Revisiting the Simple Burger - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Revisiting the Simple Burger

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #46
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Copy that

THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #47
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, we seem to have lost a few posts from this thread. No loss. They were just about the problem of trying to make a decent burger out of lamb or bison. Why anyone would want to use bison for anything is beyond me, but lamb has a great flavor can be made edible with an herb butter center.

In any event, a mix of 70% ground chuck and 30% ground short ribs is the A formula.
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #48
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I moved all those posts to another thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f365/...urger-1546075/

We can keep this one for us burger purists.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #49
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Copy that
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #50
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I moved all those posts to another thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f365/...urger-1546075/

We can keep this one for us burger purists.
Excellent!

I want to reiterate the chuck/short ribs combo for burgers. I think for a pure burger with no junk mixed in, its the cat's ***.
Best all beef meat combo I've ever had, and I have tried everything.
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #51
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lunch today was a 1/3 lb ground chuck (not lean) cooked in a teflon skillet very hot. Pepper and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce drizzled around the burger at the hottest point. This makes a nice crust. Then, crushed sea salt, more pepper and on to a lightly toasted Bay's English Muffin, add a 1/4" thick slice of raw Vidalia onion. Very nice.
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #52
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Lunch today was a 1/3 lb ground chuck (not lean) cooked in a teflon skillet very hot. Pepper and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce drizzled around the burger at the hottest point. This makes a nice crust. Then, crushed sea salt, more pepper and on to a lightly toasted Bay's English Muffin, add a 1/4" thick slice of raw Vidalia onion. Very nice.
You really had me but then lost me at the raw onion. I hate raw onions, but like them cooked any kind of way.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #53
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

lost me at english muffin. needs more potato roll!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #54
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
You really had me but then lost me at the raw onion. I hate raw onions, but like them cooked any kind of way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
lost me at english muffin. needs more potato roll!
Hahaha!

Of course, the Bay's are in the frig for another purpose entirely, i.e. the fried egg and country sausage sandwich. But just because it is a "simple" burger doesn't mean we can't experiment a little. Actually, the Bay's is far better than a white foam bun and the bakery was not open. I'd suggest to give it a try. Photo below is not mine, but one of many showing a sandwich on a Bay's.

As for the raw Vidalia, I love a sauteed onion too. (Sliced, small yellow onion, sauted next to the burger in butter and burger fat). But, the crunch and sweetness of a really good raw Vidalia onion, with no cheese, no pickle, no sauce, is a change of pace that I must recommend.
902505_618490348179421_1252776205_o.jpg  
images.jpg

Unread 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #55
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't dislike the idea of the raw onion. I cringe when I say this when we're talking about quality hamburgers, but doesn't Burger King serve raw onions on their whoppers? I don't generally like English Muffins, but I'd certainly try it. I just think it would have to be a pretty thin hamburger patty for it to be well balanced. Buns/bread can make or break a good hamburger in my opinion.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #56
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
I don't dislike the idea of the raw onion. I cringe when I say this when we're talking about quality hamburgers, but doesn't Burger King serve raw onions on their whoppers? I don't generally like English Muffins, but I'd certainly try it. I just think it would have to be a pretty thin hamburger patty for it to be well balanced. Buns/bread can make or break a good hamburger in my opinion.

I agree with that. The fast food joints use white (hot) onions on their burgers raw. They do this so the cardboard beef tastes like something at least. No white or yellow onions raw for me. A good Vidalia onion can be peeled and eaten raw like an apple. Not my first choice, but certainly very tasty.

As for the Bay's, its near perfect for a 1/3 to 1/2 pound burger. I hope you try it. The outside is leakproof and there are plenty of voids inside to hold the juice. I think big rolls detract from the beef. in fact, I am going to be trying some lettuce wrap burgers this weekend to see if I can get a burger with some toppings in a bun-less sandwich. Probably 1/3 pound burger, bacon and raw jalapenos (thin sliced with seeds removed) wrapped in Iceburg lettuce leaves.

This is a Vidalia:
f554f2ee18bf01a58bff00105900d7d73a7f37f6.jpg

Unread 12-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #57
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Recently, I have been making very thin burgers. 1/4# ball of a mix of eye of chuck and ground sirloin. I don't even touch it with my hands. Just a fork to separate a 1/4# then into a sandwich bag to flatten. I use the bottom of a glass pie plate to flatten the beef. Ends up about 5-6" in diameter before cooking. Then slip it out of the bag into a searing hot skillet. It would fall apart if not handled carefully. 2 minutes on each side with liberal salt and pepper. On to a soft yellow bakery bun with lettuce, mayo and dill pickle. Very tasty. Sort of a gourmet version of a McDonalds single without cheese.

I may put up a video if I can log on to my YouTube account. Having a problem there.
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #58
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OK, this may sound a little nuts, but I have been dipping the raw burger patties in bacon fat before putting them on the grill. They char better on the outside and have a tasty flavor to them that is hard to describe. I think I am going to mix in a bunch of bacon fat next time I make up a mix of meats for the burgers and see how that works out. Did I say that I love everything about bacon?
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #59
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's a place here in town called Slater's 50/50. Their gimmick is the burger patties are half chopped bacon. Pretty darn good too.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #60
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
OK, this may sound a little nuts, but I have been dipping the raw burger patties in bacon fat before putting them on the grill. They char better on the outside and have a tasty flavor to them that is hard to describe. I think I am going to mix in a bunch of bacon fat next time I make up a mix of meats for the burgers and see how that works out. Did I say that I love everything about bacon?
That doesn't sound nuts at all, I use pork fat to extend my turkey all the time.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.