ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #61
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

A friend invited me over for a brisket tonight but I can't make it

'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #62
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Well, my brothers and I did an awesome grilling... I'll have a new recipe for ya'll soon... :-)

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #63
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Smoked Pork Loin

I was able to spend Saturday grilling and swimming with my brothers. We decided to grill a pork loin. After thinking about it for a little while, we thought we would try smoking it on the charcoal side of the grill. Here's what you need:

Charcoal (I used all natural hardwood lump - awesome stuff)
Wood Chips (I used Apple smoking chips)

4lb Pork Loin
1lb Bacon (I used apple smoked)
Season Salt
Basil
Spicy Garlic
Garlic Salt
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
Oregano

Mix all of the seasonings in a bowl. My brothers did this part while I was cleaning up the kitchen. I'm not positive how much of each they used but they literally mixed it until it smelled good...

Rub the seasonings into the meat. Once the outside was covered, we snipped the cords tying it together, opened it up, and finished rubbing in the seasonings. Follow that up by wrapping the whole loin (still open, not folded back together) in bacon, holding it together with toothpicks.

At this point, we prepped the grill. If you want to speed up the process, light the charcoal before you prep the pork.

For starters, we made a pouch out of foil for the apple wood chips. Place a few handfuls of the wood chips in the foil and poke a few holes in the top. We also soaked a separate handful of wood chips in warm water.

The charcoal - I decided to try out the natural lump charcoal. This was the first time I've ever used it and I'm pleased to say I love it! I used a chimney to light my charcoal over the burner on the grill. Worked like a charm!

Once the coals are ready, dump them on one side of the grill. If you can, lower the charcoal on that side as well.

At this point, I put the wet handful of apple chips directly on the coals and placed the packet of dry apple chips on the grate above the coals. You want the chips to smoke. If they aren't smoking or if they are on fire, they aren't working with you.

Now it's time to add the pork! I put it on the top rack opposite of the coals.

Now, every 45 minutes I turned it - side to side, flip, then side to side again. This adds up to 3 hours. I found I dried mine out too much so I recommend turning it every 30 minutes. I believe pork needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F. If it hasn't yet reached this point, cook the loin for a little longer. Also, every time I turned the loin, I checked to make sure the coals were still burning. If more charcoal is needed, don't be afraid to add to the pile to keep it lit. I ran the grill at about 300F the entire cook time. Here is how it looked at each turn:

If, at this point, you feel the bacon needs charred, feel free to carefully cook it over direct coals for a short amount of time. We did this with the opened packet of wood chips sitting below on top of the coals - added extra smoke and reduced the chances of a flame up. The following picture you can see the foil packet open directly on the coals - this definitely produces a lot of smoke!

And the final product:

If you'll notice, the pork was developing a bit of a smoke ring inside the bacon.

My final thoughts - the flavor was fantastic. A 4lb loin and my go-to pile of potatoes is more than enough for 5 people (though only 3 of us ate it with a bit of leftovers). I do feel I cooked it too long (or too high of a temperature). If you try this recipe, adjust one of the two conditions. Only because I'm not crazy about dry meat, I'm giving this a 6/10. If the pork was more moist, it would easily be an 8/10.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #64
viimag
1979 CJ5 

The reason it was dry is that you got the internal temp to high. I take mine off at 135-138 deg, cover in foil and let sit for 10 min. This allows the internal temp to continue to raise and fully cook the meat without over cooking. This may be a little to rare for some but I have not gotten sick from it yet. If the internal temp does not get to 140 I put it back on for more time. I figure that taking in to account the margin of error built in to the following information I will be safe at 140.

Here is some info from the Government... and we all know that they only have our best interest at heart... from this website about half way down....

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...able/index.asp

What foodborne organisms are associated with pork?
Pork must be adequately cooked to eliminate disease-causing parasites and bacteria that may be present. Humans may contract trichinosis (caused by the parasite, Trichinella spiralis) by eating undercooked pork. Much progress has been made in reducing trichinosis in grain-fed hogs and human cases have greatly declined since 1950. Today's pork can be enjoyed when cooked to an internal temperature of 145 F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source. For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before carving or consuming. For reasons of personal preference, consumers may choose to cook meat to higher temperatures.

Some other foodborne micro-organisms that can be found in pork, as well as other meats and poultry, are Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus aureus and Listeria monocytogenes. They are all destroyed by proper handling and thorough cooking.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #65
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I'll have to give this a shot. I have a small pork roast that's been begging to be cooked.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #66
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Right on! I've been getting into the longer grill type foods lately. I'm going to try brisket the next chance I get an afternoon free (probably won't happen for about a month ).

In other news, in preparation for our recent wedding, the girls would get together for craft night making things and such for said wedding. Well, not to be left out, us guys decided to get together as well for man craft night (beer, grilling, building a waterproof sound system in a cooler for float trips, custom built guitar, jeep work, you get the idea). We decided to keep this going even though the wedding is over annnd tonight happens to be that night. The girls are leaving so we are thinking about grilling the bacon wrapped stuffed brats again. Any suggestions for different sides to try?

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #67
viimag
1979 CJ5 

Atomic Buffalo Turds.... (they have bacon!!!)

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recip...buffalo-turds/
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #68
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Interesting idea! I've cooked a more basic version of those last Superbowl. It was a jalapeno half and cream cheese, wrapped in bacon and thrown on the grill. Turned out amazing! Not too hot. The recipe above sounds like it adds a little extra sweet and spice to appetizer. I'm going to have to try those out sometime.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #69
viimag
1979 CJ5 

I view most recipes as suggestions or guidelines to be changed or customized as I see fit. (does not work well for baking). That link was just to get the general idea across. I have never used that one myself although it looks good. I would tend to use shrimp instead of the little smokies myself.
Unread 06-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #70
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oooooo now you're talking...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #71
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I ended up going with the Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Brats and the normal potato pile. I was a little busy yesterday afternoon so I didn't really have time to try any fun sides. They turned out great though!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #72
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

I'm going to be trying those Atomic Buffalo Turds on Saturday. Slow cooked on the veggie rack in the BBQ box. Thinking applewood bacon with some apple wood chips, and a little apple juice and hot sauce to baste them.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #73
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried smoking any cheeses? One of the regular smokers on VWvortex smoked a bunch of delicious cheeses and then made an awesome smoked macaroni and cheese with them.

Just a suggestion.. Usually when you think of smoking food, you're thinking of meats or veggies. Cheese adds a whole new element to it.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #74
heretolearn
2002 WJ 

Hey chris have you ever tried anything different in the stuffed brat?
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #75
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

Just slow cooked some chicken thighs. Also made my own sauce. Thought they weren't quite done, but that's just how juicy they were. 3 hr cook time. Came out awesome.
Sauce consisted of 2 Cups ketchup, 2 drops of liquid smoke, 1 tbspn of cayenne pepper, 1 tbspn ground mustard, 1 tspn of mesquite seasoning, 1/4 cup red chilli flakes, 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar, 1 tspn of crushed garlic, 2tspn black pepper, 1/2 a beer,1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup sugar. Mix it all up heat to boil, stirring frequently. Once boiling for a few minutes remove from heat and continue stirring. Place it in the freezer for 20-30 minutes to cool and thicken up. Now you can marinade or use to slop on your meat.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.