ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Subscribed and inspired.. I think I need to start a thread.

Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

We did the brats last night - they were awesome. I had two leftover for lunch today - I just nuked to warm up, and used tabasco sauce on them today. They were better today than last night (didn't use tabasco last night).

I wonder if they are like chili, spaghetti, etc. - better the second day? Or was it just the tabasco that made it better?

Either way - awesome
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

We've reheated a few the next day as well. Personally, I think they are better fresh. I imagine the hot sauce just amped 'em up a bit!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #19
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Creole Beer Butt Chicken

New recipe time! We did a pretty massive grilling Saturday. While I did change 3 of our vehicle's oils, I should have been working as opposed to creating this feast. Oh well, everyone needs a Saturday afternoon off from time to time!

We cooked a beer butt chicken, spicy chicken wings, and as usual, the potato dish. First off, the Beer Butt Chicken!

Things you will need:

5 lb Chicken
Creole Seasoning
Chili Powder
Garlic Salt
Salt
Pepper
Beer
Vegetable Oil
Soy Sauce
2-3 Cloves of Minced Garlic (I cheated and used pre-minced garlic).

First of all, clean out the chicken of all the extra goodies left inside. Rinse with water inside and out.

Next, cover the chicken with Creole Seasoning. Rub it in. If you have small cuts on your hands, gloves may be desired. I found this out the hard way. Anyway, the Creole Seasoning was my 'main seasoning'. The other seasonings (Chili Powder, Garlic Salt, Salt, and Pepper) were more of compliments to the Creole. I added a little (maybe a tablespoon for each side) and smelled it after rubbing in the seasoning. If it smelled good, I assumed it was going to taste good. So, go off of smell and season to your likings.

Next, discard (the word 'drink' can be substituted here) 1/3 of a beer. In place of this removed beer, add 2-3 cloves of Garlic, maybe 10 splashes of Soy Sauce, and some Vegetable Oil. Don't worry about filling the can back to the top. The ingredients added to the beer are mainly there to add flavor to the steam.

I have a couple handy beer butt chicken stands. I placed the can in the stand, sat the chicken over the can, and put the whole thing on the grill. I turned the right side burner on and placed the chicken on the left side. I was running the grill around 200-225F. Every half hour, I would turn the chicken. Overall, it takes about 3 hours to slow cook this beast.

The chicken is done when it reaches 165F internally. When it's finished, let it cool a little before carving.

Finished product (wing recipe is next):

My thoughts on this: The chicken tasted really good. It was a little dry to me but not like a typical 'too dry' piece of chicken. The Creole seasoning and Chili powder definitely created an interesting flavor but wasn't too over powering (I was a little nervous about the strength of the Creole). This was extremely easy to prepare/cook. It isn't something that needs watched constantly so would be a good afternoon grill if you were busy working on something else. I'd rate this at a 6/10 - The flavor didn't seep in as well as I'd hoped. I'm going to try for a different recipe next time around.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Spicy Chicken Wings

Alright so this one I got a little creative with. I was going off an internet recipe but turned out to not have exactly what I needed. I'm going to post MY recipe since it turned out amazing!

What you need:
3-5 lb of Chicken Wings (I used legs)
Pepsi
Frank's RedHot Hot Sauce
Tiger Sauce (Mainly because I didn't have enough hot sauce. Not needed unless extra *zing* is desired.)
Soy Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Chili Powder
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Beer

In a large pan, combine a cup of Frank's hot sauce, a bottle of Pepsi, 1/4 teaspoon of Chili Powder, 1/4 teaspoon of Garlic Salt, 1/4 teaspoon of Pepper, a tablespoon or two of Worcestershire Sauce, a tablespoon or two of Soy Sauce, and a splash of HOT sauce (if desired). Next, add all of the chicken wings to the mixture. If the level of the liquid is not to the top of the wings, add beer (cooking with beer should be a staple in a man's diet).

I let these soak for a couple hours then placed on the grill. Total cook time is probably about an hour. Here's where it gets interesting:

Place the pan with the chicken wings onto a burner and bring to a boil. Boil for about 15 minutes.

Next, remove the wings from the pan and place on the grill. Reduce the pan to a simmer and grill the wings for about 10 minutes.

Place the wings back into the pan and boil for another 15 minutes. Then grill the other side for 10 minutes. And lastly, back in the pan for another 10 minutes.

That's it! Let them cool for a few minutes and they are ready to serve.

