Big Green Egg - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Big Green Egg

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #31
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You really don't need anything once you cook them over the wood IMO.

SideshowBob024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #32
BrendonR

I'm looking at purchasing a BGE - probably the Large and I had a question...

With the internet fans the way they are... it's been really, REALLY, hard to find a bad review of the Big Green Egg. I'd like to know some reasons that I might NOT want to buy one.

What are the drawbacks of the Big Green Egg? Another I was looking at is a Traeger, and I currently run Propane on a $200 Walmart special.

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.
BrendonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The drawback is that food cooked on any other grill tastes like ****.

Another drawback is that you become a BBQ snob and only yours is good enough.
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #34
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
What are the drawbacks of the Big Green Egg?
Can't think of any except maybe if you've only got a couple of burgers or hot dogs, it takes a little longer to be ready than just flipping a switch on the propane. But even those hot dogs are going to taste 100% better on the Egg.

And SideShowBob is correct ... you do become a bbq snob.
BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #35
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I can get egg going in like 10 mins or less with the Mapp torch. It's all about how many beers you drink while standing there holding the torch.
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #36
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

BGE sucks. There is a reason we dont sell them at our store. You cannot beat a Traeger or Holland Grill. Its personal preference though. Woodpellet or Propane. Both grills are guarenteed not to flare up and produce great tasted. Sorry but I hate charcoal. It stinks and burns your eyes and makes ur food taste wierd. Can you bake a pie with a BGE and have it taste great NOPE!!!!. We have been selling Holland and Traegers for 8-10 years. I dont like a big flame or cloud of smoke in my face when I open the lid of a grill.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
motoman45_00
1942 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
BGE sucks. There is a reason we dont sell them at our store. You cannot beat a Traeger or Holland Grill. Its personal preference though. Woodpellet or Propane. Both grills are guarenteed not to flare up and produce great tasted. Sorry but I hate charcoal. It stinks and burns your eyes and makes ur food taste wierd. Can you bake a pie with a BGE and have it taste great NOPE!!!!. We have been selling Holland and Traegers for 8-10 years. I dont like a big flame or cloud of smoke in my face when I open the lid of a grill.
really?
motoman45_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #38
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You are doing it wrong.
Unread 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #39
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Im just saying there is a reason. Ive seen the BGE in person and not really impressed. Im not trying to be billy mays but you really will not ever want to cook on another grill once u try a traeger.
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #40
motoman45_00
1942 CJ2 

that is your opinion, Traeger makes a nice product also...which you are right on that, but BGE is a very good high quality bbq/smoker...if I had the money I would own a BGE, however I don't, I use a standard weber which gets me by.
motoman45_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #41
BlkOpsRubi

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
BGE sucks. Can you bake a pie with a BGE and have it taste great NOPE!!!!.
Everyone has an opinion and I certainly won't debate you over yours. Taste is a matter of personal preference.

But to answer your question, yes I can bake a pie that tastes great. I also have a Boy Scout recipe for pineapple upside down cake that is a camping crowd pleaser. For breakfast camping I make Jack Daniels Pecan Rolls that will knock your socks off. None of those have a "funny" taste. The baking function is IN ADDITION to grilling and smoking.

If anyone is interested, the Large Egg will fit in the back of a 2-door JK (back seat removed)! We've taken it camping with us several times.
BlkOpsRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #42
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just for the price and the sq. inches of cooking surface its a little expensive for me and most of our customers. We do get people asking about them though.
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #43
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Egg dominates the Traeger.

The ceramic construction just holds heat more efficiently and loses less moisture. Despite your misgivings and misunderstanding about a proper high quality charcoal fire, it's a much better heat source from a flavor perspective. I also really like using charcoal made in the US of A and wood I cut myself for flavor, not some pellet most likely made in China.

The Egg is guaranteed for life, the Traeger for 3 years and they actively deny warranty claims if you don't buy Traeger pellets.

I have three friends, we all started seriously smoking and BBQing around the same time.

One had/has a Big Steel Keg, one had a Traeger, I have my BGE. After we had a few "smoke offs" the Traeger owner sold his Traeger on craigslist to fund the purchase of an XL BGE. Now his food rivals mine.
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #44
jp_rey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looked at the traeger BGE and the buuba keg. The older traegers were good, the newer ones are made a lot thinner. They work well and convenient. I have a Egg and once you use it it is great. It holds tepratures well. I can set at 200 and let it go for 12 hours holding the temp never touching it (don't have a temprature controller either). so far I have cooked things like Bread, Pizza, cookies, Mac and cheese, Brisket, Chicken, Thanksgiving Turkey, Steaks, Ribs, chops. Cooking in Temps from long 200 degree smokes to 500 degree pizza extremely versatile.
Down side expensive, not really portable hard to move, and you will be spending for accesorries. If you are really interested look for a eggfest in your area, see what they can do and they usually sell the eggfest eggs at a big discount (used only once).
jp_rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #45
SideshowBob024
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, good call on the Eggfest Eggs.

I have a Stoker, so worth the $$$$. 18 hour smokes without even being at the house.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.