9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 Old 05-12-2017, 06:55 AM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-gun View Post
One of my favorite out camping meals is turkey in a hole. Dig a hole in the ground a few feet deep throw in a bunch or coals wrap a turkey in foil twice and toss it in the hole throw in a bunch more coals and cover it up with dirt. After about 8 hours you will dig up a cooked turkey. Of course wet ground wont work.
sounds like a clam bake!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 05-15-2017, 12:17 PM
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-gun View Post
One of my favorite out camping meals is turkey in a hole. Dig a hole in the ground a few feet deep throw in a bunch or coals wrap a turkey in foil twice and toss it in the hole throw in a bunch more coals and cover it up with dirt. After about 8 hours you will dig up a cooked turkey. Of course wet ground wont work.
We gave that a try when I was in Scouts. We actually went the whole weekend without any pots or pans, and had a blast. You can cook an egg in a bell pepper next to the fire, all kinds of tin foil packet combos for the coals. I don't think our fire started off hot enough for the turkey - that was a late diner...

I really like salmon on those cedar planks, and that's pretty easy on the fire. Citric acid of your choice with fresh rosemary or your favorite herb. Soak the planks for as long as you can beforehand. Asparagus with garlic in tinfoil for a side.

If you can keep ice, homemade ice cream is always a crowd pleaser, and could occupy the young ones for a while.
Jeff88 likes this.
post #33 of 44 Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboat View Post
We gave that a try when I was in Scouts. We actually went the whole weekend without any pots or pans, and had a blast. You can cook an egg in a bell pepper next to the fire, all kinds of tin foil packet combos for the coals. I don't think our fire started off hot enough for the turkey - that was a late diner...

I really like salmon on those cedar planks, and that's pretty easy on the fire. Citric acid of your choice with fresh rosemary or your favorite herb. Soak the planks for as long as you can beforehand. Asparagus with garlic in tinfoil for a side.

If you can keep ice, homemade ice cream is always a crowd pleaser, and could occupy the young ones for a while.
Salmon on cedar planks, I do it all the time on the grill, on the fire, wherever there is a flame. Great idea. I have soaked planks overnight and for an hour, can never see a difference, just soak it an hour!

post #34 of 44 Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
Salmon on cedar planks, I do it all the time on the grill, on the fire, wherever there is a flame. Great idea. I have soaked planks overnight and for an hour, can never see a difference, just soak it an hour!
Haha!

We have the opposite approach. Salmon filet skin side down on tin foil. No Pam. No planks. When the salmon is plated the skin stays on the tin foil. Asparagus dipped in butter and rolled around in the flames on the grill, then steeped in its own juice and left over butter (squirt of lemon) in a dish while the salmon is finishing.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #35 of 44 Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Haha!

We have the opposite approach. Salmon filet skin side down on tin foil. No Pam. No planks. When the salmon is plated the skin stays on the tin foil. Asparagus dipped in butter and rolled around in the flames on the grill, then steeped in its own juice and left over butter (squirt of lemon) in a dish while the salmon is finishing.
I've done in your way too! IMO salmon is rarely bad, done in any way.
post #36 of 44 Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 AM
azzkicker
2007 WK 

Maybe not best for such a big group, unless you have more than one fire, but here's something I like to take camping. I've overcooked this stuff to the point you're picking burnt stuff off the tinfoil, and I've done it perfect, but both were delicious. This has the benefit of being able to prepare it at home a day or two ahead, then pack as many as you choose into a cooler, and you end up with individual meals in each foil pack so you can cook as many as you choose, when you want. They will take about 45 minutes to cook on a medium low grill, or placed between hot coals and hot rocks. On a fire, I ring the fire with rocks or wood to trap the heat, and put these in a ring around the hot coals. I turn the cold side out as often as I feel like, but never turn them upside down or all the juice will drain out and it will be dry.

