cat fish - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > cat fish

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

cat fish

anyone have low fat recipes for cat fish?

pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you are looking for a recipe for catfish that doesn't involve breading and frying, we would just be inventing one. But, if I had to do it, I would roll it in Cajun seasoning and grill it on charcoal. It would be sacrilegious but that would be the way.

Who is worried about fat these days? The cholesterol thing has been proved wrong, carbs are what makes you fat, so what is the problem?
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

tell my wife that!.
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

You could smoke it low and slow .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

frying is low fat, if you do it right. The oil does not saturate the food unless your temp is too low.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
tell my wife that!.
Well, let me help you with that.

The ladies think that it is the ingredients in food that puts on the pounds. They are taught that from all directions because it is what sells things. They learn it at an early age. There is nothing we can do about that. Let the ladies believe it because there is no changing their fear of butter, lard, even vegetable oils.

However, we know that the problem is never the ingredients. It is knowing when to push back from the table. But, let's not start a fight with the ladies over that. They will never believe it and never change. All we can do is lie to them about the inredients. And, I agree that it is hard to conceal a deep fried entree. So, spread soft butter on the fish, roll it in Cajun, and pop it on the grill. And, hide the butter dish.
Unread 02-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #7
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

came out excellent wilson, cooked it up for myself while wifey was out. salt pepper oil, garlic bread crumbs dash of hot sauce and old bay cooked on the weber with a CI griddle.
Unread 02-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You know, I should really revisit cat fish. I have it out but rarely cook it myself. We get really good Walleye here and that seems to compete with catfish. I ave salmon at least twice each week, usually stir fry. But, catfish is going back on the menu.
Unread 02-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

The first thing that I think of when I hear Catfish is Catfish Stew .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
cojab
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
You know, I should really revisit cat fish. I have it out but rarely cook it myself. We get really good Walleye here and that seems to compete with catfish. I ave salmon at least twice each week, usually stir fry. But, catfish is going back on the menu.
Oh I love me some walleye. Better than catfish in fact. That or some bluegill are about my favorites.
Breaded and fried of course.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #11
cheftrail

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
frying is low fat, if you do it right. The oil does not saturate the food unless your temp is too low.
Sorry man, but that is false. Oil saturation is inevitable, and if you're worried about cholesterol forget about the type of oil, or if it's fried or grilled. Cholesterol is only bad if its oxidized in your arteries, and this can happen in many different ways (maybe a new thread). You can cook the same piece of catfish (Mississippi is the only way to go) en Confit, or at 365 degrees and you would have the exact same rate of saturation.
Unread 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
You are quite correct about that:

Browning is quick and thorough because the hot liquid fat delivers heat to even the smallest crevices on a food's surface. In the initial moments of frying, as the surface dehydrates, it forms a crust that inhibits further oil absorption, while continuing to conduct heat to the interior of the food, where the heat causes starches to gelatinize (as in french fries), proteins to denature (in fried chicken), and fibers to soften (in fried zucchini).

Maintaining the correct oil temperature is key to frying. If the temperature drops too low, the crust forms slowly, allowing the food to absorb more fat and become greasy. If the oil gets too hot, the food burns on the surface before it cooks through.

http://www.finecooking.com/item/4832...ence-of-frying
Unread 02-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
cheftrail

2005 TJ Wrangler 

A wise man one said if you're going to eat crap don't suck it through a diaper! I think he meant deep fried food is bad, but eat it anyway, just not every meal, every day! You can lighten the trans fat with rice bran oil but personally I would rather eat one order of pommes frit fried in duck fat once a month that fast food fries everyday!
Unread 02-23-2015, 06:20 PM   #14
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This really didn't have anything to do with the type of fat. It was whether more fat is absorbed by the breading at a lower temperature, which it is.
Unread 02-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #15
cheftrail

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This really didn't have anything to do with the type of fat. It was whether more fat is absorbed by the breading at a lower temperature, which it is.
Yeah, I gatcha' breading is the factor when it comes to temperature, but cooking in oil doesn't always include breading and high temps. Have any of you giys played around with Tempura batter?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.