ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 10-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #151
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, if used properly, you can cut them just right so that the groove is open for the length of the brat, but kinda closed on each end, so I guess it resembles a... Canoe maybe? It virtually eliminates the chance of cheese melting out... I've used it once already, and it worked GREAT!

[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #152
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
Yes, if used properly, you can cut them just right so that the groove is open for the length of the brat, but kinda closed on each end, so I guess it resembles a... Canoe maybe? It virtually eliminates the chance of cheese melting out... I've used it once already, and it worked GREAT!
I made the stuff brats the other day and had the same problem with the cheese melting out of them.
I used pepper cheese and did do the canoe thing, boiled the brats in beer a 1/2 hour before putting them in the smoker.
Cooked them in my smoker for a hour or so. Do you think cooking them slower and at a lower temp just boiled the cheese out?
They were still good but it would have been better with the cheese.
Maybe I will do it next time with cheese brats or a higher temp and less time.
Unread 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #153
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
I made the stuff brats the other day and had the same problem with the cheese melting out of them.
I used pepper cheese and did do the canoe thing, boiled the brats in beer a 1/2 hour before putting them in the smoker.
Cooked them in my smoker for a hour or so. Do you think cooking them slower and at a lower temp just boiled the cheese out?
They were still good but it would have been better with the cheese.
Maybe I will do it next time with cheese brats or a higher temp and less time.
Average cook time for me is ~ 45-60 minutes. This last time I did the "canoe" thing, and used "Hoffmans" brand cheese (~$9 per pound) and wrapped 2 strips of bacon on each brat, as tight as I could without it ripping, and it ended up grilling the cheese til it was actually kinda crispy around the edges. Barely melted out at all. Used extra thick bacon from the butcher shop too. Worked great!
[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #154
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager
I usually don't add a ton of salt to things unless it's pizza... In that case, I load on the garlic salt. I kind of follow the above though. Try what sounds good and adjust for future cookings. I think that's the first time I've ever seasoned hot dogs honestly. Much of the reason the salt was added was because of the garlic. I'm kind of addicted to garlic. The salt happened to come along with it in this instance.
I understand now. So in my case, instead of garlic salt, garlic powder would be more advisable.
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #155
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Yup! That would be more advisable to most people actually. Salt is nice on occasion but can sure cause issues later on down the road. Like I said, it's rare for me to salt my food unless what I'm cooking actually needs a little salt to zing it up. I almost never salt my plate when it's feasting time.

It might be time I throw another healthy recipe in here. It's fun to go all out but for people who need to be careful with what they eat, well this thread kind of throws that to the wind. I do have a recipe that's hopefully going to make the list soon that definitely isn't healthy but after that, it might be time for some fish and/or another thing of fresh veggies. Anyone have healthy recipes they enjoy cooking/grilling? I'd be glad to give a few a try. My belt would probably be thankful as well!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #156
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I didn't do a recipe on this as time was a little tight. My brother's girlfriend was out of town for the weekend and my wife was busy most of Saturday. My younger brother drove in for the weekend as well so we decided to cook food and enjoy the empty house at my brothers.

The weekend started with the two brothers rubbing and injecting a 5.5lb pork butt on Friday night. They wrapped it and let it sit in the fridge all night. I woke up about 6:15 to load the jeep and head over with my freshly built UDS. We fired it up as early as we could and threw on the pork along with a couple fatties:

I don't remember why my brother threw his natty on the grill for the picture... Maybe size reference. Too bad he couldn't have picked a beer worth drinking...

While the fatties were being prepped, I cooked up 4 chicken breasts on a little gas grill he had. Here's the lineup for the day:

The pork turned out great, the fatties were amazing, and the chicken breasts went into a double batch of BBQ Chicken Dip. All in all, it was an awesome 'dude day'. The only 'work' we did besides food prep was hanging a surround sound system in what I'm probably going to call his theater room. Here's his TV (I think it's 120"). While they were playing Trials, I snapped a pic. My boots are a decent size reference for this bad boy.

I think we are going over there to watch the game on Thursday. Maybe I'll whip some appetizers up on his offset smoker...

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #157
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Recommend stuffed jalapenos on the smoker for appetizer

I like wings on grill. Much much better than fried, and more convenient.

