Ideas for adding charcoal to a pig roaster. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Ideas for adding charcoal to a pig roaster.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ideas for adding charcoal to a pig roaster.

Ok, so I'm going to start building a pig roaster put of a 250 gallon old oil tank. I have all my ideas down except how to add more charcoal, if I need to,during a cook. I was thinking a door on the side with a pullout tray. Or pull the cooking surface out and throw it in that way. I'm not sure. Any ideas would be great. If you're reading Phit, feel free to help.

MIjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
Ok, so I'm going to start building a pig roaster put of a 250 gallon old oil tank. I have all my ideas down except how to add more charcoal, if I need to,during a cook. I was thinking a door on the side with a pullout tray. Or pull the cooking surface out and throw it in that way. I'm not sure. Any ideas would be great. If you're reading Phit, feel free to help.
Are you trying to make a grill or a slow smoker MI ?

Direct or indirect heat ?

Mobile or not ?

Need more imput .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
Are you trying to make a grill or a slow smoker MI ? Direct or indirect heat ? Mobile or not ? Need more imput .
Definitely on a trailer. Indirect. Not so much a smoker as a roaster. I won't have a firebox on it just charcoal at the bottom. No crappy kings ford. I will use lump charcoal.
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

never built a grill, but you either need to fab some kind of door in the tank to add charcoal, or making a hinged grill such as the weber kettle grill.
pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy
never built a grill, but you either need to fab some kind of door in the tank to add charcoal, or making a hinged grill such as the weber kettle grill.
I agree. I'm debating whether I should have a pull out shelf where I can just lay the charcoal on the shelf and slide it back in or just have a door and throw it in there.
Unread 04-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Locutus
1999 WJ 

cut the back out and make a chute on hinges and chains for support. open the back and dump in charcoal
Unread 04-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Sounds cool MI, thanks for asking for my imput .

You could make the door or doors bottom come to about 6-8 inches below the cooking shelf .

Then you could just shovel coals under the grate .

I would also make the grate where it will slide out to make it easy to load,unload,baste etc.

I would also have an upper grate so I could cook twice as much chicken, ribs, steak etc.

Your future grill will make a good smoker too if you put coals on only one side .
Unread 04-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to have the main cooking grate pull out. That way when the food is done I can pull it out and carve it without being burnt. I'm going to look at a 250 gallon oil tank tomorrow. Hopefully it's decent enough I can't make some magic happen.
Unread 04-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

is it an oil tank or a propane tank MI ?

An oil tank probably is not nearly as thick of metal as a propane tank and thick is what you want in a grill IMO .
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My cousins do a pig roast for every event. Probably 10 times a year. The last one was in late November.

Usually not a huge hog, but certainly adult pigs. Their roaster has a meat tray made from steel grate with two long handles extending from each end which nest in grooves in the ends of bottom half of the tank. The meat tray is not as wide as the tank so charcoal can just be added from the sides with the top open. When it is time to carve, two guys on each end lift the meat tray out and put it on the picnic table that has been covered with aluminum foil. At their house, they have one that has a 2x2 border around the top that acts as a dam for the liquids.

I think they did start from a 250 gallon fuel oil tank, laid on its side and cut in half and hinged.
Unread 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just picked up the oil tank. 275 gallons.

image-538619958.jpg
Unread 04-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I figure the oil will be ok bc I will be doing low and slow cooks. It will wear over time. I understand that. Dealing with the propane tank is more dangerous to deal with when cutting open.
Unread 04-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The oil is no problem. Its No 2 that was in there and it will burn out completely. Not like it was waste motor oil or something.

That tank is pretty flat. Which way are you going to cut it? My cousins' is more wide than high and there is never a problem because the pig is flattened out back up, belly down, when they roast.
Unread 04-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #14
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ohhh I wasn't worried about the oil part I was answering Phit because he mentioned something about the metal possibly being to think on the oil tank. I'm going to have it stand normal for operation. I originally wanted to lay it flat but my plans need me to stand it upright. If only it were another foot wider. Then id be golden.
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its a good looking tank but it seems a bit tall and narrow to cut it that way. But, good luck and post up some more photos when you get started. Do you have a plan for the upper and lower vents?

The cousins cook all night. They start it in the night for an afternoon pig feast the next day. Low and slow. Its quite a spectacle when they take it out. Crispy skin and fat and dark smoke ring on everything.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.