ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #76
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Hey guy! Sorry I've gotten a little behind on the replies. I was in Jamaica for the past week or so. Let's see if I can catch up a little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakwj
I'm going to be trying those Atomic Buffalo Turds on Saturday. Slow cooked on the veggie rack in the BBQ box. Thinking applewood bacon with some apple wood chips, and a little apple juice and hot sauce to baste them.
That sounds really good. How did they turn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillathrilla
Have you tried smoking any cheeses? One of the regular smokers on VWvortex smoked a bunch of delicious cheeses and then made an awesome smoked macaroni and cheese with them.

Just a suggestion.. Usually when you think of smoking food, you're thinking of meats or veggies. Cheese adds a whole new element to it.
That's a really good point. I'm going to have to start thinking outside the box! When you say 'smoked a bunch of delicious cheeses', do you actually buy a brick of cheese and smoke it? I haven't heard of this but I want to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretolearn
Hey chris have you ever tried anything different in the stuffed brat?
I haven't tried anything different... yet... I may be doing these again tomorrow and am open to suggestions as to different ingredients to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakwj
Just slow cooked some chicken thighs. Also made my own sauce. Thought they weren't quite done, but that's just how juicy they were. 3 hr cook time. Came out awesome.
Sauce consisted of:

2 cups Ketchup
2 drops Liquid Smoke
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tbsp Ground Mustard
1 tsp Mesquite Seasoning
1/4 cup Red Chilli Flakes
1.5 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp of Crushed Garlic
2 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 a Beer
1/2 cup Honey
1/4 cup Sugar

Mix it all up heat to boil, stirring frequently. Once boiling for a few minutes remove from heat and continue stirring. Place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to cool and thicken up. Now you can marinade or use to slop on your meat.
That sounds amazing. I edited it a little to make it easier for me to read when I try it out. If I don't do the Brats tomorrow night, I might give these a shot. Liquid Smoke, eh? I'm not sure if I've heard of that before. How strong of a flavor does a couple drops create? I may try substituting the Liquid Smoke with a smoke/slow grill type of cooking. Thoughts?

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #77
Pockets518
2001 WJ 

Made these over the weekend, just some simple chicken drum sticks marinated in franks wing sauce and cooked slow on a rack over low coals, Baxter with wing sauce ever like 15-20 min to keep moist. Took like hour and a half to cook to my doneness of chicken and came out amazing!!!
forumrunner_20120710_100100.jpg  
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #78
heretolearn
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
Hey guy! Sorry I've gotten a little behind on the replies. I was in Jamaica for the past week or so. Let's see if I can catch up a little...

I haven't tried anything different... yet... I may be doing these again tomorrow and am open to suggestions as to different ingredients to try!

I may try substituting the Liquid Smoke with a smoke/slow grill type of cooking. Thoughts?
Learn any new recipes while down there?

Im more of a jalapeno guy so didnt know if you had a recipe for something spicier? Or a spicy sauce to top them with.

We cook with liquid smoke quite a bit at home. I really enjoy it. Never added more than a few drops to anything though
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #79
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Those wings look awesome!

I didn't learn any new recipes, per say. I am thinking about grilling some Jerk Chicken though. I had some down there that was unbelievable!

For the spicier brats, maybe instead of a pickle, try a jalapeno slice? Also, when initially boiling, perhaps include some hot sauce. I imagine that would help infuse the spicy flavor into the brat.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #80
Pockets518
2001 WJ 

For a first attempt and not knowing what to expect they were awesome, can't wait to do some more.
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #81
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I've never seen wing holders like that. I have beer butt chicken stands but that rack is pretty cool! My grilling aids and utensils are growing so fast, I'm going to have to dedicate some of my garage cabinets for it all!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #82
Pockets518
2001 WJ 

Ha! My brother brought it from Ohio said he couldn't figure it out so i had to show him how its done lol.
Ohh and FYI chicken drumsticks work way better as wings on the grill due to their size lol
Unread 07-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #83
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

Chris- the liquid smoke is very strong. 1-2 drops that's all you really need. I also used the sauce as a marinade for a bout 2 hours before. He atomic buffalo turds were put on hold because the wife had other plans.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #84
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Marinated Grilled Shrimp

I have a few more recipes for ya'll! My brother and I decided to do another massive grilling day yesterday. We had a handful of good friends over, did a little swimming, and a lot of grilling. Great day!

And here we go:

First off for the day was Marinated Grilled Shrimp:

Ingredients
3 Cloves Mince Garlic
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Tomato Sauce
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
2 tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 lb Fresh Shrimp
Skewers - Water Soaked

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and stir in the shrimp. Let this sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.

After they've had time to soak up the mixture, skewer through the tail and head of each shrimp.

