Good quality thermometers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Good quality thermometers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good quality thermometers

I do my share of smoking but I know the results suffer a little from not having a good read on the temperture. Any one have experience with any of these?

I always trust Alton Brown but of course his favorite is the most expensive since it does not come with the probes.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...ld/TW8060.html

I don't mind spending the money for something that's important but I would like at least one first hand report on this, or similar ones.

One good review on Amazon and it's a lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Supco-EM60-Dif...eywords=TW8060

Two good reviews

http://www.amazon.com/Thermocouple-T...eywords=TW8060

This guy makes it his lifes work.

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyer...ing_guide.html

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Thanks Bolt, for bringing this up here.

I want to know this too.

I have to/do use 4 themos. on and in the chamber area and in the meat .

That sucks and I want some new tech. please .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a thermapen by thermoworks about 4 months ago. It is very accurate within three second of probing the meet. I highly recommend it. I know you didn't ask about the thermapen specifically. But it is a great quick read.
MIjeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIjeep86 View Post
I bought a thermapen by thermoworks about 4 months ago. It is very accurate within three second of probing the meet. I highly recommend it. I know you didn't ask about the thermapen specifically. But it is a great quick read.
Thanks. Did not think to mention it but I had decided to get the thermapen already. I have a few so called "instant" read that take a good long time to register. I have a pretty decent quality infrared as well.

cheers
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have a small Polder instant read digital thermometer that has been a real workhorse. It's outlived 3 other digitals that were bought from Wally-world or Target. I've never even replaced the battery, I've dropped it in a bucket of water, it even found its way into the dishasher once. Still works, and is still pretty accurate. I preach about temperature control when cooking meats, and this little thing has made me a better cook.
MORE TO COME!
E1wood5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

I have seen digital thermometers that have a single probe that reads both 'oven' and 'meat' temperature, but I have never used one myself. I have a Williams-Sonoma remote 'meat' thermometer that has served me well over the years for Weber roasting, but for smoking I'd think the 'oven' temp is probably more important than the 'meat' temp ..
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.