Competition BBQ Pit Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Competition BBQ Pit Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Went and talked to our sponsor this afternoon! He's going to run to the local quality trailer tomorrow, heres the list of what ive got in the stockpile of parts tomorrow!
•Two 7k axles (at least one braking - depending on what he thinks when he goes)
•Axle hanger kits (going to do a spring under axle concept so that it sits at a relatively low height, dont want it to be to high to where its hard to open)
•Coupler, Jack and Chains
•Used tires and wheels (going to be used until right before show, dont want to break any of the good stuff)

Tomorrow we're going to cut the two pieces for the tongue, and once the coupler comes in, we'll go ahead and get all that on, as well as begin getting set for the axles.

Thats all for now folks!

08Helotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Chris, because of it's design I think it would need to be a double reverse flow design or a semi-long defletor plate just above where it comes out of the fire box .

A deflector plate would not need to go all the way against the sidewalls it would just need to help deflect the heat some to help on hot spots just above where it comes out the firebox .

I hope that makes some sense and that is best way that I can explain it at the moment .

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You're right - a reverse flow would funnel the smoke straight into the side box smoker and mostly bypass the barrel side. A deflector would probably work much better and be an easier setup as well!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry I havent posted in a few days.. Decided to go ahead and order EVERYTHING we need for the trailer at once (all the way down to the wiring) so that our sponsor doesnt have to make multiple trips to quaility trailer. Hopefully we'll get all the parts within the next week or so.. For now we're working on the tounge/coupler. Hope to have that all on and welded up within the next few days, but that will depend on when we can work! Leaving for my Ag Mechanics contest tomorrow, so ill be off for a few days! Ill update when I can!

Thanks for reading!
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, the pile of parts came in today! Pulled the axles off to test the width, and theyre too wide.. Sooo, there goes the pile of parts! Back to having nothing!

Finishing getting the tongue centered and tacked into place later today, so hoping to have that welded up, and the shackled tacked into place by friday! Should have it rolling by the end of the month if everything goes according to plan

Thanks for reading!
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got alot done today! Got the tounge assembled and welded together, got the breakaway mounts for the safety chains welded on, and got the jack bolted in and the bottom support for the jack welded on! All in all, very productive day! Planning to get the tongue centered next week, and then weld that up so we can start hanging axles mid/late next week! Now time for pics
image-2280032756.jpg   image-831478306.jpg   image-1024249446.jpg   image-912452856.jpg   image-413856585.jpg  

image-1137413658.jpg   image-1446896494.jpg   image-1586619863.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay, seeing as its monday I was able to get back into the shop! Didnt get to much done today, but started planning out the size of the pits (mostly for my sanity)

Decided that the pits will be made out of 30" pipe. This will give us a 6" air gap in between the two in order to reduce the amount of heat transfer between the pits, while still allowing plenty of meat (far more than it will probably ever see at any one point and time)

The plan is to have one pit with a removable water bucket/drip pan. That one will be a 30" door, and will be set closest to the fire box.

Then we will have a second area for just grilling/light smoking that is 4.5" long, bringin the doors to 2'-2" each, with a 2" gap in between the two. (Debating either that or just one 3.5' long door centered in the middle)

Then the smoker will be closest to the tounge (2'x2'x3')

The idea we came up with today is a false floor to help keep the amount of hot spots down. It will be probably 1/8" thick, with small holes cut into it closest to the firebox, and then gradually getting larger as we get closer to the smoker. This should help to reduce the amount of hot-spots that we will encounter.

Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome! I know i tend to make mistakes, over/under think things!
Thanks!
Unread 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Time for an update! Okay, so today we got the tounge completely centered thanks to the help of my Ag Mech teacher. Got it centered, tacked into place, and set to go! Also started cutting pieces so that the shackles will sit level. Our sponsor decided that he wanted heavy duty shackles, and since their too wide for one piece of C Channel, we're adding a piece on the inside of the frame so that it can sit level without hanging over. Ill get pics ofthat tomorrow when we get them all tacked into place! The guy in the green shirt is my friend Adan, and the partner in this project. And the man at the front ofthe trailer checking for the tounge centering is my Ag Mech teacher Mr. Tondre! He's gonna be a big help in this project, giving bits of advice along the way.
image-725172663.jpg   image-572042381.jpg   image-1345277188.jpg   image-1308955520.jpg  
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Okay, since I haven't updated in a few days here it goes..

