Dry Rubs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-22-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dry Rubs

I need a dry rub for ribs and chicken. I am a diabetic. I do not want to use any artificial sweeteners or any thing that is artificial. Low sodium or no salt preferred. I've been searching the internet and diabetic forums but found nothing. Would appreciate any help from you guys.

Sky comes standard on all Wranglers
"It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
Pavement ends and I begin/ Jeep gives new meaning to Rock'n'Roll!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-22-2016, 11:38 AM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

While I would if I could, I can't help you on that Rich .

Mr. Wilson may be your best bet here as/in IIRC he eats rather wisely .

I eat well however ?

Big diff.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-22-2016, 02:59 PM
14Sport
Proud Deplorable

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe some of these will work for you. Maybe the Rendezvous-style Memphis Dry Rub or the Poultry Seasoning?

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...nes/index.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-23-2016, 01:52 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
While I would if I could, I can't help you on that Rich .

Mr. Wilson may be your best bet here as/in IIRC he eats rather wisely .

I eat well however ?

Big diff.
I wish I could be of help here. Not diabetic. No one in family to give me any experience.

I will say that low sodium is now probably a taste preference rather than a medical issue, given the recent literature, but it may not matter that much with dry rubs. Still it is hard to imagine a decent chicken product without salt.

To me, the main ingredients in dry rubs are powdered dry chili, mustard, garlic and onion, none of which should be a problem. Sugar has always been secondary to my thinking. And, pork fat is likely to send the dietitian into orbit as fast as a little ground coconut or whatever one might substitute for sugar.

But, when the OP rules out typical sugar substitutes, one has to ask how much is medicine and how much is self imposed limitations.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #5 of 9 Old 05-23-2016, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all your replies and await more! Than you Wilson for your words. Regarding sugar substitutes that are artificial, I do not put them into my body. I was lucky to have eaten organic foods as a kid and my father and grand father were both in the culinary world. It is now surfacing that these chemical and artificial sugar substitutes are bad for your health. Dropped salt from my diet over 20 years ago. I became more aware of sugar a few years ago when I was taken to a hospital for a very high sugar level that was bring me in proximity to a diabetic coma. Self imposed limitations were always a part of my life. I do value what you say and appreciate your input.

Sky comes standard on all Wranglers
"It's better to have loved and lost, than to live with a psycho the rest of your life"
Pavement ends and I begin/ Jeep gives new meaning to Rock'n'Roll!!!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-24-2016, 10:52 AM
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just make your own, super easy. These are what I use + or -.
Chili powder (sometimes use ancho chili powder)
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Ground black pepper (fine)
Mustard powder
Paprika
post #7 of 9 Old 05-25-2016, 01:15 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

well, maybe try some stevia or coconut powder. That should do it if you must have sweetener. For my part I don't use sugar only because I don't like a sweet barbecue. (Southerners please forgive me).

As for chili powder, I am not a big fan of paprika. Hatch or Anaheim powder and cayenne are good choices. I buy a 5 pound bottle of Anaheim and use it all sorts of stuff. You can get it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Appeal-M...rch_detailpage

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #8 of 9 Old 05-28-2016, 01:04 AM
kachink
1998 ZJ 

Here's a book of rubs from http://www.deejayssmokepit.net
Link to PDF: http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...BookofRubs.pdf

There are about 20 pages of rubs. Most have sugar & salt, but there is at least one without either and a couple that the volume of those ingredients isn't so large that they couldn't be eliminated.

Hope you find something that works for you.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-22-2016, 04:09 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Normally I would suggest to start with just salt and garlic powder, however if you use no salt then you're not boosting the natural flavor of the chicken. Therefore it might be necessary to use a more complex blend of spices to get more flavor. I see no need to add sugar or any sugar substitute in either case.

Do you like Indian food? Some of my favorite spice combinations are rooted in Indian recipes that use things like cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and cumin. In western culture, we typically only use cinnamon and cloves in sweet foods, but they add a fantastic dimension to savory foods. And just because you're using Indian-style spices doesn't necessarily mean the dish has to be spicy hot, if you don't like that kind of heat. Lamb vindaloo is a great (traditionally spicy hot) Indian dish, but I make it without any spicy heat so my kids will eat it. You could easily adapt this to use chicken and omit the salt and hot spices.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.