Boston Butt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Boston Butt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Boston Butt

Cooking a 4.75lb Boston butt right now on my holland grill yummy. Got it rubbed down with butt rub. How do y'all grill yours?

MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

Wk

My favorite boston butt recipe is actually done in the oven, roughly following Chiarello's 'Forever Roasted Pork' recipe..

basically you bone the butt, peel back the fat, put a mix of sage, sauteed onions, and "fennel spice rub" under the fat, and lay the fat back down.. and put more fennel spice rub and onions in the the bone cavity.. and then dry braise for 7-8 hours. the fat renders through the onions and spices into the meat and makes a heavenly dish.

I would imagine you could do the same in a low-temp grille setup.

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

You could make it like this guy...

NWS!

I usually let it spin on the rotisserie for about 5-6
hours, or until it gets up to around 200* internal.

+

=

Unread 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I use a dry rub on it, then cook it in the charcoal grill for about 8-10 hours. Adding soaked hickory chips and some extra coals every two hours.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
shibby575
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I rub mine down with favorite meat rub and splash some bourbon on it a day or so before. Get the smoker grill up to about 200 deg, and cook/smoke an hour / lb. 2/3 smoked 1/3 wrapped in foil. mopping while smoking. Turns out fantastic every time. Make your favorite bbq sauce up and boom. Great BBQ. I usually use hickory and apple for smoke.
shibby575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Wordgie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Coat it with dry rub and let it sit in the fridge the night before you smoke it. Cook at 225 or so for a couple hours without opening the lid. After that, slather it with mop sauce once an hour. Smoke it for about 8-10 hours, wrap it in foil with some moo sauce and crank the heat to about 300 for another hour or two.

Depending on the quality, it should apart just right.

I've found that Smithfield butts are more dense and don't pull as well. If I smoke them, I'll slice it or if I want it pulled I'll do it in the crock pot.

Pour about an inch of vinegar and a little less than half a crock pot full of water. Put the butt in fat side up finish filling with water and crock on low for about 8 hours. I'll usually pull it then mix it with sauce and crock it for about another alf hour/45 minutes stirring often to prevent it from charring.
Wordgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
flyfisher12
2012 JK Wrangler 

I dry rub it the night before and then smoke at 215-225 using lump charcoal, apple and peach wood if i can find it. I also inject mine with an apple cider vinegar, apple juice and spice mixture. After about 4 hours of smoking i wrap it after coating it with more rub and the injection till i hit about 185 internal temp then i unwrap and let it go till i get to about 195 internal temp to help get that bark. I know when it is done when the bone just slides out with little to no resistance which is usually in the 16 hour range.
flyfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's a great cut. Cheap, flavorful and easy to cook. I have brined, rubbed, baked and smoked and as long as you cook it long enough to break down the tough part it's hard to go wrong. I think my favorite was injecting with hot wing sauce and frying.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
JeepNowski
2004 WJ 

I love smoking a butt....that doesn't look right at all......

I use an offset smoker and rub the butt heavily with something called Grub Rub to which I add a little spice (cayenne) and a lot more brown sugar. Once the rub is applied I let it sit overnight in the fridge to let it sweat and just before cooking I'll reapply some more rub to the meat. While cooking I'll go outside and mop it every hour or so after the first few hours with apple cider although that's more to keep the exterior of the butt moist but it also adds some extra sweetness and maybe gives it a little better flavor. I don't wrap mine but I've seen people do this. I like a good crust on the outside and mixed in when I pull it. I usually cook mine for 12 hours at @ 225 and when I bring it in the bone pulls from the center easily with no meat on it at all. I also don't add any sauce to mine, instead I offer up a bottle of this REALLY great sauce I get from City Market in Luling. It's about the only bbq sauce that I will use.
For preparation, we generally just do pulled pork sammies. I put a little 1000 Island dressing on a bun, a nice portion of pulled pork on top of that, a really good sweet cole slaw on top of that, then a little bbq sauce on top of that and smash it all together. Maybe an onion or something if you like, but for me that's all I do.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Charlienmr
2012 WK 

Great cut for a group but since I like leftovers I'll just make it for my wife and I. I tie it up and then run it with yellow mustard and my own rub. Rub has a lot of paprika plus onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, brown sugar and salt. And some other stuff. Then onto my Traeger set at 225 for 3-4 hours. I put it into a foil pan but not covered and cook to 185-190. Rest it for 15-20 minutes. I spray or mop it with apple juice and cider vinegar about every hour. Nice dark and chewy bark. I remove most of the fat from the juice that ends up in the foil pan and mix that into the pulled pork.
image-2238617149.jpg

Unread 09-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Lately I've been grinding them up to make
Italian, and breakfast sausage.
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is what we've been using on our electric smoker.
Soak the cherrywood chips for a while, add them around the heating element before starting. Then add water and liquid of choice to the water pan (we use beer or apple cider). The liquid evaporates, mixes with the smoke and infuses the meat. The electric controls the temp perfectly for us.

We prepare the meat with a brine solution the night before using the recipe found here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

And it has been PERFECT every time. Wife did a 12 pounder last weekend and it came out incredible - better than the BBQ places around here.

We have this smoker from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann...0#.UmadeZbvy5I

If you want more control you can go with a digital one. They cost more, but are generally a bit bigger and have more flexibility temperature-wise. Our smoker stays a constant 225.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbui...3#.UmaeXJbvy5I
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
fundabug

When I do a pork butt, I rub it down with some of that pink salt (don't know why it's pink, but I like it) cracked pepper, maybe a little cayenne pepper, and that's about it. I have a smoker with a side mounted fire box that I burn a hickory and apple wood fire with just a little lump hardwood charcoal as a base to get it started. The hickory comes from my backyard and the apple comes from my in-laws trees. I don't soak my wood and just add a piece or two at a time so as not to over smoke it, just a nice light constant haze of smoke. I've seen a lot of people keep theirs in a constant fog of heavy smoke and really overpower the meat with it. I have a pan that sits just above the opening where the firebox attaches to the smoker and it usually has water that steams out to keep from drying out the meat. I'll keep the meat in for anywhere from 12-14 hours. My mother-in-law has this huge crock pot/ dutch oven thing that will hold an entire butt, turkey, shoulder, whatever your meat of the day is. It has a grate/grill thing that drops in to keep the meat a couple of inches from the bottom. I put a beer and apple cider concoction in the bottom and just let that slowly steam and finish off the meat for a couple more hours. When it's done . I think the finishing off in the dutch oven puts it over the top. So juicy and tender. I'm now the official family BBQ guy for birthdays, funerals, holidays, and whatever. In my little part of the world pork BBQ is at every occasion.

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.