My thoughts:

Amazing. By trading back and forth from the grill to the boiling concoction, you get almost a crisped feel to the chicken with an extremely juicy bite. The hot sauce isn't too spicy and with being cooked in Pepsi, there is a sort of rich flavor added to the chicken. I am still shocked at how juicy the chicken was. The meat was literally falling off the bone. I'd rate this at probably an 8/10. It's fairly simple to cook though it does take a little more attention than other meals.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #21
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My grilling area:

And final product from Saturday:

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
cobra_4
2010 JK Wrangler 

Im hungry all of a sudden!!!
cobra_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Gonna grill some potatoes and onions, corn on the cob, and porkchops this evening. Happy memorial day! Thanks to all who have served! Here's a pre-grill picture!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #24
2aul1642
2001 WJ 

The way we make the beer butt chicken down here, we use Pecan Tree wood to smoke it. Rub it down with the usual seasoning, as well as injecting the chicken with beer every time we check it. As for the beer we use Coors Light, but I want to try it with Shiner Bock and see if it gives a different flavor. From the times we made, we never had it come out dry at all.

Keep it up with the recipes man!
2aul1642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #25
doug dornbos

I currently grill on a Weber Baby-Q both when I'm on the go and when it's just for the Mrs. and me at home. If I'm home and am going to grill something big, I grill on a Holland Grill. I've actually hauled my Holland around a lot ratchet strapped down to a platform in my Reese hitch but you wouldn't want to 2-track like that. I also have a slightly modified 2-wheel dolly that allows me to slide the whole grill in and out of a van all by myself. I've put on thousands of miles with a grill in or on my vehicle and have grilled just about everything imaginable on the grill both at home and away. BTW: the motel maid said that my turkey thawing in the bathtub full of water was nowhere near the weirdest thing she ever saw while cleaning the motel room.

That being said, here is some of my other experiences:

You can easily bake a pie in the Holland, but it's hard to do on most grills. A great way to serve pie when you're grilling out away from home, for instance when you're at the drag strip for a day, is to buy a pie ready to serve from the bakery, but when you get to the track, park facing the sun as much as possible, and put the pie on the dash board of your car. By suppertime, we've had pie with an internal temp of 160 degrees from the dashboard. Usually we send someone back to the concession booth to buy some ice cream to go with it.

I've tried every trick (including all the various methods and concoctions of soaking) for grilling corn-on-the-cob. Nothing beats the microwave for taste, moisture content, and simplicity. I have an inverter big enough to power a small microwave but I never have traveled with that. If you do end up grilling your corn and need to find a way to keep it hot while you're grilling your other stuff, what works really great and doesn't take up much room in your vehicle, is to throw your grilled corn (I'm assuming it's still in the husk) in a double grocery bag and roll it up tight. It will still be too hot to eat when your meat is done. check this guy out. I don't nuke mine as long as he does but this works slick:

The best grilled chicken wings I ever had came out of a rotisserie basket. I don't know what happens there, the guy told me he thinks it's the tumbling with the hot oil that makes them turn out so good. It's the only reason I ever think about getting a rotisserie.

I've talked to every color of person about barbecuing but the guys who always seemed to know the most tips, tricks, secrets, and knowledge, were the old black guys. As a group, those guys always seemed to know what they were talking about and have the confidence to not feel the need to prove anything like a lot of young white guys do (I'm white.) I've even asked a lot of those guys why they thought a cultural difference exists in the barbecue area and I found that every person I talked to (of any skin color) seemed to have a theory about it but I never met anyone who was offended by the question. Mostly their (the old black guys) advice came down to some version of two things: lower the heat, and add some kind of sugar (honey, grape jelly, etc.) to the sauce.

One thing I've noticed is the different ideas about grilling across the country. In the north, we grill hotter than our counterparts in the south as a rule. Also, down south in many areas, if you say the word barbecue, people will assume you mean brisket. Up north, there are a lot of stores that don't even sell brisket and most people don't know what it is. Speaking of knowing what it is, here's an interesting thing to do: The next time someone is going on and on about the ribs they had at some restaurant, put your "dumb face" on and ask in the most serious way possible "Were those beef ribs or pork ribs?" It is truly amazing how many people don't know. Truly. Amazing! Try it. You will be amazed.

I started out looking for torque specs for the cam thrust plate on the 4.0, and now I've gone off about grilling, eating on the road, black and white cultural differences, etc. Wow. ADD is my constant companion.

