My Smoking experience - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > My Smoking experience

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 06-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
r34civic
1995 ZJ 

but im telling you, give it a try, it will be worth it. today i used KC rib rub, very tasty, tomorrow im doing my companies cajun seasoning (something we give away to customers, we sell engines/transmissions) on one rack, and my homemade rub on another rack. I may throw on a shoulder. Ordering a bigger, better smoker this summer from Lang smokers.

r34civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wood pellet smokers r the way to go.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #18
r34civic
1995 ZJ 

anything wood is the way to go, i dont like having wood directly under the meat though, i have to have a side fire box. i also use a 55 gallon drum for my brisket sometimes.
r34civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
3smoke
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer my ribs cooked without wrapping in tin foil. However my friends and family like the ribs that are wrapped. So you can do both and have a mini competition in your house. Also every one prefers Kansas City sweet and sticky style with mild smoke flavor.
3smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The other reason to use foil is if they are not cooked all the way but don't need any more smoke. Too much and everything tastes like a greasy ash tray.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I sometimes wrap my meat in foil. I haven't yet on ribs but almost always do on butts/shoulders. I've experienced the 160°F stall before and went insane waiting for the pork to start cooking again.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #22
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The other reason to use foil is if they are not cooked all the way but don't need any more smoke. Too much and everything tastes like a greasy ash tray.
or like you used pine as the wood/smoke .

I hear you Cuz .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #23
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

For ribs, about all I've ever done is the St. Louis style pork ribs.

Prep similar to OP, except that when I wrap mine I like to lay the rack on a bed of the rub with extra brown sugar added and then squeeze a generous amount of squeeze butter on top of the rub then place the rack on top of that and then put some more of the rub/brown sugar and more squeeze butter on top of that and close the foil pouch up and cook for another couple of hours. Mine come out tender but not so much so that the meat falls off the bone...The perfect bite nearly every time. Doggone it now I really want to cook some ribs! I haven't cooked any in a long time.....

Almost forgot, I never use sauce on my ribs either...I don't use sauce for anything that isn't chicken. I don't particularly like bbq sauces most of the time so I'll provide a bottle of good sauce so you can sauce it up yourself.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Sometimes, I wrap mine in foil for the last hour too. It just depends on my mood at the time.

Our QU chapter hosted the Quail Unlimited Dog of the year trials several years ago and one of the guys came up with a quick easy method for cooking 250 lbs of pork ribs that day:

We had a huge grill on a 20 foot trailer. Direct heat....which I initially opposed, until one of our members convinced me to try it. We built a low charcoal and hickory fire, prepared the ribs ( removed the membrane), literally coated them with coarse ground garlic salt and black pepper. Tossed them on the grill...cooked them as slow as possible with direct heat. Heated and diluted some BBQ sauce, lined some styrofoam ice chests with trash bags, dropped the slabs of ribs in them, and poured the diluted BBQ sauce over each slab as we stacked them inside the trash bags. Then we sealed the bags, sealed the ice chests and let them sit. We cooked all afternoon, so they sat for a long time.

Naturally, I was extremely skeptical about this technique ( or lack thereof) ,but we had people from all across the nation eat them and everyone was raving about how good they were. Go figure.

I never would have believed it if I had not participated in the ordeal myself.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Sometimes, I wrap mine in foil for the last hour too. It just depends on my mood at the time.

Our QU chapter hosted the Quail Unlimited Dog of the year trials several years ago and one of the guys came up with a quick easy method for cooking 250 lbs of pork ribs that day:

We had a huge grill on a 20 foot trailer. Direct heat....which I initially opposed, until one of our members convinced me to try it. We built a low charcoal and hickory fire, prepared the ribs ( removed the membrane), literally coated them with coarse ground garlic salt and black pepper. Tossed them on the grill...cooked them as slow as possible with direct heat. Heated and diluted some BBQ sauce, lined some styrofoam ice chests with trash bags, dropped the slabs of ribs in them, and poured the diluted BBQ sauce over each slab as we stacked them inside the trash bags. Then we sealed the bags, sealed the ice chests and let them sit. We cooked all afternoon, so they sat for a long time.

Naturally, I was extremely skeptical about this technique ( or lack thereof) ,but we had people from all across the nation eat them and everyone was raving about how good they were. Go figure.

I never would have believed it if I had not participated in the ordeal myself.
Sounds fine if I'm cooking 250 lbs of ribs, but I don't know that I've cooked 250 lbs of ribs in my entire life LOL
I like to give my ribs a lot of love....I've found that the more love I give 'em, the better they turn out. Not like opening the smoker every few minutes....Just being meticulous about even the small details. You don't NEED a thermometer or any of that stuff you see on TV and you absolutely don't need a $10k smoker either. I do all my ribs on a $250 New Braunfels smoker I bought about 15 years ago that no longer has wheels on it and I"ve had to put a piece of sheet metal on the bottom of the firebox because it rusted through. The wheels burnt off in the wildfire we had out here about 2 years ago and for whatever reason it also burnt the black paint off most of the pit and it made the metal way more sensitive to rust....I cooked my first brisket on that pit about 4 months after the fire and 2 weeks later the firebox had a small hole in it that grew to cover almost the entire firebox a month or two later (And yes I empty the ash EVERY time I smoke a hunk of meat.).
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #26
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Agreed on many of the points above.

I smoke out of a 55 gallon drum (this is my brother's setup - I took my UDS to his house that day):

And cook my ribs until they pass the 90° bend test (that's a fatty under the ribs):

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.