JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   BBQ & Grilling (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f365/)
-   -   Big Green Egg (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f365/big-green-egg-1223746/)

Keith 06-06-2011 11:23 AM

Big Green Egg

Anyone use one? I've been told they are the greatest invention of all mankind but the price is pretty high.

motoman45_00 06-06-2011 11:26 AM

they are awesome, very pricey but if you can afford it, go for it!! I still have a weber but ive been wanting a egg for years, a buddy of mine has one and its so easy to keep a steady temp for hours, easy to sear steaks cause it gets sooooo hot. :2thumbsup::cheers2:

Cause 06-06-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 11662395)
Anyone use one? I've been told they are the greatest invention of all mankind but the price is pretty high.

You were told wrong.

"the greatest invention of all mankind"

...is the zipper!

Agony Wagon 06-06-2011 02:14 PM

Coworker of mine raves about his.
Says he cooks his steaks using the "TRex Method."

TexasYJ 06-06-2011 02:23 PM

My dad has one and absolutely loves it. He also has one of the first grills, cast iron, manufactured by the same company. He purchased it before I was a twinkle, which was about 40 years ago. That same grill is still kicking at the old man's house and is still in the original condition. So, if that is any indication as to the quality.......

Over all he has been very impressed with the capabilities and fit/finish of his. He has even started to do a little smoking with it.

oldog/newtrick 06-06-2011 04:40 PM

Keith, good friend of mine has one and absolutely loves his, said it's the best thing since the invention of the zipper;) Only reason I don't have one is the price thing. I did pick up a 60 gal air compressor tank, a small old trailer (both free) to convert to a smoker when time allows though. Now looking for steel to fab a fire box.

Get one you won't be disappointed.

Dcomf 06-06-2011 06:30 PM

If you actually want to use it you have to put another 250 bills minimum into it for a temp control unit. Not to mention all the little accessories you need that don't come with it. Save your money and get a Weber Smokey Mountain if you want a decent charcoal smoker. Personally I use a Traeger pellet grill to smoke and grill, nothing to fuss with. Set the temp desired and go off and do your thing.

BTW: We need a barbecue icon.

martinsburgjeep 06-07-2011 07:31 PM

my brother in law sells them .. he has the massive one. I won't spend the cash on one, but having used one/ate plenty of food from one ... I'm a fan

JBWrangler06 06-07-2011 07:36 PM

So how about a Big Steel Keg instead? Seems to be a better price and has a trailer hitch adapter. Or is the BGE worth the investment?

hustler905 06-07-2011 07:52 PM

They cook meat nicely without drying it out - I say go for it.

CJATE 06-08-2011 08:56 PM

I have one. If I had to replace it, I'd get the bubba keg

Egg is better, but is not twice as better.

Bro in law took my advice and got the keg in DC, he cooks all winter on it, no issues.

JSB Jeep 06-09-2011 12:56 AM

I've had my Large BGE for about 4-5 years now. I haven't used a gasser since. It is almost impossible to overcook on these things. The meat retains moisture like you wouldn't believe. They are extremely versitile as well. Quick sears, low and slow overnighters, desert, you name it and the Egg can make it. We've noticed that we eat out way less because I can grill food much better than the resturant so that has helped justify the cost in the long run.

3 words that Eggers quickly learn: Atomic Buffalo Turds.

You'll thank me later..............

Neeco 06-09-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSB Jeep (Post 11679309)

3 words that Eggers quickly learn: Atomic Buffalo Turds.

You'll thank me later..............

Are these like Field Mice? Or FireBalls?

YUMMMM...

JSB Jeep 06-10-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neec0 (Post 11679832)
Are these like Field Mice? Or FireBalls?

YUMMMM...

I haven't heard of either??? ABT's are really good and really addicting!!

303_XJ 06-11-2011 12:21 AM

The Big Green Egg is incredible! I'm heading to an Egg cook off contest tomorrow. Also the Denver Eggfest is next month. I'm not an Egghead yet...but I will be soon. So far I've got about $700 saved up to buy a large egg.

If you want some good info on egging, check out the Egg Head Forum. eggheadforum.com

The time now is 05:39 PM.