ChrisHager's Grilled Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > ChrisHager's Grilled Thread

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #136
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

....I love this thread so much, ha ha.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #137
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I tried my hand at cooking a whole chicken. Never done it before. However it wasn't on the grill, but I'll share the recipe anyways.
You need:
1 large whole chicken
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
~10 cloves of garlic (that's what I used, I love garlic)
2 lemons,
2 shallots
Dill
Black pepper

Mix the water, soy, and brown sugar together, dissolving the brown sugar. The water was strictly to dilute the soy. I didn't want it too salty.
Cut up a shallot, and about 5 cloves of garlic, and put it in the bottom of the baking pan. Holding the chicken over the pan, I covered it inside and out with the brown sugar/ soy mix, allowing the excess to go in the pan. Take 1 whole lemon, skin and all, and roll it on the cutting board, pressing enough force to soften it up a bit. Stab it with a fork, about 10 times, all around it, and put it inside the cavity of the chicken. Throw in the remaining garlic, and chopped shallot. Place the chicken in the pan, breast side DOWN, and cut the other lemon in half, and throw it in the pan with the chicken. Sprinkle some dill and black pepper on the chicken. Pre heat oven to 325, and throw the chicken in there, covered. The purpose of cooking breast side down is so that all the juices from the chicken flow towards the breast meat, instead of away, and so they also soak in your liquid at the bottom of the pan... I cooked it til internal temp was about 155, then took the lid off and let it cook longer til it was a nice golden brown color.

When removing from the oven, I let it stand for about 5 minutes, then flipped it to its back, quartered it, and ate it...

7/10 if you ask me... Coulda used more sugar/soy mix with less water. Other than that, delicious. Would have grilled it, but it wouldn't fit on my tiny grill.
image-406639530.jpg  
[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #138
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
....I love this thread so much, ha ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
I tried my hand at cooking a whole chicken. Never done it before. However it wasn't on the grill, but I'll share the recipe anyways.
Looks good. I need to try this out. Clever idea with the breast facing downward and in the marinade!

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #139
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I might try one of these recipes tonight! Grilling for me and the girlfriend for the Bears game. Making my mouth water just looking at these pictures.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #140
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Chili Dogs

I've been craving chili lately but haven't had an opportunity to make a big pot. Instead, I whipped up some chili dogs. I almost don't feel it's necessary to write a recipe considering everyone should know how to build a good chili dog but where's the fun in that?!

Items:
Chili
Hot Dogs
Buns
Cheese

Not necessary but good extras:
Pepper
Season Salt
Spicy Garlic

First of all, we coated the dogs in a nice dusting of Season Salt, Spicy Garlic, and Pepper.

Next, throw 'em on the grill along side of a can of chili - label removed and lid partially open. I used hot chili. I had my little charcoal/smoke box filled up and directly below the dogs for a little added flavor.

When they are about done, throw the buns on to heat/crisp them up.

Dog in bun, chili, then cheese (dogs were plenty done but very good):

And that's it. 10/10 - It's a chili dog. Of course it's 10/10. I ate these for lunch and dinner yesterday and I want more now! Haha.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Quote:
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
Unread 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #141
kodiakwj
2003 WJ 

We do these like once a week during the summer. We usually do chilli, and coleslaw on top. It's really good.
kodiakwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #142
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Coleslaw... Interesting...

It dawned on me I have a new recipe to introduce to the forum. Not sure when I'll get around to it but it's on the top of the list, is simple, and may blow some minds.

In other news, my brother's girlfriend is out of town this weekend and my other brother is coming in for the weekend. We are going to chill all day Saturday and cook/eat Buffalo Chicken Dip, Smoked Fatties (similar to the recipe above), and maybe a Smoked Pork Butt/Shoulder or Brisket (one or the other). I should have my UDS finished by Saturday which would be a great break in!

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #143
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So, Chris, I found a nifty little tool for fixin the brats.... It cuts the perfect groove!

EDIT: I forget to mention, I had to go to a craft store to find it, it the modeling clay section...
image-1805266090.jpg  

Unread 10-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #144
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Hot dogs already contain a ridiculous amount of sodium and you are adding salt to them?
Unread 10-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #145
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
Hot dogs already contain a ridiculous amount of sodium and you are adding salt to them?
No offense, but it doesn't exactly say ChrisHagers HEALTHY BBQ and Grilling thread lol

Unread 10-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #146
heretolearn
2002 WJ 

This is my favorite jeepforum thread. Haha
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #147
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw

No offense, but it doesn't exactly say ChrisHagers HEALTHY BBQ and Grilling thread lol
I know, but when something is notoriously salty then additional salt is added on top of that, it makes me wonder what the hell. Health considerations aside, it seems like it would be too salty in terms of taste.
Unread 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #148
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot

I know, but when something is notoriously salty then additional salt is added on top of that, it makes me wonder what the hell. Health considerations aside, it seems like it would be too salty in terms of taste.
Actually, IMHO grilling gets rid of a lot of the saltiness. Replaces it with that... Well... Grilled flavor instead! But, everyone is different. I say, don't knock it til you try it at least!

Unread 10-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #149
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I usually don't add a ton of salt to things unless it's pizza... In that case, I load on the garlic salt. I kind of follow the above though. Try what sounds good and adjust for future cookings. I think that's the first time I've ever seasoned hot dogs honestly. Much of the reason the salt was added was because of the garlic. I'm kind of addicted to garlic. The salt happened to come along with it in this instance.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #150
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
So, Chris, I found a nifty little tool for fixin the brats.... It cuts the perfect groove!

EDIT: I forget to mention, I had to go to a craft store to find it, it the modeling clay section...
Now that's a neat idea!! I 'butterfly' mine right now but I bet that makes the job a lot easier.

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.