Favorite ways to make a burger - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
THOR114
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,124
Favorite ways to make a burger

Quote:
Let's start a new thread with a title that makes more sense.



I moved the non-simple posts over here.

jbolty

Just reading this makes me drool... For the bread, have you tried naan bread? I make my own. I make all kinda sliders and burgers and found out its wonderful when you bake your own bread right aling w the burger...let me know ifbyou d like the bread recipy. Its simply and good. Puffs up so you have a top and a bottom you can cut and put your burger right in. I serve my turkey sliders w a mix of plum nectarine and apricot roast. They guys luv it

THOR114 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
THOR114
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
See, I think if a burger has a recipe, its a meatloaf. But, as long as you're hungry, how about 1/2 pound of ground chuck, salt and pepper and a dash or Worcestershire sauce cooked on the hottest fire you can muster, followed by a pat of butter melted on top.
If you add an egg or flour thats what is the difference between burger and meatloaf!
THOR114 is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM
timberwolf0122
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Elmore(dor)
Posts: 19,214
Heck I'll post my burger recipe, warning I cook and measure with the eye

1lb 80/20 ground beef
HP Sauce (http://www.heinz.co.uk/sauce-partners/hp-sauce)
Worcestershire sauce (Pronounced Wus-chester-sheer. I'm English, trust me on this)
seasoning (S&P)
Cabot Sharp Cheddar
Harris Teeter La Brea Bakery Three-Cheese Semolina Loaf (About 3-4 slices)
Olive or vegitable oil (brushing)

Very simple to make.
1) Blitz the 3-4 slices of bread into bread crumbs
2) put ground beef into a bowl, add bread crumbs, season and 4 dashes of Worcestershire
3) measure out about 2 table spoons of HP.. or squeeze about enough to fill an ping-pong balls worth in
4) combine thoughly by hand
5) cut 1/4" cheese strips off the cabbot block.
6) form patties round the cheese
7) brush with oil
8) Grill to your liking.


I make em big when I grill them, I also like to add grilled bacon

Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
Doctor Who has died 13 times, is on his 14th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
timberwolf0122 is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
catahoula
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: columbia
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
Heck I'll post my burger recipe, warning I cook and measure with the eye

1lb 80/20 ground beef
HP Sauce (http://www.heinz.co.uk/sauce-partners/hp-sauce)
Worcestershire sauce (Pronounced Wus-chester-sheer. I'm English, trust me on this)
seasoning (S&P)
Cabot Sharp Cheddar
Harris Teeter La Brea Bakery Three-Cheese Semolina Loaf (About 3-4 slices)
Olive or vegitable oil (brushing)

Very simple to make.
1) Blitz the 3-4 slices of bread into bread crumbs
2) put ground beef into a bowl, add bread crumbs, season and 4 dashes of Worcestershire
3) measure out about 2 table spoons of HP.. or squeeze about enough to fill an ping-pong balls worth in
4) combine thoughly by hand
5) cut 1/4" cheese strips off the cabbot block.
6) form patties round the cheese
7) brush with oil
8) Grill to your liking.

I make em big when I grill them, I also like to add grilled bacon
Dat looks tasty!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
catahoula is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 PM
catahoula
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: columbia
Posts: 19
I got one....
3 lbs 80/20 beef
1 jar of jalapenos ground up
I sprinkle on some ground cumin
Couple slices per Pattie of Jack cheese or cubes of cheese added to Pattie while grilling.
and gourmet buns
Also don't forget da beer...Modelo, Victoria or Dos Equis.

Another
3lbs 80/20
Healthy dose of Worcester sauce
Pepper
and....minced garlic I don't really measure by the spoon. For good luck a spoonful to eat for yourself.
Sharpe Cheddar
Gourmet buns
And......Newcastle Brown Ale.

A cheese topping to try you guys is Pimento Cheese! Yum!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
catahoula is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
THOR114
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,124
Ok here is what I made today:

Beef burger with scotch bonnet served with homemade Greek tzatsiki sauce and homemade Greek bread buns garnished with heirloom tomato and arugula with tangerine vinaigrette




Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket
THOR114 is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Prot
Web Wheeler
 
Prot's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 7,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114
Ok here is what I made today:

Beef burger with scotch bonnet served with homemade Greek tzatsiki sauce and homemade Greek bread buns garnished with heirloom tomato and arugula with tangerine vinaigrette

Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket
Hey. That doesn't look like juice.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Prot is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
THOR114
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,124
Right. That was not juice.
THOR114 is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 AM
5-90
Registered User
 
5-90's Avatar
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 5,344
One of my favourite mixes for burger meat is half lamb/half buffalo, and cook SLOW over a LOW heat. Ohhhh....

"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 06-30-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
THOR114
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
One of my favourite mixes for burger meat is half lamb/half buffalo, and cook SLOW over a LOW heat. Ohhhh....
I did that too with lamb/ buffalo and it was awesome... Only thing is that I usually sear of the sides and then slow cook the insides....but it was very nice...

Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket
THOR114 is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 06-30-2013, 02:09 AM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,304
Ground Buffalo is a choice if: (a) you are on a very low fat diet, and (b) you must eat something from the red meat case. Which means of course, that there is no place for buffalo on the grille unless you happen to be a Buffalo rancher.

Lamb on the other hand is also dry as the desert but has a great flavor. So if its a lamb burger, make the patty with a pat of butter inside. Cook over medium heat and the grill will flare up when the butter starts to melt. Remove immediately and serve.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
THOR114
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Ground Buffalo is a choice if: (a) you are on a very low fat diet, and (b) you must eat something from the red meat case. Which means of course, that there is no place for buffalo on the grille unless you happen to be a Buffalo rancher.

Lamb on the other hand is also dry as the desert but has a great flavor. So if its a lamb burger, make the patty with a pat of butter inside. Cook over medium heat and the grill will flare up when the butter starts to melt. Remove immediately and serve.
I never had my lamb dry, I love lamb and cook it often, more than any other red meat. In order to get it medium rare, what I like to,do, heat the grill blazing hot, slap a nice sear on both side to lock in the juices and then just ready book to perfection. Medium rare with nice pink is my preference.




This is a leg of lamb, cut in portions





lamb Chop

Sent from my Jeep - Just Emptying Every Pocket
THOR114 is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 AM
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 17,882
Garage
That's not a burger. My experience with lamb burgers is they are nearly always dry and overcooked.

Extra lean meat has no place in a burger, just make something else.

.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114 View Post
I never had my lamb dry, I love lamb and cook it often, more than any other red meat. In order to get it medium rare, what I like to,do, heat the grill blazing hot, slap a nice sear on both side to lock in the juices and then just ready book to perfection. Medium rare with nice pink is my preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
That's not a burger. My experience with lamb burgers is they are nearly always dry and overcooked.

Extra lean meat has no place in a burger, just make something else.
I am certainly up for some pink centered lamb loin chops with a crispy outside , but like Bolty says, lamb is too dry for a burger. If you must, since it is all about the lamb taste as the only reason to grind it and grille it as a burger, only the neutral choice of butter (see above) works. If you put enough bacon in it to fix it it no longer tastes like lamb.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
wilson1010 is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
THOR114
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,124
You could enhance the lamb flavor with garam masala
THOR114 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome