building your own Smoker/ BBQ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > building your own Smoker/ BBQ

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

building your own Smoker/ BBQ

Hi guys! It's getting into BBQ season. I have this old BBQ er from a buddy of mine, I have never smoked a thing in my life, but want to learn. My idea is to put a rotisserie into the big compartment while putting the wood hips into the small compartment. I need to get thermostats, and some kind of container for the wood hips what makes the clean up easy. I also want to add a BBQ burner onto the big compartment to use it as a BBQ/ Smoker.Any ideas?

Here are some pics.

image-1766241223.jpg

image-3254189425.jpg

image-860288454.jpg

image-2209929887.jpg

image-1102425804.jpg

THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I don't think you want to use a rotisserie for smoking. For grilling over a direct heat source yes, but for indirect smoking, no. From my experience, the key with proper smoking is maintaining a consistent temp during the time of your cook. (usually ~ 250-275deg)

Again, others may have different/better advice, but I thought I'd give you some thoughts since nobody replied....

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. I have to research that whole thing. The rotisserie will be optional, so it can be used as a BBQ or a smoker.-as needed...

My brother in law makes a absolutely beautiful thanksgiving turkey - smoked. It is being smoked in a metal,barrel. Awesome. I start drooling by just thinking about it. They just measure the the temps of the bird constantly. The whole smoking a food thing is new to me, so like I said, I gotta do my homework first before I open my mouth( or keyboard ) in this case.
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
SinCityCJ
1986 CJ7 

What you have is an off-set horizontal smoker, much like one of the ones I use, and they can be a little tricky. The smaller side is where your fuel gets burned while you smoke on the larger side. They can be tricky, especially when you do enough meat you need both ends. The grates nearest the firebox will be hotter than those on the opposite side, making that meat cook faster, which you don't want. Temp control is one of the most important thigs there is to smoking meat. Here's a great article on some mods you can do to make you off-set easier to use and here is one for adding a rotisserie. As for the chips, no container is really needed. You can add the chips right to your hot coals and let them do their thing. You'll have to clean out the ash any way, so what a little more to scoop out. If you really have your heart set on a container for the chips, don't waste your money on one of those fancy things, aluminum foil works wonder. Just double wrap your chips, put some slices in the top so the smoke can escape and place on top of the coals. Smoking meats takes some practice, but it is a lot of fun. It's also a great way to get away from the honey do list, "Sorry honey, can't do that. Gotta watch the meat" Ask me how I know There is no right or wrong way to smoke meats and the internet is your friend. There are a ton of great articles out there and all of them will be helpful.
I've been smoking meat on and off for about 20 years nows and may try a couple of the competitions next year, money permitting anyway. I've been making my own rubs for about the same length of time, my family and friends actually talked me into selling them which I started doing. If you need any tips or help you can message me here and I'll be more than happy to pass along what I've learned. Just don't ask for my rub recipes, that's proprietary info It takes practice so don't discouraged if something doesn't come out right the first time and always have a back up plan for dinner, just in case things turn out real bad. You can also get ahold of me thru my facebook page, just look for Sin City Rubs. I've got a few recipes there and will be adding more as time goes along. Smoking meat, just like Jeeps, becomes an addiction, welcome to it.
Unread 05-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome thank you!
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think that heat storing ballast in the second stage is an important element. Chef son who built his own two stage says he uses a particular kind of rocks, basalt I think, which he says are better than fire brick. You get the second stage up to 215 or whatnot, rocks and all, then monitor your digital temperature probes in between the two stages and you can keep the temperature in the smoking compartment very steady. Son says unexpected cooling is almost as bad as overheating. Personally, I don't have the patience for it.
Unread 10-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok today I first time used my brinkman smoker. Seasoned chicken about 48 hours ago, made also sauce to brush over, and a container with some water, some coca cola lime slices and lime peel...

The charcoal I heated up on my propane BBQ, till they were going
for this process I hosed the floor underneath the BBQ, so when small pieces of coals fall thru the rack it doesn't cause a,fire

Then I placed the hot could into container ( Home Depot)

Added applewood chips and mesquite chips as well as star anise, some more lime peels, peppercorns and garlic gloves and gloves to the fire bucket and set it in the fire chamber ( smaller chamber).

Got a good smoke going

Temp in fire chamber

Temp in cooking chamber

Chicken starts looking nicely. Pasting it with spice sauce I made, also checking temps in both chambers....
Unread 11-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Made smiked salmon. Used frozed wild caught sockeye and made cure for it:
2 parts raw organic suar
2 parts brown sugar
1 part kosher salt mix all together
-----------------------
Add maybe 1 tablespoon vulcano fire salt

Unpack syill frozen salmon, check for pin bones and remove them if u find sny.
Put a layer of above listed cure mix in large cooking tray where salmon will fit lengthwise in.
Pack salmon with cure mix. Cover with shrink wrap. Defrost in fridge. This will draw out lots of liquid and cure the fish. Cure minumum 8 hrs best over night.

When salmon is cured drain out liquid and gently rinse fish. Set aside let dry for about 40 minutes drpending on ambient temp.

Start smoker. I tried to bring smoker up to 250 or so degrees F in fire chamber and keep constant 165 deg in meat chamber.

Used applewood and normal charcoal to get it started. Put metalpan with water and appleslices over fire container where the hot cials were kept, so relative humidity was up and fish wont dry out...

Also made a brine to put on fish.

When fish is dried it builts a layer called pemican. Thats what you are looking for. Now put banana leaves on smoker grill prec
Vents fish ftom sticking. Put fish on banana leaves. Add brine. Smoke. Enjoy.

Unread 11-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOR114
Ok today I first time used my brinkman smoker. Seasoned chicken about 48 hours ago, made also sauce to brush over, and a container with some water, some coca cola lime slices and lime peel...

The charcoal I heated up on my propane BBQ, till they were going
for this process I hosed the floor underneath the BBQ, so when small pieces of coals fall thru the rack it doesn't cause a,fire

Then I placed the hot could into container ( Home Depot)

Added applewood chips and mesquite chips as well as star anise, some more lime peels, peppercorns and garlic gloves and gloves to the fire bucket and set it in the fire chamber ( smaller chamber).

Got a good smoke going

Temp in fire chamber

Temp in cooking chamber

Chicken starts looking nicely. Pasting it with spice sauce I made, also checking temps in both chambers....

Came out really nice

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.