Competition BBQ Pit Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Competition BBQ Pit Build

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #31
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Any new updates on this build?

dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #32
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes actualy haha!

Sorry for not updating, thinga have been crazy lately. We actualy got everything finished on the bottom, the support pieces of C-Channel welded up, and we ended up using square tubing for to run the wires later. We decided on this because for show purposes its best to stick with the same metals.

Anywas, we got it flipped over today, so tomorrow will be a full on welding day!

Photos will be up tomorrow, and we're going to start searching for propane tanks for use as pits pretty soon. Gonna be interesting to try and find, because we need 30" pits.

Ill post photos up tomorrow! Yall have a good day!
08Helotes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #33
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Why not just use big, thick steel pipe instead of old tanks ?

My home brew rig has 16" X 3' pipe for the smoking area .

With old tanks you will be dealing with curved ends and flat ends are easier to work with and take up less room IMO .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #34
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well the problem is finding the pipe around here. With new drilling techniques in south texas, finding any pipe of that size is damn near impossible, unfortunately. However old tanks are in high abundance, and theyre cheap. (We can get an 8' long x 30" diameter tank for under $200)

We're basically going to cut the ends off at the seam, and then seal the ends with sheet metal, connecting the pieces of the pit together. That way we dont have to worry about working with rounded ends.

If i get a chance next hour ill post a pic of the trailer, as well as another we just finished that we used tanks on.

Thanks for reading!
-Connor
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #35
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, not much to update today! Got the mounting plate for the break controller box set into place, tested, and welded up. Also got the trailer moved into the next bay over, because our ag teacher needed the one we were in for a 20' trailer. But, it doesnt matter because we can't do anything right now anyways! Axles are on backorder till mid/late next week, so until then im gonna work on my side project of repairing another flatbed.. So, ill update y'all as soon as I can
Until then, Thanks for reading!
-Connor
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #36
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures!!!
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #37
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

just a crazy thought here maybe .

could a person buy a 4'x8' piece of thick steel and have it bent in a circle that would be close to 30" around and 4' long ?

The steel mill in my town use to do stuff kind of like that for us if we bought steel from them .
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #38
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heres some pictures. Frame is finished, axles should be in mid/late next week! We're on the search for what will be our pits, so we'll see what we can find in the near future. Anyways, here's a pic of what we're also planning to use to help dostribute the heat evenly across the pits. It was used on one a fried of ours recently completed, so we know it works.
Other than that, updates may be scarce until parts start coming in.

Until then, thanks for reading!
-Connor
image-359097945.jpg   image-2683999794.jpg   image-1828712789.jpg   image-2578396622.jpg   image-598622764.jpg  

image-1640785078.jpg  
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #39
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Conner, am I correct in assuming that you will be checking with propane companies about used tanks ?

My buddy bought a used 200 gallon tank to use as an air holding tank for about 100 bucks delievered I think .
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #40
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
Conner, am I correct in assuming that you will be checking with propane companies about used tanks ?

My buddy bought a used 200 gallon tank to use as an air holding tank for about 100 bucks delievered I think .
Yes we will. Made some calls out yesterday, tanks the size we need will run us around $150 per tank if we pick them up. They can deliver, but since the company is on the other side of town, thats an $80 fee (per tank). Soo, im just gonna borrow my brothers truck and our flatbed trailer and go get them myself. Going to call today and see if anyone has 3 of them in stock, or probably more realistically just see how many they actually have! Hopefully I can get some soon, need stuff to do!
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #41
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Thanks for starting this thread/build Conner and I really enjoy thinking about building stuff and building things better .

That said, think about making a baffle or two on one of the tanks so you can do a 50% smaller cook so as not to have to try to heat the whole thing up and use more fuel for a smaller cook .

Does that make good sense ?
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #42
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
Thanks for starting this thread/build Conner and I really enjoy thinking about building stuff and building things better .

That said, think about making a baffle or two on one of the tanks so you can do a 50% smaller cook so as not to have to try to heat the whole thing up and use more fuel for a smaller cook .

Does that make good sense ?
Haha thanks! I figured id start this so as to get opinions along the way, I know that even with two people working on this that we're not going to think of everything.

And yes it does make sense, im working on designs for a baffle system right now, so ill post up designs as soon as i can!
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #43
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

To make a simple shutoff/baffle for one of the twin tanks a piece of steel hinged at the top inside the firebox might take care of of one end of the tank .

I am still thinking on it and have other baffle ideas but that is the simplest so far.

I am looking foward to see what you come up with .

If I build another grill I am going to use a woodstove for my firebox .

On the one I built the steel was very costly and took hours of welding and fab work and a
used woodstove would have saved me time and money and a new one probably would have too .

Edit: Are you going to make the deflectors fixed or so they can be moved or taken out ?

If it's not fixed/welded it would be easy to make a flap, inserts, or whatever on the inside and on both ends of one of the tanks.
Unread 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #44
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

How are you going to purge the remaining propane from the tanks before you start cutting on it .

My buddy filled his with water and emptied if first but that is a lot of water to deal with .
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #45
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
How are you going to purge the remaining propane from the tanks before you start cutting on it .

My buddy filled his with water and emptied if first but that is a lot of water to deal with .
Water. We're going to try and find tanks that are as empty as possible, and then we'll fill them full with water, allow them to sit for a week or so, and then cut into them. Don't wanna take ANY chances when it comes to flammable/explosive materials. It is alot of water, but we're not terribly worried about that. It's been done several times recently at our school, and the AG department doesnt care because it's the easiest way for us to make sure these tanks are completely safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.