ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #301
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I believe it was a round steak. We're still working through a bunch of meat from the portion of cow we bought quite a while ago. The labels weren't printed extremely well...

ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 04:10 AM   #302
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

So here's where we're at. Fajitas.
image-1936783064.jpg

Wifey brought Japs (god bless her). Stripped out and loaded with mince with the four orange spices and lime juice with a strip of cheese to melt

image-57838178.jpg

image-2749915000.jpg

image-2351031241.jpg

Hot coals:

image-2599601561.jpg

Let's see what jappens.......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #303
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Looks great so far!
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #304
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The weather is finally turning!!! I've fired up the grill for some hamburgers, hotdogs, brats, and steaks a few times already. Last weekend, I popped the top off my smoker and took a look. There's a decent amount of surface rust built up on the inside. I think the next chance I get, I'm going to take the wire wheel to it and clean off the rust, spray it down with some cooking oil, then fire it up and smoke a pork fatty or two to re-season it. I look forward to getting back into grilling/smoking. My first few smokes are already looking to be chicken, pork butts (duh! ), and brisket!

I just wanted to let y'all know I haven't given up the hobby!
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #305
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

You mean a die hard like you stops for a little cool weather!!!!

Hey I tried your brat recipe out on New Years day and everyone loved it!
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #306
gazzo
1984 CJ7 

Little pork from last weekend. Got a new barby and just getting used to it. This one got too hot too quick. Came out nice though. I can fit a fire box to the side of this so that will be interesting. Wifey hates smoke :boohoo:

image-320457188.jpg

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/gazzos-cj10-truck-2185617/
gazzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #307
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
You mean a die hard like you stops for a little cool weather!!!!
Haha! Never! I do keep it up but I'm definitely not as motivated when it's freezing and there is snow on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey I tried your brat recipe out on New Years day and everyone loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzo View Post
Little pork from last weekend. Got a new barby and just getting used to it. This one got too hot too quick. Came out nice though. I can fit a fire box to the side of this so that will be interesting. Wifey hates smoke :boohoo:
Awesome! New grills are fun!

My wife isn't a big fan of grilled/smoked food either. I think it's growing on her though. Either way, I'll have a little helper/food critic soon now that my son is almost walking!

I actually wanted to smoke the last couple weekends but haven't planned far enough ahead. I recently popped off the lid to the UDS and noticed quite a bit of surface rust. I'm highly considering taking the wire wheel to the inside, washing it out, then re-seasoning it. I don't really like the thought of all that rust in the cooking area...
Unread 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #308
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'll leave these pictures here...

Grilled Steak:

+ Chopped:

+ Grilled, chopped, and waaay overdone green pepper + chopped onion:

+ Relocated to a hoagie bun + topped with provolone cheese:

+ Melted together:

= Delicious.

Also, throwing 1 to many steaks on the grill works great for a late night snack a day or two later:

Unread 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #309
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I actually wanted to smoke the last couple weekends but haven't planned far enough ahead. I recently popped off the lid to the UDS and noticed quite a bit of surface rust. I'm highly considering taking the wire wheel to the inside, washing it out, then re-seasoning it. I don't really like the thought of all that rust in the cooking area...
Finally cleaned 'er up, and just in time for the 4th of July weekend! I went at it with a grinder to clean all the rust off. The ash pan was rusted through unfortunately. I haven't had time to make a new one but may whip it up this weekend. For now, I'll just tip my barrel to empty the ashes. I didn't bother grinding on the coal basket as I figured a nice hot fire would be good enough to 'clean' it. Wow, was that a messy project. Let me tell ya, cutting yourself on the wire wheel when exposed to rust dust is not the best of things. Queue emergency tetanus shot. After grinding everything, I washed it with soap and water then sprayed the inside with a couple cans of canola oil. I followed that up with a decently warm charcoal fire to burn it all in. Anyway, here's what it looked like. I didn't get any after shots but it turned out much cleaner than before. I imagine with this weekend's cooking plans, you'll get a glimpse or two of the clean barrel.

Moldy...

