Home built smoker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Home built smoker

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Home built smoker

I am making a smoker. Rectangle box made out of 12 ga. steel.
Hopefully it will done this weekend sometime.
The thing I am wondering about is what to do on the inside of the smoker.
I was thinking maybe, getting it hot, let it cool then rub the inside with veggy oil, then get it hot again.
Pretty much like a cast iron skilet.
What do you think?
The fire box I am not worried about, but it would be nice to do something to the cooking side of it to keep it from rusting.

Unread 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Humm wow I thought I already posted this.
Hope I did not screw someone elses thread up!
I am done with the smoker.
I ended up firing it up and brought the temp up to 350 degrees. Mostly to burn off any residue that was left over from the metal and welding.
I let the fire burn off and opened everything up.
I then sprayed the inside down with Pam and fired it up again.
Seemed to work pretty good.
Picture of the smoker.
Yea there is not a square peice or good weld on the whole thing!

Really the cooking chamber is level it just does not look like it because the door is cockeyed.
The inside after the Pam.

I was pretty impressed with it. I got around 3 hours burn with all the vents open. 350 degrees, too hot for smoking but I should get more time out of it at a lower temp.
I am off Tuesday and Wednesday but I think I will wait untill the weekend to cook on it.
More pictures will follow!
Unread 08-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

TSEjeepers, see how the heat/smoke comes out your firebox and goes straight up in your third picture .

Here is a pretty good link that shows how to make it work a little better.

Read about the "Add a deflector or a convection plate or a duct. "

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...t_smokers.html

Very nice looking rig you got there and a good job on the building of it.

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Phitmein.
Originally I was going to make this a reverse flow smoker.
It took so long to make this darn thing that I just wanted to get it done.
I did notice with the original burn and the seasoning that the side with the fire was hotter than the other side.
I am off the next two days and was not planning on using the smoker untill the weekend anyway.
I am going to go back and change it.
Do you think I need to move the smoke stack to the other side after the plate is put in?
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

" Do you think I need to move the smoke stack to the other side after the plate is put in? "

I am still learning too and spent at least a hundred hour just researching before I built mine and I am going to be adding a deflector and relocating my smoke stack because when I built mine there was nothing about reverse flow on the net .

On yours I would be tempted to mount the smoke stack on the left side just below the top rack then make it go 90 degrees upward .

I am no BBQ pro and still trying to improve mine and the reverse flow stuff just makes good sense to me.

If you read the first few posts on the below thread it will give you an idea of how mine is built .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f365/pig-cooker-1331853/

Phit
Unread 08-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Tom, I should have added that for the moment leave the orig. stack.
If you add another one and just wrap some alum. foil over it till you figure out what works best for you.

Did you add a baffle as a smoke regulator to your smoke stack ?

Alum. foil can be used as one in if you are in a pinch.

Phit
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

No I did not add a baffle to the smoke stack.
That is something else I am going to do on my days off.
In one of the links you have posted, on the other thread, shows using bread to find out where your hot zones are in the smoker.
I really like that idea and will be doing it before I start cooking.
Thanks for the ideas!
Unread 08-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I could show you some pictures from the first smoke but I did not take any.
The menu was baby back ribs,(3 racks) Atomic bufflo Turds, Sweet potatoes, and Bourbon Barbecue Baked Beans.http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beans/bourbon_barbecue_baked_beans.html
I did the beans a head of time and finished them up in the smoker. Sorry no pictures but everything turned out great!
Second smoke was Catfish.
My son turned up this morning with some Catfish that he had caught.
We cleaned them and they were soaking in Salt water.
Come dinner time we decided heck why not smoke them.
Smoked the two using Hickory and Pekan. Right around 185 to 200 for two hours.
They came out pretty good.
I am not a fish eater but they were not bad.
Nothing but Salt and Pepper for the seasoning.

Unread 08-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Tom, I like the way your racks slide out.

When you get a chance take a pic. of the deflector plate for me and I would like to see how you built the firebox door and it's intake vents.
It looks good the way it has blackened up inside, and if it is like mine, if you walk anywhere near it you can smell that wood smoke smell and it make you eager to cook again soon.

Now that you have it working right can't you weld some 1/4 inch on top of what you got to make it hold heat better ?

I have also wondered if a person could add some of that insulation like you can use on a rides/Jeeps firewall to the outside of a smoker to help it hold heat better.

How hot were you able to get it on the 2nd test after adding the deflector plate?

Chicken quarters cooked with Pecan or Hickory is one of my favorites too.

Damn, now I am hungry.
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Tom, I like the way your racks slide out.

When you get a chance take a pic. of the deflector plate for me and I would like to see how you built the firebox door and it's intake vents.
It looks good the way it has blakened up inside and if it is like mine if you walk anywhere near it you can smell that wood smoke smell and pork smell and it make you eager to cook again soon.

Now that you have it working right can't you weld some 1/4 inch on top of what you got to make it hold heat better ?

I have also wondered if a person could add some of that insulation like you can use on a rides/Jeeps firewall to the outside of a smoker to help it hold heat better.

How hot were you able to get it on the 2nd test after adding the deflector plate?

Chicken quarters cooked with Pecan or Hickory is on of my favorites too.

Damn, now I am hungry.
Will do.
Chicken or Turkey will be next.
Rather than adding plate on top of what I already have I am thinking about cutting the top plate, and triangle the top. Like a roof top.
It should help circulate the heat and smoke.
For now I am going to leave it as it is.
Maybe a winter project.
Oh and with the new modified plate it ran right around 250 degrees pretty much perfect!
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

" Oh and with the new modified plate it ran right around 250 degrees pretty much perfect! "

Yep, I agree and 225 or a very little less is ideal (IMHO) and you now have some wiggler room with the temps. now too.

Because if you open the door, to baste/sauce it or something, when you close it again you can open your intake up some for a few minutes to get the temp back up to 220 or 225 quickly .

Nice work and try the chicken quarters soon.
If you do, then the first time, just smoke them and try them and if you think they need sauce then just do it at the table.
They are killer all by themselves and see what you got first before you start doctoring on it.
Unread 08-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

When I built mine I made the stack higher than my head just so I didn't have to worry about a lot of smoke blowing back in my face if the wind was coming from the wrong dirrection.

But your is mobile like mine and if that is a problem you just turn it 180 or whatever.
Unread 08-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I was reading up on your baked beans recipe and saw this from the author ?

"If you are from Texas or South Carolina or New Orleans, you might not like these beans because they are sweet"

All my people that I descend from have been in Carolina since before there was not a North and a South and it extended from Virginia to down to to the Spainish held Florida to all points westward to the Pacific Ocean and damn the Frenchies .

Which meant from the East coast to the West coast in a very wide,wide way.

Mom's family came in the 1620's and Pop's in 1749 and we like useing a lot of Blackstrap Molasses in our beans as well as the rest of what he uses .

Maybe they just learned that recipe from us as well as cooking really good Que ?

Just say'n.
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
garand555

I built my smoker too. I used brick instead of metal. But the racks are made out of expanded metal and angle iron. I have a baffle that is made out of 14 or 16 gauge steel. I run it off of straight wood fire normally , but it will work with charcoal or if I wanted to shove a propane burner in there it would work with that too. The thermometer is a maverick et-732. I would recommend one of those as I am happy with mine.

It is satisfying to build your own stuff. You build looks like a nice one. I hope you enjoy it and smoke many racks and butts. One thing you will find is that when you can't 'que for a while, you go through smoking withdrawal.
garand555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Garand, I would love to see some pics. of your smoker.

And Tom, have you done anymore cooks?
Got pics.?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.