Cast iron frying pan . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Cast iron frying pan .

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Grand Cherokee Tie Rods & Adjusting Sleeves

Unread 05-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Cast iron frying pan .

While this area is called BBQ & Grilling, I tend to think of this as BBQ, Grilling and Cooking .

There are times when I want to sear meat in cast iron on the stove and then put the meat on the smoker or just cook it on cast iron .

That said I have not used my 10 1/4 inch Lodge CI pan in a while and while it has no rust on the bottom of the pan there are a half a dozen small slightly rusty areas on the inside edges of the pan .

Should I just wire brush the small spots that it has with my drill bit with the brass brush and/or with some steel wool and then oil the areas and bake it in ?

I think so .

phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Hashbrown
Blissfully Unaware

1980 CJ7 

Depends on the rust phit, try the salt and paper towel. If that doesn't cut it break out the wire brush.
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

it is very slight surface rust and I was thinking steel wool on the spots and reseasoning the whole pan then putting it in the oven for an hour or so at 350 to 450 degrees or so afterwards .

I have read that white vinegar works pretty good on the rust too .

I will try the salt and oil first so thank you very much Hash .

As I have said, I have done quite a few old cast iron pieces but never just small spots before .
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Another question please if anyone knows .

What oil would be the best oil to use to season cast iron ?

I have read bacon grease, flaxseed oil, vegtable oil, canola oil, crisco, lard, peanut oil, EVOO, etc.

The best oil in my book would be the one with the highest smoking point for seasoning .

I am leaning towards bacon grease as that is what we have used down South for a very, very long time but I don't know .
Unread 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
Locutus
1999 WJ 

440 F: Peanut Oil†
: Sunflower Oil†
450 F: Corn Oil, Refined
: High-Oleic Sunflower Oil,
Refined
: Peanut Oil, Refined
(Good Eats)
: Safflower Oil, Ref.
(Good Eats)
: Sesame Oil, Semi-Refined
: Soy Oil, Refined
: Sunflower Oil, Semi-Refined
460 F: Olive Pomace Oil**
468 F: Olive Oil, Extra Light*
485 F: Grapeseed Oil**
495 F: Soy Bean Oil?
500's
510 F: Safflower Oil†
520 F: Avocado Oil, Refined
Unread 05-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Thanks Locutus, I spent about a hour doing the prep. this morning and went with what I had at hand grease wise .

After some research I decided to go with bacon grease and not EVOO .

I have had it in the oven at more than 350 and less than 400 the last hour or so .

I will recoat it and do it another two times before the day is over after letting it slowly cool each time .

The cooking surface looks a tad blotchy for now and I will report back later today after a few more coats and bakes .

The last time I did this pan I use 1 coat of vegtable oil and it came out like a champ .

I may go with my Pompeian Imported EVOO for the next coat or two depending on how the mood suits me .

Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks again for your imput .
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Locutus
1999 WJ 

i use avocado oil for seasoning only. I cook in bacon grease mostly.I will use EVOO in certain situations. i save it all. if you run it thru a coffee filter a few times to get out all the debris, it won't need refrigeration

FYI when you get rust again use a brillo pad and water to remove. hand dry and put in a 500 degree oven to dry completely. the heat will open any pores in the pan. Remove and coat with oil and put it back in for an hour. after an hour shut off the oven, leaving the pan in till its cool [the oven]
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have seasoned many cast iron pans over the years using various methods and it always seems to turn out about the same. But, you never really get the good shiny non stick base until you just plain use it a lot. I have my one main pan which has about 50 years of seasoning and works better than Teflon. I also have a couple others that I use on the grill, over a fire camping and generally mistreat. Those work pretty well but they get scorched once in a while so I can never get them to stay just right.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

First, never use olive oil. Only Crisco, peanut or lard.

I have seen Lodge pans dug up from the dirt and restored to perfect. A Lodge pan can always be restored to good working condition. And it sounds as though your pan can use a ground up restoration. Remove everything on the inside (bottom and sides) with steel wool starting with 0 and then go to 0000. Ignore the outside unless the rust bothers you, then brush it off with a stiff brush.

Wash and dry, coat the inside lightly with Crisco or Crisco oil and in the oven at 450F for a couple of hours. Remove, wash with water, dry and repeat. And, as was said above, use it for everything until it has its nice seasoned glaze back.

BTW, for scorched on meat residue, use a flat steel spatula (no abrasives or soaps) and scrape if all off until flat. Then wash with water as usual, lightly coat with oil and off you go.
Unread 05-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Thanks for your input Wilson and I will do the next two seasoning today with the bacon grease instead of he OO, because as I said, I will go with what I have got at hand .

Bacon grease is not a real stretch, as far as lard, so far as I can tell at this point ?

The main reason my frying pan has rusted may well be because I have not used it for several years .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard
Unread 05-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Thanks for your input Wilson and I will do the next two seasoning today with the bacon grease instead of he OO, because as I said, I will go with what I have got at hand .

Bacon grease is not a real stretch, as far as lard, so far as I can tell at this point ?

The main reason my frying pan has rusted may well be because I have not used it for several years .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard
Bacon grease is every bit the same as lard for this purpose. It has a little smokey residue which will linger for only one use, so go ahead with the bacon grease.

For light surface rust, which I have gotton on some of my cast iron pans, I wet a paper towel with Pam and rub vigorously. But, if the rust feels like sandpaper you need to cut it down with steel wool. I don't use any soap on these pans, ever, even when reconditioning them. So, for me, Brillo and SOS are out.
Unread 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
So, for me, Brillo and SOS are out.
Ditto here Wilson, and old school Southern ( which I am ) or whatever says
just wipe it out using salt and oil with a paper towel or something to clean it up .

No kind of soap ever period .
Unread 05-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I forgot about salt. Good call on that.
Unread 05-24-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Ouch, note to myself, it is a very bad plan to try to shift the pan by the handle while curing it in the oven at 400 degrees .

My left index finger is not a very happy camper right now .

I just spanked my own a$$ again damn it .

Live and learn, sigh .
Unread 05-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #15
Tumbleweed01
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can also take a potato and cut it in half, use it with coarse or rocksalt. Grab potato by end, scrub salt into pan. Works well for light scrubbing. This is how the old chuckwagon cooks scrubbed their cast iron.
Tumbleweed01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.