pork Spare ribs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Rub for Pork Spare ribs

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Rub for Pork Spare ribs

Ok here is the deal.
I am going to be smoking ribs for a family outing.
I usually use Good ****.
http://www.special****.com/products/...asoningsAnchor
Sorry if it does not come up. Censors. It is one of the rubs from Big Cock Ranch. Google it.
But I am running low.
It is too late to mail order it.
Now then I need a good rub that is not too spicy.
There will be younger kids there that will not eat the real spicy stuff.
What do you have.
Recipes would be great!

Unread 05-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
MCMike37
Random Guy

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm probably an odd one out, but I do all my pork rubs with the main base ingrediant being light brown sugar. Generally I will use about a half pound per full rack of ribs, and then throw in a few other things depending on what is in the cupboard at the time; garlic powder, onion powder, some steak/BBQ seasoning, varying amounts of cayenne pepper depending on how spicy I want them to be. I pack on the rub and then double wrap the ribs in foil and cook meat side down for many hours at about 200. An hour prior to eating I will open them up (Watch out the dry mix will be completely liquid at this point, save and make sure absolutely tasty BBQ sauce out of it if so desired) and finish them without foil with a big helping of whatever brand of smokey wood chips you want. I'll generally throw a little more rub on the top to get that sort of candy crust on top.

It's non-traditional, but you can't even pick up the rack without the bones just falling out and I get great complements from everyone.
MCMike37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Last time I smoked ribs (it's been quite a while, unfortunately!), I used mustard and Uncle Joe's Rub Down.

From my Grilled Thread: Smoked Ribs

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Spare ribs are more fatty than baby backs ribs and so they need less flavor IMO but need long careful cooking. I don't think sugar based rubs work well on ribs that are gonna be cooked for a really long time because they can get bitter and burnt tasting. A mixture of Anaheim (mild) chili powder , powdered garlic, cumin, and paprika, salt and pepper is what I would substitute, But, I'll tell you, anything from the cock ranch will have plenty of cayenne in it whether you notice it or not. And cayenne is what most rubs use to give them the punch.
Unread 05-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
bobinAZ
1993 ZJ 

Its ok to use brown sugar base rubs as long as the temp is below 270 ish. Sugar carmalizes at a certain temp. It dosent matter how long they cook as long as the smoker doesn't get too hot. They should cook between 225 - 250 for around 6 hours. I use the 3-2-1 method. As far as the rub I use this on my ribs and pork shoulders/butts when I make pulled pork..

1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated garlic
6 tablespoons granulated onion
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Can substitute with garlic/onion powder.
Unread 05-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

that looks good bobinaz!
Unread 05-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Douse them with Ball's cajun seasoning ( not too much !) and Tiger sauce, butter and apple juice and then wrap them in foil 1 hour prior to taking them off the grill. Any garlic/cayenne, brown sugar, etc based rub will do up until that point if you dont over cook them.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

rub some butt is my go-to pork rub, no matter the cut...mustard based and delicious.

http://m.basspro.com/Rub-Some-Butt-C...duct/10216555/
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mol View Post
rub some butt is my go-to pork rub, no matter the cut...mustard based and delicious.

http://m.basspro.com/Rub-Some-Butt-C...duct/10216555/
Thanks for that. We do have a Bass Pro in our area. I will pick some up.
I ended up using the last of my Good ****, I just had enough for all the ribs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.