Grill always dies, HELP. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Grill always dies, HELP.

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 07-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

I started grilling about every other weekend a few months ago in my apartment complex on a cheap charcoal grille the community uses and it worked like a champ. For hours smoke pours out the top and the coals glow.

I wanted my own grille So I invested in a small 18in grille. after about 10-15 minutes it just stopped smoking, the orange in the charcoals were gone, and it didn't seem thAt hot.
I assumed it was the grille, so I bought a larger one like the one owned by the apt complex.

It's a 22in backyard from Walmart in the picture above. It falls on its face after about 15 mins!!! I use the kingsman coals that don't require lighter fluid, after flames go down, load the food, open all the vents, and close the top. 15 mins later it stops smoking, coals die, and not much heat. Any advise? this sucks.

Unread 07-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I assume you have all the vents open right ?

If so then it is not getting enough air in or maybe out .

You could take a drill and drill some ventalation hole in the top and bottom to make it breathe better .

I would start by drilling holes in the bottom and see what happens .

You can try it first on the smaller grill and see what happens .

A grill is a lot like a carburetor and it needs enough air in and out of it to work right .

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You could also just prop the lid open a little.
I had the same problem on a Weber Smokey Joe.
With as much food as you have on that grill it will not let the air circulate.
You may want to invest in a chimney to light your charcole.
I like the Weber ones they hold more charcole.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rap.../dp/B000WEOQV8
They work great, use a little Veggy oil on the paper and it will have the coals burning in less than a 1/2 hour.
No lighter fluid taste!
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

"it will have the coals burning in less than a 1/2 hour.
No lighter fluid taste!"

I use 4 double pieces of newspaper in my Weber chimney and it takes 15 minutes tops.
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

SC, I remembered that on one grill I have I was having a similar problem .

I didn't think it was getting enough good air flow under the bottom grate .

The grate that the coals sit on .

I put some things under it to elevate it some and it seemed to help alot .

Phit
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
G-Wag
1986 FSJ Wagoneer 

It might be a combination of problems, too much charcoal could block your vents. Use enough charcoal in a pile (probably half of bottom of the grill towards the front since you have a shelf towards the back. This shelf is to keep food warm till other meats are cooked.
Looks like you put everything on at once. Try cooking veggies first then keep them on shelf. Before you put meat on, check to see if you need more charcoal. If so put some briquettes on without any fluid. Remember you'll have veggies on warming shelf.
Putting everything on at once will suck the heat out of the charcoal, just like pan frying.
Put the lid down when grill gets too hot. Try wood charcoal with starter chimney for hotter grilling. Happy grillin'!
G-Wag is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.