I need some creative grilling ideas... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > I need some creative grilling ideas...

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I need some creative grilling ideas...

So I've been doing regular events this summer for a moderately big group of people... We've done cook outs, river floats, etc. If I'm not mistaken, something like 53 people came to the first cook out at a local park and a friend of mine was nice enough to bring his cheap gas grill to let me cook on so I didn't have to do it on the nasty park grills. I grilled both beef and pork/turkey/chicken hot dogs, and premium burgers that I put way too much time into forming and seasoning--along with corn still in the husk, and pineapple. People brought drinks, chips, salsa, dips, hummus, cupcakes, brownies, cake, etc. Anyway, lots of fun with my "Island Attitude" theme.

Fast forward to this coming Sunday: I'm hosting a tubing trip at the river. The location charges $2.00 per vehicle for parking, and $9.00 per person for the entire day on the weekend. That fee includes the tube itself, all day bus pass to float the river and catch the bus back to the top to do it again, and on top of all of that it gives you unlimited access to the picnic area at the end of the float. They provide the park/camp grills, charcoal, paper plates, napkins, etc.. All you have to provide is whatever you want to grill, and enjoy with your meal. Personally, I think it's great! The last trip I took on the river was with a smaller group of people and all I took were hot dogs, buns, and beer all purchased at the gas station on the way there, last minute. This trip on Sunday is going to have somewhere between 20-30+ people, and I've already mentioned that I planned to provide hamburgers and hot dogs, but I'm wondering if anyone had any other ideas for things that could be cooked on one of those camp/park grills. Keep in mind, I don't want to get too out of control considering how many people will potentially be there, and I don't want to have to transport *too much* considering it will likely be floating in a cooler down the river with me. It needs to be able to safely stay on ice for a reasonable amount of time, and needs to be easy to cook, eat, and clean up.

Enough rambling from me! Give me some good ideas, folks! There's nothing that makes me happier than filling my belly under the sun with a group of good, happy people! Perhaps a few beers, some good food hot off of the grill, the sunshine, and a tube on the river. That's all it takes to make an otherwise drab weekend amazing.

'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Kabobs; veggie, beef and chicken. Forget the burgers and dogs and avoid having to drag along condiments and buns.

Make and season them ahead of time and just toss on the grill. Use bamboo sticks and there is almost no cleanup and no need for plates.

Lots of other options too including pineaple chunks and boiled cubed potatoes.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love kabobs, but I don't know if that would be as universally accepted by this many people. Everyone loves burgers and dogs.

I grilled some pineapple 'kabobs' the last time we did a cookout. They were delicious.

As for ability to eliminate the plates, fortunately that's not something I have to lug around. They keep all that stuff and provide it for free.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Might want to look into some interesting forms of sausage as well. Being of Polish heritage, Kielbasa is always a favorite, but Whole Foods makes a nice Chicken Pesto sausage and Chicken Italian sausage that might add some variety to the mix.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
justanotherjpr

Personally I would go mostly with the hot dogs. Very few utensils needed and very little clean up.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
I love kabobs, but I don't know if that would be as universally accepted by this many people. Everyone loves burgers and dogs.

I grilled some pineapple 'kabobs' the last time we did a cookout. They were delicious.

As for ability to eliminate the plates, fortunately that's not something I have to lug around. They keep all that stuff and provide it for free.
If your friends think chicken kabobs are strange and exoctic you better forget creative.

But, I still stand by it. Everyone thinks of burgers and dogs first for simple bbq but unless you are going plain you still need to drag along ketchup, mustard, relish, cheese and buns (without mashing them flat in the moving) I go camping a lot and always try to bring the absolute minimum while still making something worthwhile and with nothing to carry home
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
If your friends think chicken kabobs are strange and exoctic you better forget creative.

But, I still stand by it. Everyone thinks of burgers and dogs first for simple bbq but unless you are going plain you still need to drag along ketchup, mustard, relish, cheese and buns (without mashing them flat in the moving) I go camping a lot and always try to bring the absolute minimum while still making something worthwhile and with nothing to carry home
LOL! I don't disagree with you... I'd personally love to bring chicken/beef kabobs with me, and I might bring a few along, but I was just trying to think of things that a massive group of people could enjoy without being too picky and without spending a sickening amount of money.

