How to cook better brisket? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > How to cook better brisket?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #46
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

that plate would be perfect if there was just a beer in the picture .

phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #47
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
that plate would be perfect if there was just a beer in the picture .
I agree. Haha

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #48
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One of those briskets we smoked the other day. This one was seasoned a little different then one we eat first. This one in my opinion taste better. I just took it out of the fridge to cut it in half, seal it up, and freeze it for later. I started slicing thin pieces off to taste, tasted like bacon, couldn't stop eating it.

image-3922891833.jpg

Unread 11-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #49
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

MMMM, all those little cubes of barky, fatty goodness.....

Also, maybe it's the picture but it looks like you're cutting the meat with the grain rather than against it.....if you're cutting with the grain then don't do that any more. Cut against the grain and meat isn't stringy and is more tender. With the grain is like eating a smoked pot roast.

It doesn't look like it OUGHT to be with the grain, but I see striations in the pic you posted.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #50
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski
MMMM, all those little cubes of barky, fatty goodness..... Also, maybe it's the picture but it looks like you're cutting the meat with the grain rather than against it.....if you're cutting with the grain then don't do that any more. Cut against the grain and meat isn't stringy and is more tender. With the grain is like eating a smoked pot roast. It doesn't look like it OUGHT to be with the grain, but I see striations in the pic you posted.
I was actually cutting against the grain, in this pic it's cold right out of the fridge, and the knife I was using was dull. I was having to saw through it with that knife. Haha. Yeah that bark is some good stuff, loaded with flavor. I took a chunk off the other brisket the other day and added it to some chili. Talk about some good tasting chili.

Unread 11-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #51
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Yeah I figured that because the brisket is cut from side to side (short side) rather than longways, but like I said the pic you posted looks like I can see the striations of the long strands of the meat in it.

I didn't figure you would make that mistake having spent that much time getting it right LOL
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #52
Cwest22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking into getting a smoker and came across this one

http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-810-...614015&sr=1-12

Would this be a good beginner smoker?
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #53
Hotshot
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwest22
I'm looking into getting a smoker and came across this one http://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-810-...614015&sr=1-12 Would this be a good beginner smoker?
Sorry buddy, I don't know anything about this particular smoker and I'm still learning. Any smoker is better then no smoker. I'm guessing the coals and wood go in the bottom door of this one? Or is it electric?

Unread 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #54
Cwest22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot
Sorry buddy, I don't know anything about this particular smoker and I'm still learning. Any smoker is better then no smoker. I'm guessing the coals and wood go in the bottom door of this one? Or is it electric? Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
thh go in bottom door I believe I'm just looking for a decent starter smoker thanks
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #55
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwest22 View Post
thh go in bottom door I believe I'm just looking for a decent starter smoker thanks

I can't speak for a smoker like that, but you could probably make it work but you'd have to really keep an eye on your temps a lot more closely than with an offset smoker. That's my own opinion so take it for what it's worth from someone who's never used anything but that and a plain jane grill (I call a hamburger grill because that's all I cook on it is stuff that does better with direct heat.)
Unread 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #56
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The upright style smokers work pretty well as long as they are sealed well. As for the one you picked out, I unfortunately can't offer any advice.

Personally, I use a UDS...

Inside the Smoker - The coals are located under the grate about an inch above the shiny catch pan. I don't use any heat shield or drip pan between the meat and the lit coals.

How it looks on the outside...

I find it cooks wonderfully and holds temperature longer than I'd expect it to. In the above picture, you can see my brother's offset smoker. His turns out an excellent product as well but takes a lot more work keeping the temperature steady. He also burns through much more charcoal/wood than I do. It really comes down to how well you can control the airflow.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #57
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have this one. Pricey, but does an outstanding job. Best part, you don't have to be there to constantly check on the temp. Load it up, turn it on, run errands.

https://id34137.securedata.net/smoki...roducts_id=163
SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #58
black05tj

Quote:

I've had a brinkman, and something similar to this one (although the brand was different). In my opinion, skip these if you can. I found the metal to be thin, and too many air leaks to easily maintain consistent temps. I went from those to a Weber Smokey Mountain (also referred to as WSM if you get into looking at smoking/bbq forums), and am sold on them. They run $300 for the 18.5" diameter model, and $400 I think for the 22.5" model. If you want a vertical smoker, the Weber is the way to go IMO for easy/good out of the box performance.

If you're looking for cheap, are resourceful, and don't need a ton of cook area, there are write ups for taking a $30 Weber Smokey Joe grill and converting it into a mini WSM. You can google for it. I haven't tried it, but those who have seem to really like this set up.

Basically, you want it to be sealed from air leaks so you can better control the temps inside the smoker with your air inlet controls. Air leaks will result in a hotter fire, more fuel use, and make it more difficult to maintain the lower temps needed for smoking. If you get a cheaper smoker, look into (google) steps to seal it up better. There are gaskets and high temp sealants out there that can be used to improve the performance of a cheap smoker - and a lot of write ups are out there on what others have done.

Oh, and I would suggest getting a dual probe digital thermometer (like the Maverick ET-732, but there are others out there). One probe for the pit, one for the meat. The temp gauges on most smoker lids (even the Weber) are notorious for being inaccurate.

Last edited by black05tj; 11-08-2013 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Wrong model number for digital thermometer
black05tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #59
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by black05tj View Post
Oh, and I would suggest getting a dual probe digital thermometer (like the Maverick ET-72, but there are others out there). One probe for the pit, one for the meat. The temp gauges on most smoker lids (even the Weber) are notorious for being inaccurate.

I think I have the ET-732. I love it and don't know if I could go without it now.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #60
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have that exact model Brinkman you posted. It's OK as a starter for you to test the waters. However, as said before, the metal is too thin and the unit is not anything near air tight. On top of that the charcoal bowl and water bowl are too small requiring constant attention. I actually spent a few hours welding a catch pan for the bottom and drilling several 7/16" holes in the charcoal bowl. Without that the charcoal bowl would get filled with ash and snuff out the coals. My wife bought me that unit a few years ago and I will admit I had a lot of fun successfully smoking ribs. However, when trying a longer smoke (Boston butt) it required constant attention and I would have a hard time keeping the temps up because of the small bowl over a long period of time. I just bought a Weber Smokey Mountain and love the fact that I can set the vents and having enough charcoal and water for a good 12 hours or more without touching it and it stays at a constant temp.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.