Take sheets of heavy duty tinfoil (or quadruple layer regular stuff), and lay out rectangles about 18" by 24". Make one first and figure out the size you're after. I like to lay them out all over the kitchen and do as many as possible at one time. Choose a meat to put in each tinfoil. I use raw, but you could slightly cook them ahead to make it easier. Put one serving of meat in the center of each (1 chicken breast, 1 or 2 beer brats, a slice of pork loin, steak, etc.) I've used hot dogs before, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

Then slice onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, or anything else you think goes with your meat. I like to have about 1/2 the size of potato I would eat next to a steak. Grind some salt and pepper onto it, to taste. Sprinkle just a little water on the assembly, then carefully fold the tinfoil to try to make it as air tight as possible. Fold, don't roll, because you'll need to open it more than once to check progress. I flat fold several times along the long edge, then fold the ends up to complete the seal. If you're making different types of fillings, you can write on the tinfoil, but remember what you put where on the fire, because the writing will be gone by the time it's done. Sometimes I have kid packs on one side (no onions or jalapeno, and very little pepper) and adult packs on the other.

I've never tried freezing them ahead of cooking, but I imagine it would just add cook time, and would have the benefit of being clean and cold in the cooler.

These things always come out delicious, and usually the meat is very soft. Around the fire, they have the added benefit of smelling really good for about 30 minutes before they're done, so everybody is salivating by the time they get one.

07 WK 5.7 QD2, 4" lift, 33X10" tires, M8000s
ARB twin air,Dual AGM group 49, sliders and skids
post #37 of 44 Old 06-05-2017, 04:46 AM
Kade97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
Going camping in a few weeks for the first time in years. want to make a few meals over the campfire including one big dinner to feed a group of 12 or so.

anyone got any good tips or trips for some open fire cooking? i consider myself a well seasoned cook one the Grill both charcoal and propane but been a while since i have done the open fire thing.

I know the basics, i already plan on the typical corn on the Cob, some baked potatoes. gonna do Hobo meals one night but not sure what to make for the group main dish. Would love to do some good BBQ, something like ribs or pork roast but not sure how feasible that really is. Chicken is out, as someone else is making it one night to feed the group.

So what did you end up cooking?
post #38 of 44 Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade97 View Post
So what did you end up cooking?
Going this weekend actually.

Doing Chicken, Baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and grilled watermelon for dessert.

Still 100% plan on doing it all over the open campfire, despite the negativity in this thread. I'll either win spectacularly, or fail miserably. we will at least have corn and potatoes to eat, as those are simple to do on the fire.

1998 ZJ-- lowered a touch

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
post #39 of 44 Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

well, i think i need to cook over the fire a bit more. Ended up actually cooking two meals over the open fire.

Whole chicken breast, potatoes and corn. Turned out perfect.

2nd night was bone in pork chops. tender enough to cut with a plastic knife and juicy.

No fall back needed, Open fire cooking was a big win in the books.

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Fat Amy-1989 K5 blazer. Linked, lifted, 38.5's on won tons. Big Girls can play in the woods too.
post #40 of 44 Old 06-18-2017, 08:08 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I am glad that it turned out well for you and it sounds like y'all folks had a great time .

All's well that ends well right ?

Phitonit
post #41 of 44 Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How did that grilled watermelon turn out? I was think of trying the smoker on it. But, if it can be well grilled, that is all the better.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #42 of 44 Old 06-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Kade97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
well, i think i need to cook over the fire a bit more. Ended up actually cooking two meals over the open fire.

Whole chicken breast, potatoes and corn. Turned out perfect.

2nd night was bone in pork chops. tender enough to cut with a plastic knife and juicy.

No fall back needed, Open fire cooking was a big win in the books.

Did you end up using a grate that you brought from home or one of the cooking grates they have on fire rings at parks?

Also, what kind of wood were you able to cook on? I'm assuming you would want to regulate what wood was put on the fire.
post #43 of 44 Old 06-19-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
How did that grilled watermelon turn out? I was think of trying the smoker on it. But, if it can be well grilled, that is all the better.
always turns out great. A bit of olive oil on the melon itself, grill for about 5 minutes per side. Season to taste afterward. I typically just add a bit of salt to it, but i've heard you can put almost any seasoning on it you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade97 View Post
Did you end up using a grate that you brought from home or one of the cooking grates they have on fire rings at parks?

Also, what kind of wood were you able to cook on? I'm assuming you would want to regulate what wood was put on the fire.
Used a grate a brought with me. It was height adjustable to help regulate heat and mounted on a single Pole so it could rotate it to where further regulate heat as well as make loading/unloading of it easier as to not work directly over the fire.

As for wood, used mainly hickory with a bit of Oak.

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

post #44 of 44 Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

XJ99, Hashbrown, kachink and 1 others like this.

2005 GMC 2500HD 496 C.I.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.