How to cook better brisket? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > How to cook better brisket?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #76
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

Oh, that sounds good. Just a little raw garlic?
Yessir

For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #77
pegleg1960
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hey Monkeybomber! Your flank steak like brisket was due to inadequate cooking time. I started my first real job at a BBQ restaurant when I was 13. Worked there until I was 18. I'm no expert but I did learn how to cook BBQ.
Here is what I recommend...
Apply your rub and refrigerate for 12 hours. Put the brisket(9 1/2 to 13 lbs.) on the smoker fresh out of the cooler. When you start the brisket your temp should be no higher than 275 F., cook the brisket for 12 to 14 hours and never let the temp get higher than 325. I have cooked at least 20,000 pounds of brisket with that method. For ribs do the same thing except you only cook the slab for about 4 hours.
Tip: after you cook the brisket, place it in a tub or large pan and add a few inches of water. This will keep the brisket from drying out and the real benefit is when you pour off the liquid. Save that liquid and put it in the fridge. The next day, remove the hard fat from the surface and you will have some beef jelly remaining. Man! That stuff is awesome to add into a homemade BBQ sauce. I have nade thousands of gallons of sauce 55 gallons at a time using that stuff.
pegleg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #78
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegleg1960
Save that liquid and put it in the fridge. The next day, remove the hard fat from the surface and you will have some beef jelly remaining. Man! That stuff is awesome to add into a homemade BBQ sauce. I have nade thousands of gallons of sauce 55 gallons at a time using that stuff.
This. But don't toss that smokey grease either. Freeze it, take small chunks and put it in your beans. It's loaded with flavor.
CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 06:22 PM   #79
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

I'm about to get into a bbq cookoff that the Texas Lineman's Rodeo has every year in Seguin...I haven't done any competition bbq yet so I'll just be helping out a friend at work who is into competition bbq'ing. I just want to get a feel for my everyday brisket which I have IMO and basically anyone that has tried it "perfected". I'm also on the lookout for a good trailer pit to pull behind my WJ (once I get a hitch on it of course LOL).

I never realized how expensive an offset smoker on a trailer is. I can't find a halfway decent one for under $1500. And I don't have a pit that I would feel comfortable taking to a competition cookoff....During the wildfire a few years ago the wheels got burnt off along with the wood grate on the front of it and the paint is about 90% burnt off but after re-seasoning it I can still cook a great brisket on it. I actually had two almost identical pits but for some reason on one of them the firebox rusted completely through about 6 months after the fire. I guess the fire got so hot it must have done something to the metal to make it more susceptible to rust. It was within 20' of the house. The other one that I'm using now was more like 100' from the house and didn't get near as hot.

HEre's my old pit right after the fire... R.I.P..

JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #80
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

This is the last brisket I cooked about a month ago along with home made tater salad and ranch style beans straight out of the can with a little brisket grease stirred in. I got lazy and tired on this one though....I smoked it for 8 hours and then got tired and ran out of beer and brought it inside and put it in the turkey roasting oven for another 6 hours or so at 240 degrees and went to bed. I don't do my own beans b/c I like the taste of ranch style beans and would rather have those so I've just never learned.

It wasn't the best that I've made but it was better than any BBQ joint brisket I've ever had.

JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #81
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

wow, this thread really got a lot of replies! Just read through most of it, and you guys were spot on the money- we weren't cooking our brisket long enough. Since then, we've gotten a lot more serious. If we plan on eating brisket at 5PM, then at midnight or so the day before we're lighting the smoker. Also, though for awhile I wasn't the biggest fan of using the oven, as time goes on I'm realizing that the uniform heat and ease of use means that the oven is a really valid way to (partially) cook any BBQ, be it ribs, pork, or beef.

At this point, I'm begining to think about getting another smoker- i'm not the biggest fan of the offset style. I feel that the heat distribution is pretty uneven during smoking, and we have to shift around meat during cooking to keep everything from getting to hot on the surface! Additionally, I bought a cheapo Brinkmann offset smoker, and the damn thing is rusted to all hell and back only after two years. I'll admit I could take better care of it (it's sat uncovered in a rainstorm once or twice) but it's typcially covered well. On windy/cold days it can't generate enough heat to cook meat properly, and to top it all off, after about 12 hours of cooking, the damn firebox is so full of ash that there's not enough O2 flow to keep up the heat. I've had my eye on a weber smokey mountain for awhile; or something similar to it.

For those of you with the round tower style smoker, how have you liked it? Has it held up well? I'm not planning on buying another smoker after this one for awhile.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #82
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I love my UDS. It cooks well, holds heat like no other, and only cost about $100 to make. If I dump a bag of charcoal in the basket and kick it on, 10 hours later plenty remains.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.