How to cook better brisket? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > How to cook better brisket?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #61
Cwest22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow2kgt
I have that exact model Brinkman you posted. It's OK as a starter for you to test the waters. However, as said before, the metal is too thin and the unit is not anything near air tight. On top of that the charcoal bowl and water bowl are too small requiring constant attention. I actually spent a few hours welding a catch pan for the bottom and drilling several 7/16" holes in the charcoal bowl. Without that the charcoal bowl would get filled with ash and snuff out the coals. My wife bought me that unit a few years ago and I will admit I had a lot of fun successfully smoking ribs. However, when trying a longer smoke (Boston butt) it required constant attention and I would have a hard time keeping the temps up because of the small bowl over a long period of time. I just bought a Weber Smokey Mountain and love the fact that I can set the vents and having enough charcoal and water for a good 12 hours or more without touching it and it stays at a constant temp.
thanks everyone guess ill just save for a weber sounds better to just get that one

Unread 11-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #62
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Any electric smokers you guys have had success with? My dad's old one never had a problem making a good brisket but it finally died so I might buy him a new one for Christmas.
Unread 11-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #63
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Any electric smokers you guys have had success with? My dad's old one never had a problem making a good brisket but it finally died so I might buy him a new one for Christmas.
I had a Brinkman electric and it was a POS.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #64
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

I've never owned an electric grill or smoker and honestly wouldn't unless it was electric start and wood/charcoal burning. If I'm smoking meat, I'm using wood...not charcoal or wood chips or pellets.

I'm sure others here have had great luck using that kind of stuff but from where I'm from you use WOOD. Oak, Pecan, Fruitwood(if you're lucky enough to be able to get some), or at a bare minimum charcoal with wet wood chips thrown in for smoke. Like I say, if you watch your temps closely and keep a constant eye on the fire I'm sure you'll be fine, but with my pit (A New Braunfels smoker offset smoker) similar to this one: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=32 and I can tell you personally that this smoker has cooked probably 100 or more briskets, 15 or 20 boston butts, 20 or 30 racks of pork ribs, countless bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, and more burgers than I could possibly count over the last 10 years. And honestly whatever pit you use you're going to have to get used to how much wood it uses and how hot it burns. Mine uses 1 12" piece of oak every hour to hour and a half without fail. I know exactly how long to put a brisket on and what temps to run to get my preferred results. And it almost never fails, ambient temperature be damned. The metal is def. not extremely thick, but it's thicker than what you'd get from a brinkman offset pit.

The main thing is, you're going to cook a few slabs of dead animal carcass in your pit before you learn how hot and how much wood your pit uses.....IMO as long as you're burning wood and you're not getting to techy about it and take the time to learn (Read: Don't expect perfection the first few attempts) then you'll be fine.

But yeah, screw those electric bbq pits. The even temps you get aren't worth the reduction of smoke(FLAVOR) you get with any kind of meat. Unless you're just interested in cooking burgers and then I say hell yeah get an electric grill.....Those are great for people who don't know any better.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #65
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski
I've never owned an electric grill or smoker and honestly wouldn't unless it was electric start and wood/charcoal burning. If I'm smoking meat, I'm using wood...not charcoal or wood chips or pellets. I'm sure others here have had great luck using that kind of stuff but from where I'm from you use WOOD. Oak, Pecan, Fruitwood(if you're lucky enough to be able to get some), or at a bare minimum charcoal with wet wood chips thrown in for smoke. Like I say, if you watch your temps closely and keep a constant eye on the fire I'm sure you'll be fine, but with my pit (A New Braunfels smoker offset smoker) similar to this one: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=32 and I can tell you personally that this smoker has cooked probably 100 or more briskets, 15 or 20 boston butts, 20 or 30 racks of pork ribs, countless bacon wrapped cream cheese stuffed jalapenos, and more burgers than I could possibly count over the last 10 years. And honestly whatever pit you use you're going to have to get used to how much wood it uses and how hot it burns. Mine uses 1 12" piece of oak every hour to hour and a half without fail. I know exactly how long to put a brisket on and what temps to run to get my preferred results. And it almost never fails, ambient temperature be damned. The metal is def. not extremely thick, but it's thicker than what you'd get from a brinkman offset pit. The main thing is, you're going to cook a few slabs of dead animal carcass in your pit before you learn how hot and how much wood your pit uses.....IMO as long as you're burning wood and you're not getting to techy about it and take the time to learn (Read: Don't expect perfection the first few attempts) then you'll be fine. But yeah, screw those electric bbq pits. The even temps you get aren't worth the reduction of smoke(FLAVOR) you get with any kind of meat. Unless you're just interested in cooking burgers and then I say hell yeah get an electric grill.....Those are great for people who don't know any better.
That's the same smoker I have, I like it and would recommend it also. I'd love to cook with just wood but out here in the California desert the wood you mentioned is hard to come by. I use charcoal and hickory a lot.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #66
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
That's the same smoker I have, I like it and would recommend it also. I'd love to cook with just wood but out here in the California desert the wood you mentioned is hard to come by. I use charcoal and hickory a lot.

