ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 09-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #121
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj View Post
WOW! That brat recipe is Awesome! Nice post Chris!
Glad you liked it. I can't take credit for the original recipe though. I got it from jfinlaw - Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Brats. My friends are calling them 'Chris Hagers' now though. I'm famous because of them (and by famous, I mean a handful of us call them that ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmdualexhaust View Post
I think I'm wishin you were my neighbor. Maybe you should move out East.
You could always move to Springfield! I always cook to much food and sure enough, some eventually gets thrown out . I need to have kids and encourage them to grow fast enough to help eat up the food! Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
You inspired me this weekend! Made pulled pork from a slow, 8 hour smoked pork butt, basted every 45 minutes and finished with a red Carolina vinegar sauce!

Attachment 473848
That looks awesome! I did a little grilling last night for the wife and me but haven't had a lot of time lately to really do some mean cooking. I'm starting on my UDS though so hopefully I'll be able to break it in soon. If I work fast enough, this weekend would be ideal for smoking some pork and a few fatties.

I have two barrels I'm burning out. They had a latex type roof coating in them and, therefore, had a red liner to burn out. I burned them out on Saturday at my parents house while we were doing some roofing - they cooked for probably 6-8 hours straight. Sunday, I was over there working on an '03 Ford diesel (the 6.0 ) and was going to bring the barrels home but they were still too hot!

Anyways, I have two barrels - one in great shape. Now that they are burned out, I'm trying to decide the next step. Maybe soap and a power washer? I wish I had a sand blaster handy. That would take care of the rest of the grime and bring the barrel back to shiny.

Here you can see the liner pealing off:

Lastly, my brother bought himself a grill/smoker and smoked a couple chickens last night. He had them on for about 5 hours. I think they look pretty good! I'll get to try them at lunch.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #122
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's a chargriller with the SFB. That's what I have and I love it. I know it's not the best smoker on the planet, and there are some issues with heat control on colder days, but in my price range 8 years ago ($150-$300) it was the best built I could find. I've had it going on 8 years and not a single problem other then standard maintenance.

Chicken looks awesome.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #123
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You are spot on! He just got the SFB Saturday. It looks like it did a good job. I've heard the heat control and dispersal of the heat isn't the greatest but with a few alterations, it works well. The chickens were cooked on the grill as it came from the factory which tells me it's set up decently well already.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #124
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've used it "stock" for years and never really had a problem. I didn't even know "heat dispersal" was an issue till I started researching advanced smoking techniques. I still haven't done any mods to it, but I may...now that I'm getting more advanced and doing more smoking. Either way, compared to the competition, I think it's fantastic. Well built, multi-purpose, it does everything I could ask and it does it with a beer in my hand and a smile on my face.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #125
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

It's the same grill I have also. I fixed my leaky spots with some of that liquid metal stuff. Just used painters tape to make sure it wouldn't stick my grill together. Also did the same when I added the smoke box. Made a ring just outside the bolt pattern to seal that to the main box.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #126
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

a welder blanket for keeping the heat some maybe ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #127
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

A welder blanket would probably help quite a bit on the windy days. That's a good idea. I'll give my brother that tip in case he wants to smoke this fall/winter.

I bought this little gem last night!

I went to retrieve my barrel last night as well and the dang thing was still hot! I emptied out all the coal and ash and washed it out. It's still a mess. I'm going to blast the can 'till it glows with the weed burner then take a grinder wheel to it.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #128
Sandlapper3396

2009 JK Wrangler 

Those brats are friggin delicious!!
Sandlapper3396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #129
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Brats

I will start by saying I found out about this recipe from JeepForum member jfinlaw. I've cooked it twice now, both times having great results.

What you need:

Toothpicks soaked in water
2 Packages of Uncooked Brats
2 Packages of Hotdog Buns
1-2lb of Bacon (I used 1 slice of thick-cut bacon per brat.)
1 Onion
2-3 Cloves of Garlic
1-2 Jalapeno's
Pickles
1 Brick of Pepperjack Cheese
Salt
Pepper
2 Cans of Beer
Water

Combine in a large pan the Brats, diced Garlic, chopped Onion, sliced Jalapeno(s), Salt, and Pepper. Pour 2 cans of Beer over everything. Add Water to bring the level up to about half full.

Boil for about 45 minutes keeping an eye on the level of liquid. Add more water if needed. I've gotten distracted before and almost evaporated all of the liquid.

When the brats have finished boiling, remove them from the pan with tongs. If using charcoal, now would be the time to light it. While the brats cool, if you have whole pickles, slice them into quarters:

Also, slice the cheese up into long, thin pieces:

Next, you want to gently slice the brats as if you were butterflying them. Don't cut all the way through. Add a slice of cheese and a pickle slice into the butterflied brat, wrap with bacon, and toothpick both ends:

Since we are cooking with bacon, I placed the charcoal on one side of the grill about 6" below the grates and placed the brats on the other side. Doing this prevents grease fires from the bacon and helps it cook slower:

Cook the brats until the bacon is cooked. Be sure to roll and shuffle them around so they all cook evenly. If you find you wish to speed up the cooking process, you can place them over the hot spot - just keep an eye on the brats and be ready to move them when the fire flairs up.

When they are finished, throw some buns on the grill to toast them. ALWAYS toast your buns... Why? I don't know, they taste better. I'm making the rule now if it doesn't already exist!

Remove from the grill and REMOVE THE TOOTHPICKS!

