jones'n for some smoked meats - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > jones'n for some smoked meats

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

jones'n for some smoked meats

gonna try to update this as i go. I grill out nearly on a daily basis during the summer, and usually have something on the smoker every weekend.

I hate the wood "foodie", but i guess i am one of sorts. I love food, i love to eat so in turn, i learned to be a decent cook, but my passion is the grill/smoker.

I rarely follow a recipe for anything, and unless it is something truely spectacular i never do the same thing twice. I make most of my own rubs, and almost always have a new BBQ sauce to try homemade or not.

Today, we do Poultry. wish i had some pics, but alas all i have is the finished product.

Started with a 3lb boneless turkey breast. nothing special, whatever the local market had on hand, i think mine is a butterball.

thawed it in the refrigerator a couple days prior to cooking. to start, i used stubbs chipotle butter as an injection for it. injected it about 3 hours prior to cooking to give it some time to soak in. while soaking, i made a simple rub of ground chiplotles, brown sugar, cayenne pepper. and a bit of tubinado sugar, and a bit of kosher salt. a bit of sweet and spicy

fired up the smoker to about 225. Time seems to vary. this is my first time doing a turkey breast, and i found online anywhere from 2 hour up to 5 to do the same size breast. i check the internal temp every time i add water/wood/coal to it and mine took right at 4 hours to get an internal temp of 165.

when i put teh breast on the smoker, instead of placing it directly on the grate, for the first 2 hours or so i had it in a disposable pan with a stick of butter. it kept it moist, and allowed it to catch the drippings of the meat to keep the flavor where i wanted it, in the bird. after teh first 2 hours, i pulled it off and placed it directly on the grate, to allow it to get a better crust on it and finish cooking through.

finished pics coming soon.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.