Totally understandable. I cook with the wood that is readily available around here which is post oak, some pecan (which btw is freaking awesome bbq wood) and when I am able I buy a bag of fruit wood chips and soak them and put them in every hour or so when I go out to check the fire....So every hour or hour and a half. A few woods that I can guarantee will ruin a brisket or any other slab of beef are Elm of any type, obviously cedar and pine, and IMO mesquite....The thing with mesquite is that it give a good flavor to meats that require high heat but for a slow and low meat like a brisket, mesquite just burns too hot and has too much resin and won't add that much flavor to the meat for the pain in the *** it causes to keep your temps normalized. Mesquite will jump a bbq pits heat up by 50-100 degrees...I've checked this personally. It just isn't worth it. Mesquite is GREAT for chicken, ribs (as long as you keep a close eye on the heat), and steaks but I won't put a stick of mesquite in my pit when I'm cooking a brisket or any other "slow and low" piece of meat for all the tea in china.

I'm absolutely serious when I say you don't have to have some kind of high dollar bbq pit to smoke a good brisket. I'm quite sure that anyone out there that is ok with putting the time and effort into it can cook a great hunk of meat in an electric smoker or one of those weird looking vertical barrel smokers (IMO of course).

As long as YOU like it, then it's good. It's when you start serving it to other people that it starts making a difference. And in my experience I've gotten great results from my half-assed cheap offset barrel smoker. But when I smoke a brisket I generally pull an all nighter and have a case of beer or so on hand to keep me company.
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #67
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Man I just realized I think I've posted more in this thread than any other thread on this entire forum......I freaking LOVE cooking a brisket...Hell for that matter any big hunk of meat, but especially brisket. Such a great piece of meat when it's cooked properly and such a horrible piece of meat if cooked improperly and trust me, I've cooked some improper briskets.....but practice makes perfect so I continue onward....through the fog. Also, cooking one now and I have a little over a 12pack of beer in my belleh so w00t w00t!
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #68
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski
Man I just realized I think I've posted more in this thread than any other thread on this entire forum......I freaking LOVE cooking a brisket...Hell for that matter any big hunk of meat, but especially brisket. Such a great piece of meat when it's cooked properly and such a horrible piece of meat if cooked improperly and trust me, I've cooked some improper briskets.....but practice makes perfect so I continue onward....through the fog. Also, cooking one now and I have a little over a 12pack of beer in my belleh so w00t w00t!
Haha, have a good time. Last time I was at the market I was eyeballing this big piece of ribeye. I've cooked them with charcoal and a little hickory on the grill but haven't tried smoking one yet. Have you ever tried smoking one?

Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #69
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Nah not really.....I mean I've put a ribeye on the pit while smoking a brisket and cooked it to the perfect rare that a steak ought to (IMO) be but it wasn't any better than if I would have done it on the grill.....The only difference was that the "smoked" ribeye didn't have grill marks on it nearly as good as the seared grilled ribeye did.

And to be totally honest....I like my steak better out of the pan than off the grill. Sacreligious? Maybe, but I do like the flavor better that way. My wife likes a steak grilled on the pit better though so usually I bow down to her wishes.
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #70
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski View Post
And to be totally honest....I like my steak better out of the pan than off the grill. Sacreligious? Maybe, but I do like the flavor better that way. My wife likes a steak grilled on the pit better though so usually I bow down to her wishes.
Yep, a steak cooked right in a cast iron skillet/pan is damn hard to beat .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #71
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein

Yep, a steak cooked right in a cast iron skillet/pan is damn hard to beat .
I love steak cooked in a pan too but it smokes out my house. Preheat a skillet to 500° and then sear the meat on both side and then out it under the broiler for a few minutes and its amazing.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #72
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
This is the one I currently have. I bought it about two years ago. Everything I have smoked in it has turned out awesome.

https://id34137.securedata.net/smoki...roducts_id=163
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #73
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
I love steak cooked in a pan too but it smokes out my house. Preheat a skillet to 500° and then sear the meat on both side and then out it under the broiler for a few minutes and its amazing.
To really get a pan seared steak right, try an outside propane burner for a turkey fryer. I think mine is like 150,000btu's and it will turn a cast iiron skillet red. 650 is the right number, IMO. No oil, no sauce, no marinating. Rub with salt and pepper preheat skillet to 650. One minute on each side, then carry inside to the oven to finish at 375 until pink in middle (time depends entirely on the thickness of the meat and if it was allowed to reach room temp before cooking). Cheat by melting a big pat of butter on the steak before presenting. No, it does not soften the crispy seared part. No one will know you did it.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #74
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

To really get a pan seared steak right, try an outside propane burner for a turkey fryer. I think mine is like 150,000btu's and it will turn a cast iiron skillet red. 650 is the right number, IMO. No oil, no sauce, no marinating. Rub with salt and pepper preheat skillet to 650. One minute on each side, then carry inside to the oven to finish at 375 until pink in middle (time depends entirely on the thickness of the meat and if it was allowed to reach room temp before cooking). Cheat by melting a big pat of butter on the steak before presenting. No, it does not soften the crispy seared part. No one will know you did it.
That's pretty much what I do but at 500° I usually finish with a little bit of mince garlic on top.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #75
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
That's pretty much what I do but at 500° I usually finish with a little bit of mince garlic on top.
Oh, that sounds good. Just a little raw garlic?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.