Unread 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #310
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

After cleaning my barrel and running to prompt care, we headed over to my brother's to pick up some fresh beef and stir up a little ruckus. While loading the cooler with burger, he asked if I wanted any steaks. Apparently he had about 20 packages of fresh beef sirloin tip steak that his wife won't eat therefore he won't cook. He set me up with about 10 packages since they were taking up space in his freezer. Naturally, we had to grill up a few. Salt, pepper, and charcoal grilled, we thought they were darn good!

Unread 07-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #311
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Pulled Pork

I cooked like a mad man over the 4th of July weekend. One of my favorite items to smoke is pork. This weekend, we decided on a picnic that weighed in at about 8 lbs. My go-to seasoning is Chris Lilly's rub. The concoction goes as follows:

1/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Paprika
1/3 cup Garlic Salt
1/3 cup Kosher Salt*
1 tablespoon Chili Powder
1 teaspoon Oregano Leaves
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Black Pepper

*IF your meat isn't 'natural' and has some kind of added solution or preservative, I highly recommend reducing or eliminating the salt from this recipe. I made the mistake once of including the salt in the rub for a preserved chunk of pork - wow was it salty!

Anyway, the first thing I did was chopped off the pig's skin, which left an interesting scent in the kitchen that about made my wife sick.

I just noticed you can see my little man's baby picture on the mug in this picture.

The 'inside' was much cleaner.

Next up, I covered it in the rub. Generously.

At this point, it was ready to go on the smoker, which I set at 225F. The rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per pound. At 8 pounds, we were looking at 12 hours, give or take. My goal was to pull this at around 190 internal temperature as typically that's when the meat starts falling off the bone. A little more never hurts either. Once off, I like to wrap it in a towel and throw it in a cooler for a couple hours. Unfortunately, I was a little rushed. While I did bring it to 190, the bone wasn't wiggling meaning it could have stayed on a little longer. Since it was already late into the night, I pulled it anyway and let it rest in the cooler for only an hour before letting it sleep away the night in the fridge.

I waited until the next day to pull it so to add a tiny bit of extra cook time, I heated it back up in the oven for a little while. This seemed to help.

Pulled:

Sandwich:

Overall, it was very good but I'll admit, it was absolutely not my best pulled pork. My problem was I started cooking it at 11am instead of 11pm like I prefer for a long smoke. Lesson learned.

Rating - 8/10 as I know how great this can be!

Unread 07-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #312
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Smoked Chicken Roll Up Things

As stated above, since plans changed and I was rushed, the Smoked Chicken that I loved so much the last time I cooked it ended up taking up residence on my grill instead of the smoker. This time, it burned. I'll humbly show you pictures of the fiasco and how we fixed the issue. I don't have the recipe for the roll up things so you'll just have to wing it. If anyone is really interested, my wife probably has the recipe somewhere.

Chicken

Chicken covered in mustard and seasoning.

Chicken with burned skin.

It looked worse that it was. I flaked off the burned skin and found the meat was falling off the bone and tasted good. At this point though, we decided burgers and hot dogs were the new lunch menu. Therefore, RJ and Elias shredded the chicken in the mixer.

He points at everything right now.

Once shredded, we threw it in the fridge with the intention of making chicken salad...

...BUT, after finishing up the yard Sunday, I came in to find RJ making some kind of chicken roll up stuff.

Delicious sauce...

Baked

Yum! Overall, a good save for a rushed and burned chicken!
Unread 07-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #313
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Lastly, here are a couple images of the 'save the day' hotdogs and hamburgers.

On the left is a jar of Habanero Garlic. My wife picked it up down south not too long ago and pulled it out of the cabinet when I brought in the meat. I figured garlic? habanero? Heck yeah! Why not throw it on the burger? It's impressive how good these little fella's are. Just enough spice to make you know you ate something hot without the need to guzzle milk.

On the right, the Jalapeno Onion Relish on the hotdog is awesome. As with the garlic, she picked it up down south.

Unread 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #314
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I did a little more grilling this past weekend. Steaks and 'taters!

Unread 07-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #315
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

We had some family/friends over last night and decided to grill stuffed brats and burgers. I had no issue with the bacon burning when using the top rack of the grill with charcoal keeping the grill at 400F, which is always a plus!

Friday, our original manager/booking agent/sound guy may be coming over. If all goes as planned, food will be grilled, guitars will be played, and fires will be bonned. I'll try to snap some pics of the feastings!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.