making charcoal - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 02-03-2015, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12,296
making charcoal

From my understanding you basically bake wood to make charcoal. But what about the coals from an open fire, if cooled can they be used as charcoal?

I recently logged some land and have a lot of left over tops to burn. What can be used for fire wood is already been or being taken. I have mostly smaller limbs, 3 inches and smaller.


01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
Ross is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 02-04-2015, 05:05 AM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,375
I remember my grandfather and his neighbor making charcoal by continuously piling a mountain of stuff on burning debris with a tractor. I'd say if you tried it today the EPA would send in war planes to take you out.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is online now  
post #3 of 21 Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I remember my grandfather and his neighbor making charcoal by continuously piling a mountain of stuff on burning debris with a tractor. I'd say if you tried it today the EPA would send in war planes to take you out.
People burn of fields and to clear out parts their our woods every spring out my way, this is after I did some logging. Burning wood piles, trash, land is common my way.


01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
Ross is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 PM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
People burn of fields and to clear out parts their our woods every spring out my way, this is after I did some logging. Burning wood piles, trash, land is common my way.

Glad to hear there are still parts of the US under civilian control.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is online now  
post #5 of 21 Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Glad to hear there are still parts of the US under civilian control.
Ohio restricts burning like this?

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
Ross is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 02-11-2015, 12:54 PM
216yj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

Ohio restricts burning like this?
Northeast Ohio / Cuyahoga does. You may not open burn certain things: garbage related to food, rubber, grease, asphalt, plastic coated wire. And sorry guys dead animals are off the table too..
216yj is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216yj View Post
Northeast Ohio / Cuyahoga does. You may not open burn certain things: garbage related to food, rubber, grease, asphalt, plastic coated wire. And sorry guys dead animals are off the table too..
Do you have to cook them alive or eat them raw if they are dead?

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
Ross is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 02-11-2015, 03:22 PM
216yj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 168
I assume they mean an entire carcus. But I love the way it's worded. Technically the mean open burning (I guess like a bon fire) grilling/cooking out is totally different.
216yj is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 02-13-2015, 01:20 AM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Ohio restricts burning like this?
Everywhere does. Even in Missouri. Special rules apply in City of St. Louis and St. Charles, St. Louis, Jefferson, Franklin, Clay, Cass, Buchanan, Ray, Jackson, Platte and Greene Counties severely restricting open burning. Everywhere else is just like Ohio.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is online now  
post #10 of 21 Old 02-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Jakobi
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Klamath Falls
Posts: 92
It's not just "baking" the wood that makes charcoal. You have to do it in an oxygen free environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal

What kind of wood is it?

"Flying is easy, all you have to do is throw yourself at the ground and miss."
-Douglas Adams
Jakobi is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 02-13-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Everywhere does. Even in Missouri. Special rules apply in City of St. Louis and St. Charles, St. Louis, Jefferson, Franklin, Clay, Cass, Buchanan, Ray, Jackson, Platte and Greene Counties severely restricting open burning. Everywhere else is just like Ohio.
We only have restrictions depending on wind and how dry it is. People burn down their structures when they are done with them, fields and their own woods. I am in Texas county, MO.

Fire department can not come on to private property with out permission, unless there is risk to life or immediate threat of other peoples property otherwise they are trespassing.

They will burn your stuff for a donation.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
Ross is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 02-13-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
It's not just "baking" the wood that makes charcoal. You have to do it in an oxygen free environment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal

What kind of wood is it?
It would be mostly oak. I did do a little research. You basically need to build a fire or generate heat around a can (upside down with hole to let the smoke out) were the wood is. Let if bake and watch the color of the smoke coming out the holes.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
Ross is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 02-14-2015, 04:10 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sussex
Posts: 12,052
any one remember when burning leaves was legal and burning the flag was illegal ?
pentastarguy is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 02-15-2015, 03:31 PM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
We only have restrictions depending on wind and how dry it is. People burn down their structures when they are done with them, fields and their own woods. I am in Texas county, MO.

Fire department can not come on to private property with out permission, unless there is risk to life or immediate threat of other peoples property otherwise they are trespassing.

They will burn your stuff for a donation.
MO bans some burning statewide.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is online now  
post #15 of 21 Old 02-15-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 12,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
MO bans some burning statewide.
I am sure paint, batteries, chemicals etc. But you'll need a warrant to go through my burn pile.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
Ross is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome