New Lodge Dutch Oven - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > New Lodge Dutch Oven

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineORS Recovery RopeSynthetic Winch Rope from ORS

Unread 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

New Lodge Dutch Oven

I just got back a little while ago from Lodge Cast Iron store in South Pittsburg Tennessee. I bought a new 10 Dutch oven from where they are made. It is the deep ten inch. They had a fourteen inch oven. I'm thinking maybe I should of bought the fourteen. What do you think? The fourteen looked really big, but I did not think that I don't have to feel it all the way up with food. I bought my oven to feed the three of us, my wife, son, and myself. The paper work says it will feed four to seven people, but we really like to eat. What is the best one for us?

Mopar03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I would think that would be plenty big enough for the three of you .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

you can always add another should the need arise. for now, it should be fine.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
FiveLakesYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with phitmein. The oven you bought should be big enough to feed the three of you. I have the shallow 10 inch (among others) and use it mostly for breads, brownies or cakes. I have used it for stew on occasion and it works good for that, but the deeper one would be better.

My 12" can feed six to eight easily. My 14 feeds our Scout troop.
FiveLakesYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Your pan is similar to this one maybe and that thing is 5 quarts .

You three may be big eaters but I can't even begin to picture yall eating over a gallon of chilli, soup, etc. at one sitting .
Unread 01-26-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Your pan is similar to this one maybe and that thing is 5 quarts .

You three may be big eaters but I can't even begin to picture yall eating over a gallon of chilli, soup, etc. at one sitting .
Lol. I can't see us eating a gallon at one sitting either. Yes mine is the five gallon oven. So I'm assuming it would be hard to cook small amounts in the fourteen gallon oven. Or would cooking small amounts in the fourteen be alright?
Unread 01-26-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quarts, I think maybe ?

Gallons I really question ?
Unread 01-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #8
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes quarts is correct. What was I thinking? Would a fourteen inch oven work properly if I cook small amounts of food, or do you have to fill them up when you cook in them?
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

You can cook smaller amounts in them but they can over cook quickly. I would stick with the 10 for your family size. My family uses the 14 to feed 10-16 people and it normally has some left over.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
You can cook smaller amounts in them but they can over cook quickly. I would stick with the 10 for your family size. My family uses the 14 to feed 10-16 people and it normally has some left over.
Thanks. Will the ten inch oven be big enough for pork roast with all the fixings, or Cornish hens with all the fixings? Do I need two differant ovens? When you feed 10-16 people what kind of food are you cooking? I started off just wanting to do chili or stew now I have been looking at recipes for roast and chicken. The recipes I see call for a 12 inch oven.
Unread 01-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #11
FiveLakesYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Since you have the deep 10, I'd figure a 2 1/2 lb roast would fit with taters and what have ya around it would work. It wouldn't fit in my 10 since it's the shallower one. Two Cornish game hens should fit. Three would probably be a bit much. The 12 is the most common oven for general cooking so most recipes are made for that. It takes a bit of creativity, but you can try different things to see what works.

The most fun in dutch oven cooking is trying new things and finding ways to make it work. Head to the store, find a roast that will fit, add your fixings, cook and see how it turns out. http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/2thumbup.gif
FiveLakesYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 12:07 AM   #12
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

While I don't agree about many things here, like the need of legs and a few other things, all in all it is pretty good reads IMO .

http://www.smdscouts.com/scouts/form...0Beginners.pdf
Unread 02-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #13
Mopar03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I finally had a chance to use my new Lodge dutch oven yesterday evening. I cut up four or five large potatoes, three large onions, one bell pepper, and a dozen pieces of chicken. I marinated the chicken in a large bottle of Stickey Fingers BBQ sauce and cooked everything in D.O. for two hours, and it was delicious. The potatoes soaked up the juices from the chicken and some of the BBQ sauce.
image.jpg  
Unread 02-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #14
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

work it player !

The birds, the word ?
Unread 02-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #15
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

mopar, looks and sounds yummy. did you add any liquid before you started the cooking?
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.