My First Barbecue Cookoff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > My First Barbecue Cookoff

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

My First Barbecue Cookoff

Myself and 2 buddies have entered our first Barbecue Cookoff. We get to start smoking stuff (!) tonight at midnight. I'm in charge of the Boston Butts, and the other 2 are taking care of the ribs and chicken legs.

I would have thought I'd be a bit more nervous about it, but if I do what I normally do, I know some damn fine pulled pork is gonna hit the plate. My buddies do a very nice job with the ribs and chicken, so I really think our competition is fighting it out for 2nd place!

So, if you are in Richmond, Va tomorrow, swing out to Baileys on West Broad between 2 & 4 pm, taste some BBQ, and cast a vote for FATTITUDES BARBECUE. You'll help out the St Judes Childrens Hospital, get your belly full, and have a great time!

I'll post up some pics when I get home and recover.

MORE TO COME!
E1wood5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Sounds like a great time. Good luck!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

best of luck from me too and low and slow wins.
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wish I was closer!
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds like a great time! FATTITUDES haha! that's great! Post pics when you get em.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
viimag
1979 CJ5 

What were the results??? Post up some pics. I don't care about first second or third. I care about good food.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, we didnt win. We arent members of the local Restaurant Community, so we didnt have patrons coming to stuff the ballot box, and we didnt use to work with the judges, so we were a little out of our element.

I also let my meat stand on its own (insert lascivious comment here) and did not want to have a sauce to add to it. The smoke flavor, the bark and the juciness of the pulled pork was to be the key. Apparently, our competitors home-made peach barbecue sauce made an impact, because their pork was not near as good as mine.

The bacon wrapped chicken legs were a huge hit, and they smoked for about 5 hrs, and were awesome! I dont care much for chicken legs, but these I'd pay money for in a restaurant.

The ribs (spare ribs-yuck) were really good too. Our partner put an asian style sauce on them that I really liked, but again, the cut of meat just put a bad mojo on them for me.

Sorry for the huge pictures.
2012-09-22_08-52-44_170.jpg   2012-09-22_11-43-44_371.jpg  
MORE TO COME!
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hey well at least you got out there and did it! this is awesome. That chicken looks pretty dARN good I must say. Do you have any picks of the pork inside?
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
viimag
1979 CJ5 

Mmmmmm. Good. I love chicken legs. They look awesome. Looks like fun even though you didn't win, and the fact that it went to a good cause is a great bonus.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm chalking this up as a learning experience. I am still convinced that our barbecue is/was better, and I'd put it up against any in the city. We have a place here that beat Bobby Flay in a cook off 8-10 yrs ago, and I think I'd hold my own against them.
MORE TO COME!
Unread 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
TastykakeWJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sorry to hear that man, i was rooting for ya......but the pork with peach sauce.......thats the secret weapon that won on an episode of BBQ pitmasters....
that was myron mixon's fav. go to sauce. ( he rarley talks about it but one 1 episode he lets it slip) next time you wanna experiment before a cook-off try.......black rasberry BBQ sauce with pork......ive made it about 5 times.... mindblowing .... im going to unleash it next year at the cook-offs....

but hey now you know how the comps work...... sucks that the judges sound biased.
TastykakeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

The part that blows my mind is that the guy that won the judges vote cooked his stuff only for about 6 hrs OVER KINGSFORD CHARCOAL! WTF?

My other bugaboo is that the rules were to have the food ready at 1 pm. 3rd place didnt put the 1st thing on the table until 1:22.

But I'm not bitter. Really.

I've tried to make a couple of sauces at home, but never have gotten the results I want. The closest I've come to making something I liked was a variation on Carolina Style, but with tomato (or Virginia Style, as we call it), but it came out too tomato-y. Maybe if I'd used ketchup as opposed to tomato paste. The blackberry sounds good. I think I'm gonna try to make a sauce using a pomegranate-chipotle sauce. It has a sweet and hot component, and maybe putting a Carolina Style with it may turn out well. Things to think about...
MORE TO COME!
Unread 09-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
TastykakeWJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

pomegranate-chipotle sauce... excuse me while i drool and imagine my ramen is bbq
TastykakeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #14
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastykakeWJ
pomegranate-chipotle sauce... excuse me while i drool and imagine my ramen is bbq
Hilarious. If you've never heard of Tastefully Simple, check'em out online. My mom swears by the pom-chip sauce. She'd put it on a cut if she thought it would help!
MORE TO COME!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.