Big Green Egg - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Big Green Egg

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #76
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I so wish I could have a XL and Large side by side.

SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #77
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Still dont like em.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #78
robspears
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have had mine for about 3-4 years and love it......they are pricey but if you enjoy cooking out it's worth it
91 YJ. Chevy SB 350 w/ TH350 trans. 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ 33X12.50 MT Baja Claw tires & MT Classic Lock wheels. Auburn Gear-Ected Locker, Chromoly front & Superior rear axle shafts, Superwinch LP 8500.
robspears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #79
Iwanna
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robspears
I have had mine for about 3-4 years and love it......they are pricey but if you enjoy cooking out it's worth it
I have had mine since 2010 and don't own gas anymore. So easy to use and food is always delicious.
Iwanna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #80
exador
1970 CJ5 

BGE is pretty great but I prefer my CharGriller Akorn Kamado since it is about 1/4 of the cost and cooks just as good. The bottom is removable for easy cleaning, with an extra 17" weber grate($10) I have an extra spot for my water pan and heat diffuser for a slow cook(which completely avoids flare ups and uneven cooks or I can move the basket up higher for a fast cook with the coals only 2-3 inches from the cast iron cooking grate.

It can cook just about anything and definately worth it for anyone wanting a BGE but not wanting the price tag. Not to mention scooping ash out is a HUGE PITA.

Prices are around $150on sale to $350.

exador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #81
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
BGE is pretty great but I prefer my CharGriller Akorn Kamado since it is about 1/4 of the cost and cooks just as good. The bottom is removable for easy cleaning, with an extra 17" weber grate($10) I have an extra spot for my water pan and heat diffuser for a slow cook(which completely avoids flare ups and uneven cooks or I can move the basket up higher for a fast cook with the coals only 2-3 inches from the cast iron cooking grate.

It can cook just about anything and definately worth it for anyone wanting a BGE but not wanting the price tag. Not to mention scooping ash out is a HUGE PITA.

Prices are around $150on sale to $350.

My daughter just bought one of these. She emailed a picture and titled it: "A gateway drug to the BGE addiction"

I can't wait to see how it works and how she likes it. She's grew up using a BGE so she is in a good position to make a first hand comparison. And you are right, the price is much more affordable.
BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #82
exador
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOpsRubi View Post
My daughter just bought one of these. She emailed a picture and titled it: "A gateway drug to the BGE addiction"

I can't wait to see how it works and how she likes it. She's grew up using a BGE so she is in a good position to make a first hand comparison. And you are right, the price is much more affordable.
Yeah I was a little leery about getting it at first but after reading a few reviews about it I was sold. Unfortunately I got the older model and the silver top vent doesn't seal well, the newer models with the black top vent are the ones to get.

I don't think they trap in the moisture as well as BGEs do but the water pan and weber grate remedied that for about $15. I can't really say for sure since my first and only cook without a water pan was a lot hotter then I intended.
Also the thermometer is anywhere up to 100 degrees off so digital is highly recommended. I plan on getting the Maverick ET732.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #83
Natesjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I know there hasn't been any comments on this thread for a few months but I recently got a big green egg. I've been spending a lot of time on the egg forum and I have to admit it has kind of felt like cheating on JF. so you can imagine my excitement seeing people on here talking about it.hope this thread picks back up!
Natesjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #84
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

are there end of year sales on the bge so one could save a few bucks.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #85
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure how often they go on sale or even if they do at all but we've bought 4 at "Eggfests". They provide brand new BGEs for the cooks and then sell them after the one time use at a nice discount. They also sell the accessories at a discount. They have the Fests all over the country and even a few in Canada. If you can attend one in your area that is the best way to see them up close & personal, see & sample the various cooking techniques, as well as getting a good event discount.

The New Eggland Fest is pretty small but the closest for us each year. Here is a picture of the Eggs cooling off before they go to their new homes:
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #86
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

is the new england fest coming up soon? tks
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #87
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

No it was just in June. Most of them are in the summer months but there are still a few on the calendar for this year:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/eggfests/

Also, some of the dealers have demos on occasion. One of the guys came to a dealer near us and did a demonstration of how to cold smoke cheese ... pretty interesting but I haven't tried that yet.
Unread 08-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #88
Mr Q X
1995 ZJ 

Here's a china egg, I built BBq's at all the big box store and they're all crap besides the good ol webers. http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...AID=1251871217
Unread 06-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #89
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Yeah I was a little leery about getting it at first but after reading a few reviews about it I was sold. Unfortunately I got the older model and the silver top vent doesn't seal well, the newer models with the black top vent are the ones to get.

I don't think they trap in the moisture as well as BGEs do but the water pan and weber grate remedied that for about $15. I can't really say for sure since my first and only cook without a water pan was a lot hotter then I intended.
Also the thermometer is anywhere up to 100 degrees off so digital is highly recommended. I plan on getting the Maverick ET732.
How's the warranty?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #90
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOpsRubi View Post
No it was just in June. Most of them are in the summer months but there are still a few on the calendar for this year:

http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/eggfests/

Also, some of the dealers have demos on occasion. One of the guys came to a dealer near us and did a demonstration of how to cold smoke cheese ... pretty interesting but I haven't tried that yet.
Ohio's biggest eggfest is July 12 in Cincy, porkopolis eggfest...turnout last year was near 1,300 I think...I believe they still have a couple of demo eggs available for pre-purchase, at least as of a week or two ago.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.