How to cook better brisket? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > How to cook better brisket?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips. Do you have smoke pouring out the stack the entire time?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Thanks for the tips. Do you have smoke pouring out the stack the entire time?

Not all the time. When I first put a stick of wood into my offset smoker it smokes for 30 minutes or so then it's just a light plume of smoke afterwards (for the next 45 min to hour) and then I'll put another stick on after an hour.

I get my fire going and let it cool back down to optimum temp before I put the brisket on, then I add one @ 3-5" thick/wide stick of wood at a time (minus the bark on the wood of course). Always clean the bark off the wood b/c it adds smoke, but it's a bitter smoke compared to the smoke the wood adds. Then I go out and check the firebox every hour and add wood as needed, but never more than 1 stick at a time. That will provide the perfect amount of heat and smoke but not get TOO hot which is your greatest enemy for a slow and low cook.

I wish I had some pics to show but I don't.....All my brisket cooking pics were destroyed in the wildfires we had a couple of years ago and I haven't made new ones because I'm embarrassed about the condition of my BBQ pit....It no longer has wheels and I had to put a piece of metal in the bottom of it b/c the bottom rusted out due to I guess the heat from the wildfire.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The big thing with a brisket is to be patient. When the internal temp reaches 170*, that's when it starts to break down inside. The temp usually hangs there for awhile. I've had some hang at 170 for hours, and others glide right through.
Just be patient and keep your fire at 225-250 tops, drink some beer, and wait it out.Don't raise the fire temperature to compensate.
Once the temp starts to climb from 170* it can shoot up pretty quickly, so keep a close eye from there on out.
When the internal temp hits 185-190* (if slicing), or 200- 205* (if chopping) I pull it off, foil it up tightly, wrap it in a heavy towel or drop it in a small insulated cooler, and let it rest for an hour or so.

I've had similar sized briskets on the smoker at the same time, and have had them finish up hours apart. A clock is useless when it comes to BBQ.

A remote temp probe so you can keep an eye on it from the outside is nice. A wireless one so you can take a nap on the couch is even nicer.

Learn how to make burnt ends also..they make great sammiches.
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #34
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

12 hours in 225/250 the whole time and I can't seem to get the internal temp over 150. Just stoked the fire again and moved them a little closer to the fire box.

Unread 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #35
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Figured out my problem, temps slowly rising. Had an ash build up under the fire, cleared it out.

image-3306584610.jpg

Unread 10-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #36
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nailed it, excellent flavor and it pulls apart real easy, very tender. We let it rest for about 45 minutes before slicing it up. Started smoking at 5:30 am and pulled it out of the smoker at 7:00 pm.

image-1387020086.jpg

image-3904906748.jpg

Unread 10-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #37
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Awesome!
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Had a couple of moments where the smoker temp climbed up to 300/310 degrees but I quickly lifted the lid and let some heat out. It's critical to keep a close eye on temps. I noticed when we sliced one brisket it was moist but after it sat on the platter some of the slices dried out within 15 minutes. I think next time I smoke Brisket I'll go 8 hours and then bring it in and use the turkey roaster to finish it at 200 degrees?

One mistake we made was the water pan was to far away from the fire box, I don't think that did us any good? The brisket was awesome though.
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #39
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Oh yeah absolutely, if you slice it up it'll dry out after only a few minutes.

Also, judging by the pics it looks like you pretty much nailed in the tenderness.....Looks like it'll pull apart easily. Looks similar to what mine looks like except that when I slice mine the juices are literally running out of the unsliced piece of meat (between the flat and the point where the fat ribbon is) and my slices fresh off the big hunk 'o meat are a little wetter looking. Don't let that get you down, yours look great and I'd eat it and trust me when I say I am a brisket snob.

Lastly, somebody posted about making burnt ends.....YES YES YES YES. Burnt ends. If I could do an entire brisket that was nothing but burnt ends I would. So much smokey goodness.......*drooooooollllllllll*

Brisket looks good bud, keep it up and remember perfection comes with practice so keep making 'em. It's a hard slab of meat to cook well, but so worth the trouble.
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #40
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

Personal experience with the turkey roasting oven; 8-10 hours on the pit (not foiled), then put a rack in the turkey roasting oven and about an inch and a half or so of water (or maybe beef broth....Hmm, I just thought of that, might be good) but yeah, put it in the turkey roasting oven at 200-225 for another 5-6 hours depending on the size of the brisket and it'll be as tender and flavorful as anything you've ever had.

The only down side from the turkey roasting oven is that the bark on the outside of the brisket gets soft and squishy but still retains the same taste.
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #41
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNowski View Post
The only down side from the turkey roasting oven is that the bark on the outside of the brisket gets soft and squishy but still retains the same taste.
That's also the reason I don't use a water pan. I like a nice crispy bark.

While doing a pork butt for a cookout one time, I had somebody that apparently never had real BBQ before ask me "What do you do with all of the burnt stuff on the outside?".

"We fight over it" was my answer.
I have to keep the family away while I am pulling my meat , or there won't be any bark left by the time I'm finished.
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #42
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that bark is like gold. Haha. The first cut was sealed it up and frozen for later. I'll mix some of that into my next batch of chili.

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #43
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Leftovers from yesterday's brisket. Just heated the meat in a pan. Good stuff.

image-3822316992.jpg

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #44
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

dang that plate looks killer Hotshot .

What is the red looking stuff in your smashed taters ?

Did you use red russets and that's skin or is it bacon or something ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #45
Hotshot
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
dang that plate looks killer Hotshot . What is the red looking stuff in your smashed taters ? Did you use red russets and that's skin or is it bacon or something ?
Yeah they're just red russets mashed with the skin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.