You are now ready to feast! We have found that no condiment is the best condiment for these brats. We tried adding some last time and it took away from the flavor.

I rate these brats as a 10/10. They are fantastic. The cheese and bacon add a rich flavor to the brats while the pickle mellows it out. The crunch of the warmed pickle really spices things up. Also, by boiling the brats in jalapeno's and then adding pepperjack cheese, the brats take on a slightly spicy zing. They DO NOT become hot and spicy though. If you don't like spicy foods, you will not have a problem with these.

I would like to thank jfinlaw for coming up with this recipe. Sometimes I like to cook with the 'less is more' attitude but other times, setting the bar higher on a food that's been grilled 10,000 times over is nice. This is one of those occasions. I hope everyone tries this recipe at one point or another. Also, as a final note, if you are worried about the pickle, I urge you to just try it. I'm willing to bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

Fisrt time checking out your thread... when I saw these, it made me smile. Not only is it a good recipie, but, you have made it even better! I never boiled the brats before.... Just threw them on the grill as is.

If I can add, If youre not a fan of the pickle, or even just want to spice it up a bit, you can of course add perhaps a few jalepenos or even those pepprocinis (not sure i spelled it right). Chasing it with your favorite beer is always a plus too.

I do respect the "less is more" but sometimes I like to get a little crazy with these things... next time, I am going to slet the bacon soak in maple syrup, and make sure I put Jalepenos in instead of pickles. It SHOULD produce an interesting sweet-spice combination...
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #130
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I like the idea of putting jalapenos in the brat in place of the pickle. I wondered how to incorporate them in. Sounds like a great idea!

I'm glad you went crazy with this. We love them! Bacon in maple syrup... You're on to something!

Thanks again for the awesome recipe!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #131
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
I like the idea of putting jalapenos in the brat in place of the pickle. I wondered how to incorporate them in. Sounds like a great idea!

I'm glad you went crazy with this. We love them! Bacon in maple syrup... You're on to something!

Thanks again for the awesome recipe!
I've tried numerous combinations with them so far. Tried buying brats from a butcher, tried about 15 different cheeses, tried them with the pickles, the jalepenos, the pepprocinis, garlic, onion, regular red and green peppers. So far, the pickle and pepper jack has been the best, followed closely by pepprocinis with habanero cheese.

I'm gonna borrow your method of boiling them in beer w/spices. Then do the maple syrup bacon. I've found it best to stay away from the "fancy" cheeses. I've tried spiced Gouda, which just melted out, and roasted garlic cheese, which was way too overpowering. Oh, and the inspiration to do the bacon in maple syrup came from a beer they sell at a little grocery store up the street. It's Maple Bacon Beer. I wish I had not only a pic of the beer, but also a pic of my reaction when I seen it!
[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #132
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I agree that the pepper jack cheese really works with this recipe. Adds a little kick to the brat.

Not only am I intrigued by this beer, I think you should mail me some! Haha.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #133
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I made a maple-honey marinade for chicken a few weeks back, just because I thought it sounded good, using syrup, honey, soy, cayenne, crushed red pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of apple cider vinegar.
I think that was it. I never write anything down. But, when you pull it off the grill, the maple syrup and honey would kinda caramelize on the chicken, locking in all the juices, and holding the spices in as well. Pretty tasty!

I'm definitely going to be following your thread, and sharing some ideas and recipes.
[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #134
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That sounds quite interesting.

I'll be looking forward to trying out some recipes!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #135
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Fatty (Pork Sausage)

Well, over on another forum I'm on for grilling/smoking, they have this thing called a Fatty. Turns out, it's nothing more than some breakfast sausage thrown on a grill or smoker. They've said you should always try one plain but since I was doing this with my brother Saturday and on a grill, not a smoker, I figured we'd go a little more in depth than slapping it right on the grill as it was.

Things you need:

2lbs Bacon
2lbs Pork Sausage
Garlic
Wax Paper

First off, build a bacon weave on top of the wax paper. My little brother did this part (I wasn't sure how to go about it. He did a good job for his first weave). I think we used about 1.5lbs of bacon for the weave.

The leftover bacon was chopped up for a later purpose.

Flatten out the 2lbs of breakfast sausage. This is what I used:

Next, I added about 5 cloves of chopped garlic and the rest of the bacon. Honestly, I don't think the remaining bacon added inside was necessary. My wife and brother think it took away from the rest of the meal as the bacon on the inside remains soft. Consider skipping the bacon.

Next, roll it up and toothpick it together. Use the wax paper to help roll it.

I cooked this on the propane side of the grill. I have a little smoker box that I placed over the flames to add the smoke flavor. I filled it up with some lump charcoal and some apple wood chips.

Heat the grill to 250 and grill the fatty for 4 hours. I found running one burner on low worked well. I placed the fatty on the lower rack opposite the lit burner for a couple hours then moved it to the top shelf and flipped it for the last couple hours.

When we removed it from the grill, we wrapped it in foil and let it rest for a half hour or so in the microwave. I don't know if this step is necessary but the wife wasn't home yet.

Here it is finished and sliced (don't forget to remove the toothpicks):

And with a little scrambled eggs and some hot sauce:

I give this recipe an 8/10. We thought it was fantastic besides the bacon on the inside being soft. It wasn't dry at all and was a nice change of pace having breakfast for dinner. It's really simple and quite cheap. Give it a try!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.