Revisiting the Simple Burger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Revisiting the Simple Burger

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Revisiting the Simple Burger

Recently, I have tired of all of the complexity of burger recipes and longed for the return of simpler times when a burger was a burger. I suppose part of the problem is the tasteless ground meat one finds today. Lean and formulaic, I can barely eat a plain burger.

So, I started with a meat recipe. 70& ground chuck roast (I picked one from the butcher with plenty of fat and with the gristle removed), 30% ground boneless short ribs with plenty of fat on. Now most of you know how good rib roast fat is, and that's the flavor we are looking for.

Then, a really thin burger. Take a 1/2 pound each, flatten between wax paper with a pie plate until it is about 8" in diameter and 1/2" thiick. Don't touch them with the hands or squeeze them. Just pound to flatten.

I used a store rub from the little spice guy in the outdoor market. Typical stuff: cumin, garlic, pepper, chipotle, cayenne, coriander, etc. Sprinkled sparingly. Warm to room temperature.

A really hot fire of cowboy charcoal and hickory chunks. Gates of hell.

On they go. Flames everywhere. Without a long handled spatula and a glove to the elbow they would have been lost. About a minute and a half, each side.

Now the buns are a problem. Where to get a real bun, thin and airy enough to make a good burger. Good luck. I just bought mine off a guy with a gourmet food truck who bakes his own buns. Part slider, part ciabatta. Toasted face down, five seconds, maybe.

No sauce, no bacon, no mustard. Just a big slice of raw vidalia onion.

Not a complex burger, but very satisfying. Oozing juices. The bun saturated. I think its all in the meat.

Unread 06-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mmm, simplistic in nature but damn that sounds tasty. I agree ,try to find a quality bun these days. They are either overly preserved or crumbly.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Agree. I can't stand a burger that is shaped like a baseball and a bun with three inches of bread.

IMHO, the best burgers are cooked on a flat top.

I like a fairly thin patty. Sometimes cooked on top of onions low and slow like a white castle slider. Most of the time just over medium heat in a cast iron pan, salt and pepper only, on a soft white bun with pickles and mustard. Maybe American cheese but only the deli style, not the cello wrapped "cheez"

George Motz knows how to do it.

http://www.travelchannel.com/interes...ed-motz-burger
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Everybody has different taste and can vary on any day.

I like In-N-Out some days and my own grilled burgers others. I'm not a fan of raw onions on burgers, so you lost me there and our local Whole Foods and Meat Shop have excellent patties, so not sure about where you live. Tons of independent bakeries here too with good buns.

My point being: good to see you're taking burgers seriously, but tastes vary and access to good meat + buns varies by location.
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
Everybody has different taste and can vary on any day.

I like In-N-Out some days and my own grilled burgers others. I'm not a fan of raw onions on burgers, so you lost me there and our local Whole Foods and Meat Shop have excellent patties, so not sure about where you live. Tons of independent bakeries here too with good buns.

My point being: good to see you're taking burgers seriously, but tastes vary and access to good meat + buns varies by location.
I think that you are getting my point exactly.

The In N Out burger is the endpoint, the lowest common denominator, if you will, of everything I am weary of in burgers. Endless components (In N Out even has a series of secret menu items) which each detract in their own way from the basic burger. And, if a couple of slices of local bacon or some Jarlsberg Swiss detract, which is my argument, imagine what a couple of slices of the crappiest american cheese, a styrofoam bun or a hot house tomato like In N Out uses will do to that basic burger.

So, you have hit the nail on the head. Of course you do not have to have a raw Vidalia onion on the burger. Try a real Polish dill pickle perhaps. But, in the end, I think it is about the meat and the bread. And, as you say, one does not have to live in Ohio or Kansas to get these wholesome ingredients. Certainly, it is possible to get locally raised and slaughtered beef even in S.F.
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
ajmorell