Place on grill a few minutes per side. The shrimp won't take long to cook, especially if you bought precooked shrimp. I unfortunately made the mistake of cooking them to long.

(Sneak peak of the next recipe! )

Enjoy!

I rate this recipe a 6/10. The flavor was awesome and the recipe is very simple and quick. I'm rating it less than it deserves because I overcooked my shrimp. I was a bit distracted prepping other food. Don't make the mistake of leaving the shrimp alone!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #85
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Grilled Jalapeno Poppers

I grilled up some more jalapeno poppers yesterday when I was cooking the shrimp. I've done these before but tried a different recipe this time.

Ingredients
8 oz Cream Cheese
2 tbsp graded Parmesan Cheese
1.5 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
1.5 tsp Garlic Powder
16 Jalapeno Peppers
Bacon
Toothpicks

First, combine the 3 cheeses and the garlic powder. Mix it all up. For some reason, I felt it was necessary to form a nice round ball after it was mixed. At this point, feel free to get creative and make whatever shape you wish. Whomever submits the best picture of their cheese shape will win a free high-five from me if we were ever to meet.

Anyways, I cut the tips of the Jalapeno's off, sliced them in half, then cleaned out the seeds. Rinsing them under water helps to get all the seeds out.

Once cut and cleaned, cram a decent amount of cheese in the Jalapeno half then wrap with a half slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick. When all are prepared, place on the grill over indirect heat. A trick I learned a little to late yesterday is to start them with the cheese facing down. When you roll them over, the cheese will be melting quite a bit. I did this step backwards and lost a little more cheese than I wished.

Also, in the above picture, you can see a few extra strips of bacon. I had 2 pieces left and figured they weren't worth saving. I grilled them up right on the grates. I was told they were unbelievable...

Once the bacon has crisped up, remove from the grill and eat up!

I'm going to rate these as a 9/10. They were unbelievable. The jalapeno's weren't too spicy but definitely had some bite to them. The cheese helped mellow out the spicy and provided a nice, rich flavor. I cooked these early, ate a handful, then stuck 'em in the fridge for others that arrived later. Turns out, these things are great cold too!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #86
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

I think I found dinner for tonight!!!
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #87
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Smoked Brisket

Unfortunately, I didn't get a bunch of pictures of the brisket. My recipe for my first attempt at this was very simple though. What you need:

Brisket (I had a 4 pounder)
Seasoning Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder

I started by carving off a little extra fat. Some fat is good - it's been rumored to hold in the juice, flavor the meat, provide the meat with extra juice, etc. So, feel free to take off the big chunks but leave plenty behind. It will render out quite a bit.

Once trimmed, I coated the brisket with the above seasonings and rubbed them in. How much seasoning? Coat it well and smell it. If it smells good, it probably tastes good.

Grill prep - I used natural lump charcoal and mesquite smoking chips. I let the lump charcoal burn down a bit (cooked at about 200F), placed some mesquite chips that had soaked in water over the charcoal, and placed a foil 'boat' of mesquite chips above the charcoal on the grate. I had the charcoal low and on one side of the grill near a vent and located the brisket on the opposite, high side of the grill near the top vent.

When the grill is ready, toss on the brisket. I started with the 'cap' up. I turned the brisket after 45 minutes. After another 45 minutes, roll it over. Another 45 minutes, turn it again. You want all 4 sides to trade locations. This helps it cook more evenly.

Don't mind the hot dog in the picture. A friend I hadn't seen in a long time joined us. She for some reason wanted hot dogs, even though I had more awesome food ready!

Keep an eye on your grill temperature. You want to keep it at about 200F. When you are getting close to done, feel free to check the internal temperature. I believe I pulled mine off at about 145F. It was definitely cooked, definitely juicy, perhaps cooked to medium or a little under.

Let it sit for a few minutes before slicing. First cut - check out that smoke penetration! Also, I let my fancy pants new chef's knife make it in the shot!

I think this turned out wonderfully. The smoke flavor definitely made itself known. The brisket was plenty juicy and flavorful enough to not need any BBQ sauce. I'm giving this one an 8/10.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #88
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wonderful! The new indexed beginning is great!

I've just found out we'll be moving to Texas soon and finally getting a house with a yard/patio and the ability to grill year-round and this thread is continuing to inspire me to get my butt in gear and start grilling! So tasty looking!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #89
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Always glad to inspire! I am loving all this grilling. Many of these recipes are new to me. So far, I feel like I've lucked out, though a few recipes I haven't! I'm learning as I go though and find I want to grill more with each meal!

My brothers came up with an awesome hamburger recipe that's been refined over the last few years. I might have to cook some up next time my younger brother comes home. It's definitely unique and comes with wonderful results!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #90
torchd
1998 ZJ 

definitely subscribing to this!

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.