Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gimme some chicken

944 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  XJ99 
#1 ·
Big family vacation for a week. Fun, sun, beer, pool, grillin, you know how it goes. Its my turn to cook tonight and I wanna do some chicken. Can't go wrong with lemon and rosemary roasted on the grill, but the carcasses might be too much of a hassle to bother with (cooking for 16, so 4+ chickens), and I'm looking for new ideas. Criteria are:

-Fairly simple recipe. Marinades would be good, but they'll only be able to sit for 1 or 2 hours in the fridge
-Able to cook on a gas/charcoal grill
-No barbecue flavor. Already did BBQ smothered ribs and I feel like its a too-easy cop out. Though I may consider whipping up my own BBQ sauce if you've got a good recipe.
-Able to feed 16. Of course I can multiply the recipe by 4 or 5 to fit my family, but keep in mind.

Beer can chicken was suggested. Its something I wanted to try, but I really don't want to do whole chickens, just breasts/thighs. Maybe a beer flavored marinade or sauce?

What veggies pair good with chicken on a kabob?

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
kabobs are a good choice but I generally cook the veg and meat on seperate sticks except for maybe a little onion between the chicken pieces.

Or, you could pre cook thighs or legs in the oven then finish on the grill with a variety of sauces.

Or, whole chickens, brined then spatchcock. Not too much work and they cook great.

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4162/How_to_spatchcock_a_chicken

#3 ·
Hmm didn't think of spatchcock. Still a lot of work for 4-5 chickens but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the reply!

#4 ·
With 16 servings, you are going to have a crowded grill. I eat a 1/2 chicken and I'm not a big eater. Of course you could get some mongo fryers but they will be chewy and taste like crap unless you baby them all afternoon on the grill.

I'd get six pounds of boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks three times bite size, marinate them and kabob with appropriate vegetables. I say appropriate because you want them to cook about the same time. Small yellow onions, red and green bell peppers. Maybe a couple of jalapenos for the adventurous among them If you want tomatoes and squash, kabob them on their own skewers and cook then for less time. Baste with the marinate regularly and cook the whole thing covered over charcoal. Baste with butter and a few tablespoons of lemon juice at the end. Don't skimp on the butter. It is cheating, but everyone will think you are a great chef. Just don't let the ladies see that you have two sticks of butter in a saucepan next to the grill.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input Wilson. I think I've decided to pass on kebabs and just do a bunch of thighs/breasts split between two or three marinade flavors. The butter/lemon basting is a great idea though, I'll try it out.

#6 ·
I did a teriyaki marinade, but I let it sit for 24 hours
to really get the flavor in to the breast.

Equal parts:

Mirin
Light brown sugar (dark if you like it really sweet)
Sake
Soy sauce

Great homemade sauce with out all the sodium...
You can pan fry some chicken breast cubed,
and use the sauce. Bring to a simmer and let
the sauce reduce. Serve over white rice.

#7 ·
Aight fellas here's what I ended up doing. 16 'split breasts' (so breasts and tenderloins) marinated for 1 hour in equal parts honey and dijon (approx 11 oz each) with two fat tbspn mayo, and one fat tbspn whatsthisheresauce. Grilled on a good ol weber charcoal over inderect heat for a good 40-45 minutes. Last 15 minutes I basted it all in a mix of 3 sticks butter and juice of 2 lemons. I got compliments all around, and not just because they're my family :)

I'll let y'all in on my little secret. I grilled that **** with extra portions of love :D

#8 ·
Xj99, I'll have to write that one down and try it this summer. That sounds like my kind of flavor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.