Alternate cherry tomatos, thick purple onion petals, mushrooms, zuchinni, and bell pepper on a skewer. I prefer poblano's to bell pepper, but since they are softer, I am not sure how they would turn out. Marinate the whole thing in advance in your favorite marinade. A decent combination is your favorite italian dressing and worcestershire sauce. Top them off with coarse ground sea salt.

If you want something easy and don't mind cheating, pick up a box of the frozen texas toast garlic bread. The package gives instructions for a regular oven and a toaster oven. Forget that, as this is manly cooking. Put them right on the grill for a few minutes per side.

Make two slices on a potato about 3/4 way through (one long ways, one sideways), then open up the potato some, in quadrants, but not all the way. Fill with butter and roasted garlic. Rub outside with a little butter and coarse ground sea salt. Wrap in foil. Place on grill in a position for indirect heat, or if you have an elevated section of your grill, that will work too, as it isn't critical.

Smoked chicken leg quarters are cheap and delicious. You can often get a ten pound bag of them around here for twenty seven cents per pound. Score bonus points if you wrap them in bacon. For extra flavor, Place a slice of onion (with all the inner rings intact, not separated) between the meat and the skin of the thigh. Shove finely chopped roasted garlic between the skin of the drumstick and the meat. You can do the same on the thigh portion.

See, I'm not trying to turn this into health fest. I just was perplexed about taking something excessively salty and adding salt to it as all. I will admit I had to go to a clinic last night due to severe sinus and ear problems for which I had been taking mucinex. The doctor fussed at me for that because my blood pressure was 177/100 despite being on high blood pressure medication.

What kind of hot dogs do you use? I usually don't eat hot dogs, but made some a couple of months ago and I went with Nathan's. They were pretty good and much better than main stream brands like Oscar Mayer.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #158
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'm not pointing fingers! I truthfully do want to cook some healthy grillings for options for those who need it. Honestly, I need to start watching it a little. My pants aren't fitting as well as they did around the time of my wedding...

Those are some awesome ideas as well. I'm going to send them to my brother and have him pick out his favorite for Thursday. The jalapeno poppers will probably be a must. I love them!

Depending on what I have going on depends on what type of hot dogs I get. I recently grabbed the cheap stuff since I was covering them in chili. Many times I'll go with Johnsonville or whatever looks good. When it comes to brats, I try to get the non-mainstream type. They are usually cheaper and better. There's a little market in the tiny town I grew up in about 20 minutes from here that makes their own brats. Apparently, these brats are becoming world know. People will actually make it a stop on their vacation 'to-do' list when they are visiting from overseas.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #159
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I have tried most brands of dogs and these are my go to dawg.

They have just the right amount of heat that I look for .

Try them guys and you may love them too.

http://www.hillshirefarm.com/product...hot-links.aspx
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #160
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My wife does the canoe thing and puts chopped jalapeņos, onions, inside then shredded Colby on top, then bake, ==pretty great
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #161
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I have tried most brands of dogs and these are my go to dawg.

They have just the right amount of heat that I look for .

Try them guys and you may love them too.

http://www.hillshirefarm.com/product...hot-links.aspx
Nathan's hot dogs > *

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #162
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

To each their own and I tried Nathan's Famous but I like the 'Shires better.

Try the hot links if you haven't before .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #163
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
If you want something easy and don't mind cheating, pick up a box of the frozen texas toast garlic bread. The package gives instructions for a regular oven and a toaster oven. Forget that, as this is manly cooking. Put them right on the grill for a few minutes per side.
I forgot to mention, I got a kick out of that. Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
I'll definitely give these a try. They sound good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
Nathan's hot dogs > *
I've never heard of Nathan's (or maybe I haven't been paying attention). If I see them, I'll give 'em a try!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #164
1Badboy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another twist to brats/ hot dogs/ keilbosa
Cook meat on grill
In a frying pan, can of pork n beans any brand you like. Add cooked diced potatoes ( fast way is to dice and microwave with some water, or grill pototoes). Green peppers grilled, chop meat into bite size peices, and put into frying pan. Add your favorite bbq sauce, salt pepper to taste. Place on hoogie rolls. Makes excellent sandwich's...for a one pan deal.
1Badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #165
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Now that sounds really good! If I didn't have a pork butt planned for this weekend, I'd be trying that... Depending on how the wood cutting goes, I might be able to squeeze it in for lunch!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.