As for condiments, I've basically told everyone to feel free to bring along whatever they want if they're not okay with bare food. We can certainly park a vehicle to keep the picnic stuff in by the grill area and go back up to the top to start the adventure. I'd love to bring little chicken tenders to grill but that's probably going overboard already.
Unread 07-16-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

You can make so kabobs in so many different ways. I would def use that. Sausage, chicken, steak, (personal favorite) pepperoni, plus a large assortment of veggies and you can't go wrong. I prefer to use metal skewers myself so for a crowd 53 large it might be tough. But marinate the meat over night, first thing in the morning put the skewers together, wrap it all up and head out. I do that for tailgates if I want to shake things up.

It's def a bit pricier than burgers or dogs, but for a blowout or special occasion it'll really go over well.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

I'll have to agree kabobs have never been a miss at any gathering. If I am hosting and it isn't a bring your own beef theme, we do kabobs. As Wardo said they can be made in soo many different ways. Just have a variety of different meats, vegetables and fruit spread out and have people make their own. All you have to do is supervise the cooking if they aren't comfortable with it. This way there is no complaining about not liking what's on it.

You can also just make a rack of some large slabs of meat. Although this may fall into the not so easy part as you would pretty much need a designated cook
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm definitely going to do the kabobs at the next legitimate cookout--on land... I like the idea of letting people build their own kabobs so there's no bickering.

We only ended up with 13 people tubing yesterday, myself included, and I'm glad all I brought was burgers and dogs. You wouldn't believe how people still had things to bicker about. "You didn't bring any ketchup???" "What, no lettuce and tomato?"

No, sorry, I provided everything and advised you all that it was going to be VERY simple.. if you wanted any condiments, I instructed you to bring them. *******es! lol
Unread 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
ruggedscotsman
2000 WJ 

sardines and herring will grill up nice....'creative' enough to be unique, yet familiar enough that most folks will try 'em....
ruggedscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
G-Wag
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

If you want simple and time for you to enjoy them scene, try a quality sausage in a tortilla. Let your guests dress it up to there likes with bbq sauce, sauerkraut with mustard, hot sauce, grilled red peppers, onions, jalapenos. Try hot dogs with corn tortillas with mustard as a spin on corn dogs. Grilled chicken in flour tortillas with hot sauce or salsa is a easy winner, depending one your crowd.
G-Wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
viimag
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Wag
If you want simple and time for you to enjoy them scene, try a quality sausage in a tortilla. Let your guests dress it up to there likes with bbq sauce, sauerkraut with mustard, hot sauce, grilled red peppers, onions, jalapenos. Try hot dogs with corn tortillas with mustard as a spin on corn dogs. Grilled chicken in flour tortillas with hot sauce or salsa is a easy winner, depending one your crowd.
Sausage and tortillas are a go to favorite at every camp fire event we have. Easy and fun to cook. No mess to clean up. Minimal ingredients. This is a win win item all around.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Backwoods potatoes and onions
Potatoes
Just wrap up some fingerling potatoes in foil with butter/olive oil and some seasoning (optional bay leaf) put on the coals and turn every so often

Onion
Sink a whole onion, blossom then wrap in foil add butter(no more butter than that), cumin, turmeric, garlic, chili and paprika to fast then put near the coals till done.

Other than that I love to grill unhusked corn on the grill, just soaks it for an hour befor hand inward with salt and sugar
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #15
ptwhaler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Saw this too late for your trip but for other cookouts consider "beef bundles". Found it in a grilling cookbook and it reminded me of making these as a kid in the boy scouts. You take ground beef ( would probably work with any kind of meat) prepare it like you would for a burger or meatloaf. We mix in seasonings, chopped onion, pepper etc. Form it into single serving size little meatloafs, a little more thicker and maybe more oval shape than a burger would be. Place it on a layer of aluminum foil, I actually double it up if not using the heavy duty stuff. Cut up potatoes, bell pepper, onion what ever you want to have with it. We even add some pineapple. Place it all on top of the beef, season however you like. Then fold the sides of the foils up over everything and connect the 2 sides, the ends can be rolled up and twisted forming sort of a handle at the top. Then you just set it on the grill for around 25 to 30 min. The bottom part of the meat might get a little overdone sometimes but you can dump the whole thing out on a paper plate and toss the foil away. No clean up involved and everything cooks together.

That being said, I still do kebabs more than anything
ptwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.