It's extremely rare that I buy ground beef for burgers anymore. 99% of the time I grind my own from a quality cut. I try to keep the seasonings simple: salt, pepper, maybe some garlic powder and a dash of Worcestershire. I have a hamburger press I use to make patties, I usually will make them 1/2"-3/4" or so thick.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ground sirloin mixed with a little ground bacon, 1/2LBS, seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled till its cooked through.
Bakery quality bun, toasted on the grill.
Lettuce, tomato, onion, Cheese, ketchup, and mustard.
Some times, cooked bacon and BBQ sauce.
SDDAVE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Groung sirloin mixed with a little ground bacon, 1/2LBS, seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled till its cooked through.
Bakery quality bun, toasted on the grill.
Lettuce, tomatoe, onion, Cheese, ketchup, and mustard.
Some times, cooked bacon and BBQ sauce.
I have always been interested in the difference between the rendering point of bacon and that of beef. It seems to take a lot of heat to have bacon give up its fat, but then the solid bacon fat turns back into a liquid at body temperature. Hard to understand that.

Beef fat is rendering out of the meat way below what it takes for bacon.

Do you have an understanding of this process? I've been using beef short ribs so the fat is running everywhere by the time a burger get to medium. Does the bacon fat render out at that temperature? Seems unlikely given how bacon is oven cooks at much higher temperatures than beef.

Tell me what you know.

BTW, ground sirloin is my least favorite beef for grinding. I don't even like the consistency of it in a burger, much less the dryness of it. No offense, but I think you might want to try some alternatives.
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I have always been interested in the difference between the rendering point of bacon and that of beef. It seems to take a lot of heat to have bacon give up its fat, but then the solid bacon fat turns back into a liquid at body temperature. Hard to understand that.

Beef fat is rendering out of the meat way below what it takes for bacon.

Do you have an understanding of this process? I've been using beef short ribs so the fat is running everywhere by the time a burger get to medium. Does the bacon fat render out at that temperature? Seems unlikely given how bacon is oven cooks at much higher temperatures than beef.

Tell me what you know.

BTW, ground sirloin is my least favorite beef for grinding. I don't even like the consistency of it in a burger, much less the dryness of it. No offense, but I think you might want to try some alternatives.
Slaters 50/50 does it with bacon. If it were me I would par cook the bacon first. I just threw out ground sirloin, because anything else with bacon, tooooo much fat!
SDDAVE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
Slaters 50/50 does it with bacon. If it were me I would par cook the bacon first. I just threw out ground sirloin, because anything else with bacon, tooooo much fat!
Well, I'm definitely going to try that first with raw ground bacon. There is never too much fat in a burger for me as long as it melts.

Beef fat will melt in your hands while you are working the raw patties if one is not careful. I just don't like the texture of sirloin (or tenderloin) for a burger.

Those short ribs have a lot of fat. And, the fat has the flavor.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Mix 2/3 ground beef with 1/3 ground pork. Add quality garlic powder, a little salt, onion powder, and red pepper. Cook until its cooked all the way through with no pink at all but not over cooked.

Spread garlic butter on the buns then toast them.

Dress the rest of it to your liking.

Here is a tip. Store bought tomatoes usually are bland and taste like plastic. Obviously there is no substitute for home grown vine ripened tomatoes, but there is something you can do. Apply a little ketchup to store bought tomatoes will enhance them. Something else I Have read about is using fried or grilled grilled green tomatoes on burgers, but have not tried that myself.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I got to agree with jbolty here .

Although I am a big grilling guy some of the best burgers and steaks can be cooked in very hot cast iron pans or low and slow on a grill .
A quicky burger on a grill does not have the smoke taste that I want if I am grilling .

Prot, I like useing a 1/3 mix with hot ground pork sausage too .

Yum .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It all comes down to using quality meat and treating it well and simply. No one would drown a prime rib or t bone in A1 sauce, because it does not need it. There is nothing inherently wrong with mixing in seasonings or marinades but there is no substitute for the beefy taste of beef cooked to perfection with just a little salt.

I do like a little shredded lettuce but I save the tomatoes for the BLT. But if I want a little extra something on my burger a little mayo on the bottom bun with some mild or medium salsa is a nice touch.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #14
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I am not to picky on how to make/serve them but a healthy piece of raw onion in the mix is a must .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
It all comes down to using quality meat and treating it well and simply. No one would drown a prime rib or t bone in A1 sauce, because it does not need it. There is nothing inherently wrong with mixing in seasonings or marinades but there is no substitute for the beefy taste of beef cooked to perfection with just a little salt.
^^^This

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.