ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #211
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ooooo now that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that!

You earned a high five.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #212
timberwolf0122
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thx. I used to give the guy on the shop floor $5/$10 anyway, not bad for a jeep-load of hard wood, especially when a little baggie of wood chips costs $3-$5.

Also check out the fire wood in homedepot/lowes quite often it will list the wood in the pack, you can get an arm full of hickory quite cheap.
Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
MacGyver Club Member #1
Doctor Who has died 10 times, is on his 11th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
I think he's calling his Jeep "Tardis," which is British slang for pimp mobile. - Dangfoo
timberwolf0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #213
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Where do you get your pecan wood? I haven't looked hard for any but I haven't come across any pecan trees lately... Well, ever really.

I did luck out and received a cherry log in a batch of 'mutt' wood that I ended up cutting into wafers. I have to wait a year before I can use it though.

I'm also on the look out for an apple tree that needs to come down. Buying apple chunks in a bag is expensive!
Yea I pay for the bags.
Farm and Fleet carries the Weber bags that have chunks of wood in them.
I believe Menards do too.
We do have a few cabnet making shops in the area. Maybe I should check them out!
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #214
FedUp007
2004 WJ 

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuubscribed!!! Thanks ChrisHager! Can't wait to try some of these!!!
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #215
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Ohhh I have exciting news I almost forgot about! A coworker of my wife offered us a 1/4 cow. The cows they butchered turned out to be much bigger than they expected causing our 1/4 of beef to weight out at 177 pounds! The cows were farm fed corn, bread, etc. with no additives or hormones - prime beef!

Anyway, we will have it all Saturday. I'm not sure if I'll get around to it this weekend but I'm seeing some grilling in the very near future! I've really been wanting a nice steak lately...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #216
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #217
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Good deal. That's how I grew up - we raised and slaughtered 2-3 cows a year. Kept a 1/2 and sold the rest to friends to offset the cost of raising the cows. That's the most amazing beef you can get. Sadly, it's been at least 10 years since the family had a cow.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #218
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

This is the first time I've ever received 'home grown' livestock. We're starting to get to the point where we have more opportunity for bulk meat - beef, pork, deer, other wild game, etc. It's quite nice being able to stock a freezer with non-processed meat at a lower price.

Oh, and farm fresh eggs are great too! Some very close friends of ours has a little chicken coop!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #219
heretolearn
2002 WJ 

I need to make friends like that near Dekalb.
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #220
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It's been a long time since I've posted in here so I thought I'd stop in. With the weather getting nice, I'll hopefully get the grill fired up with some new recipes!

I will say, we've grilled up some of the fresh cow - burgers and t-bones so far. The t-bone steaks were so tender you could 'pull' the meat apart with your fork.

I also smoked up 8 pounds of pork Friday night/Saturday morning following the Chris Lilly recipe. Naturally, we were rushing to get it on and I forgot to take pictures of the process. I did snap a pic when I was pulling it though. I think this was my best yet!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #221
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just ordered a Big Pappa UDS kit! Time to burn out some barrels and try out some of these recipes!

Unread 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #222
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Heck yeah! Honestly, the Big Pappa kit is reasonable in price. I probably spent close to that much assembling all of my parts. Worse yet, it took a ton of time finding everything I needed. On top of that, anything galvanized needed heated up red hot and brushed with a wire brush. The kit above will save so much time!

I wish I had another barrel or two. The baby will be here soon which means I'll have a LOT of time spent hanging around the house (I get quite a bit of time off work). I'd love to get a couple things wrapped up on the jeep and start another UDS build! I have an idea for a new one I'd like to try.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #223
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
I wish I had another barrel or two. The baby will be here soon which means I'll have a LOT of time spent hanging around the house (I get quite a bit of time off work). I'd love to get a couple things wrapped up on the jeep and start another UDS build! I have an idea for a new one I'd like to try.
Yeah, I'm in Houston/Galveston area, so there are tons of oil barrels everywhere to be picked up for $15 or so.

Weekends before were always for backpacking and adventures, but now with the new house and a kid possibly on the way, I figure I'll be spending a bit more time around the house and garage, so I figure I'll try and keep something smoking in the background while working!

Any thoughts on prepping the barrel or general build tips?

Unread 05-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #224
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I have some friends in the agricultural business I need to talk to and see if they have some oil drums laying around. I'm getting the itch to build again!

Per prepping the barrel - if you have an unlined barrel, I'd drill the air holes then start a super hot fire in it. That will help sanitize everything. If you can't burn a fire, invest in a weed burner. They are fairly inexpensive and will get the drum red hot. Once you've heated it up nicely, wash it out a few times with dish soap or laundry detergent. If you're still unsure of it's cleanliness, fire up the weed burner once more.

If you have a lined barrel, the same steps as above will assist in removing the liner. Odds are, though, you'll have to crawl inside with a grinder. Ultimately, you want shiny metal on the inside. Once it's shiny, wash it out. Hit it with the weed burner again for good measure if you'd like.

After you've washed and dried your barrel, grab a can of Pam cooking spray and coat the entire interior. This will keep it from rusting.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #225
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Smoked Ribs

Since I had the last few weeks off, I was able to do some grilling/smoking! This was the first time I smoked ribs.

What you need:

Ribs
Mustard
Rub (I used Uncle Joe's Rub Down)

I started with a rack of St. Louis style ribs. I pealed off what was remaining of the membrane on the back of the ribs.

This isn't the cleanest trim job but you can see in the following picture the membrane has been removed compared to the picture above.

Then I slathered on some mustard. The mustard helps the rub stick to the ribs. Canola oil can be used as well if you don't like mustard. I will say, my wife hates mustard yet couldn't tell I used it in this recipe.

Next comes the rub.

Sprinkle it on pretty thick and pat it down.

That's it! Throw it on the smoker at about 275F.

I cooked mine for about 3 hours then wrapped it in foil for the last hour-ish. Ribs are done when you can lift them off the smoker from one end and the other end drops down about 90. You'll want the meat to tear away from the bone when you do the bend test. Many like the meat to fall off the bone but once you've hit this point, you've technically over cooked it.

I'm giving these an 8/10. They tasted great (I ate the entire rack), were easy to prep, fun to cook, and didn't take 13 hours to have them ready to eat! Sometimes simple is better!

Oh and as an aside, the last two pictures show the fatty I cooked with the ribs.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.