Doug
doug dornbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #26
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

That's quite a bit of good info! I usually try to do the low and slow method of cooking. Also, I tried the above trick you posted on how to shuck corn easily - we were all impressed at how well that works!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #27
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Corn on the Cob

This 'recipe' is a pretty simple one. I've done it a couple times now and have found it works pretty well.

What you need:
Corn on the Cob (unshucked)
Sugar

First off, dump a pile of sugar in a bowl, pan, kitchen sink, 55 gal barrel, etc. (size correlates with amount of corn). The amount of sugar used isn't specific. This is how much I used for 4 ears of corn:

Eyeball it.

Next, add water and mix up the sugar. Place the corn in the sugar water and top off the water so the corn is submersed. Let sit for 30 minutes - 2 hours.

Heat up grill.

Place corn on grill.

Grill.

Haha. I feel this is almost too easy to even bother posting. But anyways, I put my burners on low and turned the corn every 10 or 15 minutes. You want to evenly cook the corn. I call it 'done' when the outside layer of husk is charring. This picture is midway through the process.

And a picture off the grill. I MAY have cooked this first batch a bit too long. They tasted great but the second time I did it, I didn't blacken the husk as much...:

Once shucked, I spread butter, salt, and pepper over the corn. Excellent!

Very simple. Very cheap. Excellent veggie for grilling. I would rate this on my Chris Hager scale at an 8. Give 'em a try! Also, watch the YouTube video a few posts up - very easy way to shuck corn!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #28
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Grilled Crab Bites

Yep, you read that correctly. Here's the story:

My fiance and I were trying to decide what to eat on Memorial Day. I wanted to do some shrimp along with some meat and veggies. Well, I wasn't feeling tip top come Monday since my bachelor party was that weekend. I ran into the market to grab the food and couldn't find fresh shrimp. Call it the mood I was in, the tiredness, or the longing to get out of public and kick back on the pool deck, whatever you want - either way, I had no shrimp and I wanted to grill some seafood. Then, to my wondering eyes, I saw fresh Crab bits. Bingo... Check out. Jeep. Home.

So, I then realized this might be a crazy adventure, but why not? I made this simple and didn't get my hopes up. Here's how I did it.

What you need:
Crab Bits
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Foil

Since I've built you up with a background story, why not finish it the way my mind was working that day. It may not be pretty but here's a reenactment.

Step 1. Where's my Bloody Mary?

Step B. Tear off some foil - just big enough so when you are done, you wonder "is that enough foil??".

Step 3. Dump all the crab onto the foil.

Step 4. Ponder over how much butter to put on it, then decide a half a stick should do it.

Step 5. Take a sip of Bloody Mary before chopping the butter into pads over the crab.

Step F. Salt... Pepper... Yeah that sounds good.

TaDaa!

Now fold that foil together and think "Damn, I should have used a bigger piece of foil"...

Plop that sucker on the grill. Cook time: 2 Coronas.

Now, if you've kept up with the Bloody Mary's and Coronas, what your going to want to do is remove the foil wrapped crab with your bare hands. I don't recommend this but if you are skillful, you can do it - grab the foil where you crimped it and move quick!

Let these babies cool for a bit - 20 seconds - and feast.

Perhaps I lucked out. Perhaps I'm magical when it comes to grilling. Perhaps it was both of the above in combination with a couple Memorial Day drinks. Either way, these things turned out fantastic. It's very simple, doesn't take long, and can be a nice, rich, appetizer/side for a grilling afternoon (would be great on a Surf and Turf grill day). I'm giving it a 9.

P.S. As a disclaimer, I feel I should say something along the lines of "I'm not encouraging the consumption of alcohol, grabbing hot things with bare hands, scarfing food that's probably still boiling in butter, etc." This was a reenactment of my day. You can do it differently. Alcohol is not a necessary ingredient of Crab Bites. Follow exact recipe at your own risk. Etc.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #29
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Well, there are a couple simple recipes to keep you all on your grilling game. Sorry it wasn't much this last weekend or two - we've been quite busy with the wedding preparations and such.

Speaking of which, my wedding is Saturday! Wait 'till you see what I've got for the main course... I imagine it will surprise quite a bit of you (Hint: It's more than worthy of the ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread)!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #30
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

This thread is fantastic!!!!!!! Thanks so much for the ideas. The Brats and crab are on the menu for tomorrow night.

PS Congrats on your upcoming Wedding!!!!!! I hope you post some pics of what was on the menu for the big day after you settle in.
Amadauss is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.