It's been a busy last few days to say the least! Got the tongue tacked into place, cut the excess pieces off so thats all finished, began placing the excess pieces inside of the frame (using them as supports for the shackles because our sponsor wanted to use heavy duty shackles) and got the shackles placed, tacked in, and we began welding them up.
All in all, it doesn't seem like a whole ton, but as soon as we get these shackles welded up into place and get the tongue welded up to the frame, we can flip it over and hang axles! Gonna be rolling by the first week of May if all goes well, but unfortunately tomorrow is going to be our only day in the shop this week thanks to TAKS testing.
Sooo, hopefully I can have a few pics for y'all tomorrow! If not, I will for sure by the end of the week because I plan on working on designs when I finish testing each day, so that I can draw up a few designs for the pits with measurements factored in (Yes they will be scaled) so y'all can tell me what you think!!

Thanks for reading!
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #25
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Alright, I was finally able to get into the shop today.

We checked the last set of shackles today, and got them completely welded up. All done on that for now, now its time to get the tongue finished, welded up, and then we're going to flip the whole thing over and start placing our 1" square tubing inside of the frame. Now, most people don't do this, but this is how we plan on running all of our wiring, because I personally have ripped out multiple sets of wires dragging a trailer because they weren't secured properly. I suggested the idea to our sponsor, he loved it as gave me the go-ahead. So, that should start later this week hopefully.

Also, we're going to put the axles under it to make sure that everything hangs properly, and that none of our hanger kit pieces are missing. Shouldn't have any problems with that.
Otherwise, we're just going to be doing little things for now, putting on the brake light housings, getting everything ready for running wires later on, building a spare tire mount, license plate mount, etc. We're waiting for summer to start before we go get metal, because my buddy and I that are building this project will both be working in the shop this summer (paid by our school), so if we wait till the first week of summer, we can go down to Ashley Salvage at the same time our Ag Teacher does, and that means we'll get to pull one of the good school trailers (instead of the crappy ones they usually lend out). So, from now until the end of May there wont really be any MAJOR updates.

If you have any questions/suggestions we are more than open to them! We have the general idea of what we're going to do on this project, but since its still so early on, we're willing to listen to anything you think may help!

Thanks for reading!
-Connor
Unread 04-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #26
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

" we're going to flip the whole thing over and start placing our 1" square tubing inside of the frame. Now, most people don't do this, but this is how we plan on running all of our wiring, because I personally have ripped out multiple sets of wires dragging a trailer because they weren't secured properly "

I wonder if regular metal electrical conduit wouldn't do the same thing cheaper or easier ?

What say you ?
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

For the license plate I put mine on hinges, with a plate behind the license plate.
It is heavy enough that it stays put while going down the road, but will move if you back in and it hits the ground.
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #28
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein
" we're going to flip the whole thing over and start placing our 1" square tubing inside of the frame. Now, most people don't do this, but this is how we plan on running all of our wiring, because I personally have ripped out multiple sets of wires dragging a trailer because they weren't secured properly "

I wonder if regular metal electrical conduit wouldn't do the same thing cheaper or easier ?

What say you ?
Honestly, ive never even thought of that! Definitely going to look into it. We get a pretty good deal through our school district at the metal yards, so price should be pretty comperable, however if it would does end up being cheaper, we'll definitely go with that.
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
08Helotes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
For the license plate I put mine on hinges, with a plate behind the license plate.
It is heavy enough that it stays put while going down the road, but will move if you back in and it hits the ground.
Thats what we're doing essentially, we're going to use round hinges (greasable) that will allow the plate to swing if it hits something.
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #30
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

08 , I just threw in the cheaper part to make it look more attractive .

The easier part is what interested me the most .

Just drill some holes and run it threw the inside frame work .

The conduit is going to be lighter,smaller and much easier to work with that the 1 inch tubeing I think .

The conduit can be bent easily to get the angles you may want and the tubeing can not .

Sorry 08 , just thinking out loud here .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.