Grilled Asparagus... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Grilled Asparagus...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Grilled Asparagus...

OK, I have always been a fan of asparagus and grew up eating them from a can. It was a rare treat because mom said they were expensive. And to be honest, I don't EVER remember seeing fresh asparagus in the grocery store while I was growing up.

My sis told me to try grilling fresh asparagus, so I did. All I can say is OMG! They are awesome. I was eating them as fast as I could pull them off the grill.

Pick fresh asparagus that still have green tips (not brown, purple, etc). Trim the last 2" or so off the bottom of the stalk. Put them on a piece of heavy aluminum foil, spray them with some olive oil, season them per your taste (salt and pepper work just fine), and grill them for about 5-8 minutes. Leave the foil open. If you close them up you will just steam them.

After a few minutes, they will start to get darker and have some grill marks on them. Take a couple off the grill and sample them. Make sure you put plenty of them on the grill, because you will probably sample them into oblivion!

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skfullen
OK, I have always been a fan of asparagus and grew up eating them from a can. It was a rare treat because mom said they were expensive. And to be honest, I don't EVER remember seeing fresh asparagus in the grocery store while I was growing up.

My sis told me to try grilling fresh asparagus, so I did. All I can say is OMG! They are awesome. I was eating them as fast as I could pull them off the grill.

Pick fresh asparagus that still have green tips (not brown, purple, etc). Trim the last 2" or so off the bottom of the stalk. Put them on a piece of heavy aluminum foil, spray them with some olive oil, season them per your taste (salt and pepper work just fine), and grill them for about 5-8 minutes. Leave the foil open. If you close them up you will just steam them.

After a few minutes, they will start to get darker and have some grill marks on them. Take a couple off the grill and sample them. Make sure you put plenty of them on the grill, because you will probably sample them into oblivion!
I totally agree with u on the "put plenty of them on the grill". I usually eat most of them myself if no one is watching me
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
viimag
1979 CJ5 

Take a couple of stalks and wrap the bottom half in prosciutto (Italian bacon ham). Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh grated parmesan cheese. Grill till tender and feast. Cook 2x the amount you plan to serve, so you can sample every other one... To check to make sure they are good... Right?
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
skfullen
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The parmesan cheese idea sounds great. I can't wait to give that a try!
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
CRider74
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I soak em in raspberry vinaigrette dressing when I grill em. Real tasty!
Unread 09-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Last year I lost 10 lbs during summer cause I was full before time to eat. Sampling the asparagus as I cooked. Really no bad way to cook the the green sticks. Great with some steak!
Unread 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

When I was growing up, my mom would make asparagus from a can, and I thought it was probably the worst vegetable in the world (next to spinach from a can).

Which is sad, because I grew up one town over from "the asparagus capital of the world", Hadley MA..

As an adult, I discovered what asparagus REALLY tastes like.

Nothing like fresh local Asparagus when it is in season (early spring) ... toss the stalks with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and then on the charcoal grill .. mmmmm

make a batch on the weekend, have leftovers all week to toss with pasta or in an omelet..
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
fundabug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog02 View Post
Last year I lost 10 lbs during summer cause I was full before time to eat. Sampling the asparagus as I cooked. Really no bad way to cook the the green sticks. Great with some steak!
Grilled or sauteed asparagus with a medium rare ribeye and maybe a few fried banana peppers or fried okra. Oooooh yeah. I tell people they can keep their loaded baked potato, I'll take asparagus any day. I also like sauteed whole green beans if no asparagus. Seems like a good hunk of dead cow goes better with something green. I also grew up on canned asparagus. It was a real treat until I grew up and had real asparagus. I don't even know why people would buy it from a can.....If they only knew.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

About 3 weeks ago, I took some fresh asparagus, cut the ends off, put them in a ziploc bag with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil, a bit of salt & pepper and let them marinate for about 2 hrs. Put them on the grill for the last 8-10 minutes of cooking some bacon wrapped filet mignon. Wonderful, awesome stuff. The ONLY way to fly!
MORE TO COME!
E1wood5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
StewF
1998 ZJ 

That sounds good..
StewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Great wrapped in bacon. Try some tomatoes cut in half and salt/pepper and a spritz of olive oil and grill. Makes a tasty colorful addition to the grilled asparagus.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I really prefer raw asparagus, served point down in water glass filled with balsamic vinaigrette, but, when forced to grill it, I heap it directly on the grill drizzled with melted butter and toss it around so it is well marked but not much cooked. It must not sag when you are done.
Unread 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It makes your pee smell funny
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla View Post
It makes your pee smell funny
There is some kind of harmless dye that makes your urine bright orange. So, I went to this Greek Week grill out in college and the frat that was grilling put the dye and a bunch of ground up asparagus in the burgers. No one noticed a thing until you went to take a leak and it was bright orange and smelled funny. And, since everyone was drunk it was pretty hilarious.
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hahahaha!!! Priceless! In college, you don't want to see or feel anything strange when you're peeing!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.