Revisiting the Simple Burger - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Revisiting the Simple Burger

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #31
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes an otherwise decent bun can be cut down to a more appropriate size. I got some great tasting Kaiser rolls at the baker and cut about an inch out of the middle. After toasting on the grill they were perfect.

Unread 06-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #32
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

You guys are making me hungry ! They all sound good. Burgers are like hot single women, some better than others, but they are all good in some way or another.. for the most part.

Sometimes I like to dice up a few green onion tops and add them to the meat with a little Ball's brand Cajun seasoning, some coarse ground garlic salt and black pepper. Go easy on the Ball's, though.....it's salty. And NO...Tony's or Slap yo' Mama won't work !

Gordon Ramsay made some burgers for a guy once on Kitchen Nightmares and I wrote down as much as I could. If I find it, I'll post it. Best burgers I'd ever eaten and I didnt even get the entire recipe....but I guessed at what he hid from the cameras.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #33
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

See, I think if a burger has a recipe, its a meatloaf. But, as long as you're hungry, how about 1/2 pound of ground chuck, salt and pepper and a dash or Worcestershire sauce cooked on the hottest fire you can muster, followed by a pat of butter melted on top.
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I keep it simple too. The one big thing for me is texture - store ground meat has terrible texture. I buy a chuck roast from the store, cube it up and then run it through my grinder. The texture is completely different than any pre-ground meat and because of it you have to watch your cooking time as it will cook faster. Some freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground pepper is basically all I need, but occasionally I will put a little worchestershire sauce, mustard powder, paprika and a few drops of liquid smoke into the meat.

I've read that adding oxtail (a cut from a cow's tail) to your chuck mix adds amazing flavor, but I haven't tried it as yet.

As far as buns, I really like the rolls from Fuddruckers - they bake them right in the store and sell them separately for those so inclined.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #35
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
I keep it simple too. The one big thing for me is texture - store ground meat has terrible texture. I buy a chuck roast from the store, cube it up and then run it through my grinder. The texture is completely different than any pre-ground meat and because of it you have to watch your cooking time as it will cook faster. Some freshly ground sea salt and freshly ground pepper is basically all I need, but occasionally I will put a little worchestershire sauce, mustard powder, paprika and a few drops of liquid smoke into the meat.

I've read that adding oxtail (a cut from a cow's tail) to your chuck mix adds amazing flavor, but I haven't tried it as yet.

As far as buns, I really like the rolls from Fuddruckers - they bake them right in the store and sell them separately for those so inclined.
It is quite tedious to get the meat out of the cartilage on an ox tail. I love ox tails, but it would have to be pretty special to be worth the trouble. That is why the short ribs are such a good choice. very easy to do and as cheap as ox tails if you count only the meat and usable fat. And, there isn't any fat to speak of in an ox tail.
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #36
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Onion buns make for a good change up too .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #37
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Toast the buns and instead of ordinary butter, use garlic spread instead so you up with garlic bread.
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #38
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
It is quite tedious to get the meat out of the cartilage on an ox tail. I love ox tails, but it would have to be pretty special to be worth the trouble. That is why the short ribs are such a good choice. very easy to do and as cheap as ox tails if you count only the meat and usable fat. And, there isn't any fat to speak of in an ox tail.
Good info - thanks. The last time I noticed oxtails in the store I couldn't bring myself to buy them since they looked so....odd. I'll have to get some short ribs the next time I am doing a batch of meat.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #39
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Good info - thanks. The last time I noticed oxtails in the store I couldn't bring myself to buy them since they looked so....odd. I'll have to get some short ribs the next time I am doing a batch of meat.
Buy the oxtails. Nothing like Oxtail soup. Really delicious. Toss the tiny pieces. Brown the oxtails in vege oil, saute chopped onions in the pan to deglaze, smother with chopped carrots, celery, onions and three bay leaves, salt and pepper generously, then cover with beef broth and simmer gently for three hours adding broth to keep the tails covered. Cool. Remove meat from tails, toss tails add meat to soup. Thicken with a butter and flour roux as needed. Serve over wide egg noodles or straight up.
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #40
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Just had a HopHead burger today!
Fried Egg, Swiss cheese, mayo, mushrooms. I also add avocado!
The original hangover burger. Eat this and you can brew beer with
a hangover.

http://www.aviatorbrew.com/wp-conten...er-Tabloid.pdf
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
flyfisher12
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am a basic guy when it comes to burgers too and definitely no A1 sauce on any meat. I want to taste the meat not the sauce. I like an 80/20 mix of ground sirloin and occasionally will throw some hot sausage in there too or some andouile but generally it is just beef seasoned with salt and pepper. Use a super hot grill to get a good sear then move them off to indirect heat till they are done to your liking. I also then add raw jalapeno slices underneath whatever cheese i am feeling that particular day but usually it is a nice sharp white cheddar.
flyfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #42
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catahoula View Post
A cheese topping to try you guys is Pimento Cheese! Yum!
What makes me think that you have been to Rockaway Athletic Club before ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #43
catahoula
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post

What makes me think that you have been to Rockaway Athletic Club before ?
Ohhhhh you know it dog!!!!
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #44
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket

Uups, ok this is what I tried to say: it is true that ground lamb is drier than other meats. But not every cut of lamb is dry.

When I use minced lamb I dry toast the spices to release their oils And fragrance, then combine and mix it with the meat for at least 5 minutes, then let it sit over night. If you like more juice in your lamb burger, you could combine it with other meats or simply add some thick cut, but finely chopped applewood smacked bacon...that works too.

THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #45
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Was just kidding..there is a place here where they sell it. But it's frozen. They have speciality meats like elk, maybe venison, rabbit... I mightmjustnaskmamfriend of mine who goes hunting to get me a nice cut if deer. Will see. Thank though... I think most ingrediences are as best when when fresh....

THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.