ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks! We are definitely ready for the day to get here.

I will be posting a bunch of pics of this food setup. It's definitely more unique than typical wedding food (actually, the entire wedding is a bit more unique than normal).

ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Chicken and Veggies

Well, I have today, tomorrow, and Monday off of work for the wedding and was able to sneak in a little time to grill today. ReJeana (fiance) bought me a grilling pan so I thought I would give it a shot for lunch:

She picked it up at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for under 10 bucks. My initial review - get one. It's awesome and I had no issues with the veggies sticking.

I understand many people are eating healthy and, let's face it, my previous recipes are far from healthy. I decided to do a grilling today with no salt, butter, oil, etc.

What you need:
1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Orange Pepper
1/2 White Onion
1 Package of Mushrooms
Chicken Breast(s)

First, start off by rinsing the peppers and cutting them. I cut them into quarters, cut out the inside seeds/stem, then sliced them up. Toss them into the pan.

Cut and add the half onion at this point as well.

I also rinsed and quartered the mushrooms at this point. Don't add them to the pan yet.

With the grill preheated and the burners on high, place the pan on the grates (this recipe was grilled with the lid open).

After about 15 minutes (be sure to stir the peppers/onion throughout), add the quartered mushrooms.

At this time, also add the unseasoned chicken breast(s) (yes, unseasoned). I grilled mine on medium-high.

Continue to grill the veggies and chicken until the chicken is fully cooked (I believe 165°F or white in the middle):

All of the veggies can be eaten at any point. I like mine soft but with a little crunch. If you follow my time frame, you should be right at this stage.

Once finished, enjoy!

Being a healthy meal, I think it turned out quite well. If I rated it on the overall grill scale, I'd say it was probably a 6 (believe it or not - and that's with no seasonings). Since I understand it's a healthy meal (which doesn't always taste the best) and it was done on a grill, I'm going to knock it up one notch and give it a 7. The veggies definitely stay moist and the chicken, assuming it's not overcooked, stays juicy as well.

Also, as a side note, these veggies are great to cook for any grilling occasion. The amounts I described above could be easily spread between 4 people if used as a side. If eating only the veggies and a single chicken breast per person, I'd think this amount would comfortably serve two people.
Unread 06-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #33
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Man you guys are making me hungry!!!
Subscribed

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #34
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Always glad to appeal to someone's grilling senses. I'm tempted to post a link in the General Discussion to bring in more fellow grillers! :-)
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

Any updates?
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #36
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That looks very similar to the arroz con pollo I had at the local Mexican restaurant yesterday.. It's just missing the cheese sauce and rice.

Delicious.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #37
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

looks killer, good job .

I would have been tempted to have been hiiting the vegies with Soy Sauce while cooking them and the breast too maybe .

But that's just me .

Tiger Brand Sauce would probably work too .

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #38
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Thanks guys! Sorry I haven't updated this week. The wedding cleanup definitely took a lot of time. I'm going to grill today so ill definitely be doing another recipe... I'm thinking fish and/or shrimp. If anyone has any other ideas, send 'em my way! I won't be buying the food for another couple hours.
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #39
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

buy some Tiger Brand Hot Sauce if you have never had any .

Great stuff of Ka-bobs,chicken,shrimp etc.
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #40
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My father in law gave me some of that recently. It is quite good. I'll see about incorporating that in today!
Unread 06-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #41
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm cooking steaks and burgers today for the folks... I normally just do a little salt and pepper on a good steak.. sometimes a little butter or garlic butter on the grill as well, but today I bought some stuff from Big Kahuna to rub on the steaks. We'll see how that goes!

I've never grilled fish, ironically enough. Let me know how that turns out for you! Do you cook on a plank, or straight on the grill?
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #42
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Grilled Salmon

Well, I gave it a shot! I've only grilled fish one other time with pretty good results so I figured I'd amp it up and drop some coin on a nice 2lb salmon fillet. This is a very simple recipe. I'm only documenting the cooking of the salmon but you'll see in the picture we had corn on the cob, onions and potatoes, and pork chops as well yesterday. It was an awesome grilling day!

What you need:
Salmon Fillet (any size - we used a 2lb'er which was a ton for two people when sides are included)
Soy Sauce
Maple Syrup

First, mix together 1/3 cup of soy sauce with a 1/3 cup of syrup. Be sure to mix it pretty well. Syrup, especially when cold, doesn't play well with others.

Slice the salmon into nice strips. I think mine were about 2"-3" wide:

Place the salmon into a pan and pour the soy sauce/syrup mixture over the top. If you need to mix up more to cover it all, feel free to do so.

Let this soak for at least a half hour in the fridge, though longer is better.

When it comes time to to grill, heat it up, clean the grates, and rub vegetable oil over the grates.

Next, remove the salmon from the pan and apply vegetable oil on both sides of the salmon. This is done to prevent sticking. The two things you don't want to do are overcook the salmon or have it stick to the grill.

Place the salmon meat side down on the grill. Cook on medium to medium-high over direct heat for 3 minutes. Here you can see me adding oil to the skin side. I found it easier to add the oil to the meat side, set it on the grill, then oil the skin side. Also, once you place the salmon on the grill, don't move it until you are ready to flip.

After 3 minutes, flip to the skin side.

Once 3 minutes is up, remove from the grill and let sit for 5 or so minutes. The fish will continue to cook itself once removed from the heat.

While the fish rests, mix up another batch of a 1/3 cup of soy sauce and a 1/3 cup of syrup. Pour it in a pan and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes and then bring to a simmer.

Pour the glaze over the salmon and feast away!

(Our results)

This was definitely an interesting recipe. The combination of the soy sauce and the maple syrup adds a sweet flavor but isn't over powering as if you were to add just syrup. The fish takes on a nice grill flavor which I think is complimented by the glaze.

To reiterate:
Use plenty of oil.
Don't move the fish once it's been placed on the grill.
Cook quickly. You can always put the fish back on the grill if it isn't finished. You can't uncook it though.
Also, when cooking the glaze, it lets off quite a sweet smell that sticks around for quite a while. Just an FYI...

Overall, I give this an 8. I honestly want to rate it higher but I don't have much experience with grilled fish. A higher rating would be biased!
Unread 06-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #43
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

We eat a lot of fish out here, especially salmon. Delicious, healthy, and there's so much of it in the grocery store that we often get great deals on it!

For salmon on the grille, we often do a butter/lemon/dill/fresh garlic/salt mixture and then grille it skin side down with no flipping. Season the grilles before the fish goes on. About 15 min on medium until the garlic starts to caramelize. Delicious!

Another take is to skip the dill and use sun-dried tomatoes, the kind that come in olive oil not the dry kind. While I like the dry kind better in general (use them in pasta), the oiled kind really cook up nicely on the grille and lend a lot of their flavor to the meat.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #44
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Wow that does sound good. I'm going to have to try that next time around!

Out of curiosity, how much do you north-westerners spend per pound of salmon? I had to drop right at 10/lb yesterday to get fresh salmon.
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #45
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Oh and on a side note, any suggestions for another grilling? My brother and his girlfriend are coming over tonight so we figured we'd fire up the grill again while working on some stuff in the garage. I won't be picking up food for a few more hours so throw some suggestions out if you have any!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.