ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #256
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Random thought maybe .

How does the old saying about your dog go ?

"His bark, is worse than his bite "

Well, they weren't talking Q were they .

Just say'n .

phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #257
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Since it has been a while since I've posted, I figured I'd throw a couple pictures up from last week - the wife and I grilled up some steak! I haven't smoked anything in quite a while but hope to get back to it soon. Things have just been crazy lately which has kept me from grilling! On top of being busy, we tore out the pool and deck so I've temporarily lost my cooking area!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #258
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, damn. Now I *really* want a steak.....

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #259
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

My favorite! You can't get a better steak than what you grille at home.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #260
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

These were from my fresh beef stock pile too!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #261
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Chris, what do you recommend for steaks? All you have access to, on a budget, is grocery store steaks. I usually do a montreal spice, which is pretty good.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #262
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I usually do my steaks one of two ways:

1. I season with only salt and pepper right as I'm putting them on the charcoal grill. Cook medium to medium rare, remove from grill, and let sit for 5 minutes. The minimal seasoning allows you to taste the steak. I like this way because it is simple and the steak turns out well.

2. Stuffed Steak - I can't believe I don't have this recipe up. I'll type what I remember but adapt this post when I post pictures.

The original recipe called for an inch or two thick steak(s). I tried this but not only is it expensive, you have to cook the steak at a very low heat to cook all the way through. Since an hour or more cook time for a steak is a pain, I go for thinner steaks.

OK, first step is fry up a pound or so of bacon. While the bacon is cooking away, sauté some diced up onions and garlic in another pan. I think I use 1 large onion and maybe 3ish cloves of garlic (we love garlic). Once this is all cooked up, crumble the bacon into a mixing bowl, add the cooked onion and garlic, and crumble in some feta cheese. Mix this all together.

Next, butterfly the steak, add a bit of salt and pepper to said steak, then cram in the stuffing from above. Depending on how this step goes, you may decide to pinch the steak closed and hold it together with some soaked toothpicks. Once everything is put together, throw the steak on the grill. You'll probably have to cook the steaks at a little lower heat since they're still so thick. Be sure to flip them as well.

Once they're done, let them rest for a few and enjoy. I find the stuffing that falls out makes for a nice topping!

Now, this recipe takes a bit longer to prepare but is well worth it. ReJeana isn't a huge meat eater but she loves when I cook this. I will say, these are very rich. The bacon along with the feta cheese will fill you up fast. When we first tried this recipe, I bought some massive steaks. We had a ton of leftovers between the two of us. The second time around, I went with thinner steaks and still had about half left. What I've found is, you'll probably only eat half as much as you think.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #263
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

I stuck with #1, turned out pretty well. I am still working out how much heat and time on the grille for the steak. I am working off of a mini Coleman campfire grille. Gets the job done but, far from ideal in heat distribution!
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #264
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Michael, I'm disappointed you didn't share pictures with the group... Haha!

I assume the Coleman is one of the little propane type grills? What I like to do is have a hot spot to sear the steak then a cooler area to slow cook through the middle. Maybe try with high heat first then knock it down a little after you've seared the outside.

To be honest, I feel I'm still learning how much time to cook things on the grill. It's an acquired skill. It's especially hard when it's dark outside.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #265
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

All this stuff looks great Chris. I am going to start with the bacon wrapped stuff brats. Keep the thread going and I will keep trying.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #266
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Good luck! Remember, the more you practice, the more awesome food you have to eat!

We're doing a pretty big smoke this weekend for our birthdays (I have a twin brother). Our younger brother is coming into town. The two of us are loading up my UDS into the J-10 and heading over to my twin brother's house to smoke pork butts. Said twin is smoking a couple racks of ribs in his offset smoker. Ironically, just a touch over a year ago, the three of us did almost the same thing to break in my freshly build UDS: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f365/...l#post14309031

I guess we will have to make this a yearly tradition! I'll take plenty of pictures.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #267
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Sounds like fun and have a Happy Birthday .

Take pictures please .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #268
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Chris. They were great.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
Unread 10-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #269
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Sounds like fun and have a Happy Birthday .

Take pictures please .
Thanks! I will definitely take pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post

Thanks Chris. They were great.
They look awesome! Great job not burning the bacon. I still fight flareups occasionally. You really have to keep an eye on bacon!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #270
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Thanks! I will definitely take pictures!

They look awesome! Great job not burning the bacon. I still fight flareups occasionally. You really have to keep an eye on bacon!
Yeah. I had to use the oven instead of the open flame due to weather here.... But next time will be flame so I can char the bun. I didn't use the peppers but everything else was awesome.

I cooked the bacon for 25-30 minutes in oven @ 400 degrees.

I wasn't sure about the pickle at first but glad once the first bite happened.

I will be trying another receipt hopefully next week. Do you have anything that is campfire friendly? I don't mind prepping it all at the house but it would have to last a couple hours in the ice chest before getting to the camp.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.