Beef Jerky? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Beef Jerky?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 04-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Beef Jerky?

Making my first batch tomorrow. Bought a London Broil, had it trimmed and sliced. Sitting in some marinade, in the fridge right now.
Going to use this dehydrator we have had sitting around unused for a few years. I also have an electric smoker I can use some other time.

So from the Jerky Experts, got any tips??

SDDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

First time I made a batch I did it out on the porch and ended up with 10,000,000 flies inside. I wrap the whole thing in cheese cloth now.

In my experience, don't over season. Its gets pretty concentrated after it dries out.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
First time I made a batch I did it out on the porch and ended up with 10,000,000 flies inside. I wrap the whole thing in cheese cloth now.

In my experience, don't over season. Its gets pretty concentrated after it dries out.
That would suck. How did the flies taste?
Come on now we all know you tried some!
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

So what do you do, make it in the sun? Im using a little teriyaki and black pepper.
Unread 04-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
So what do you do, make it in the sun? Im using a little teriyaki and black pepper.
I have a $20 dehydrator from walmart. It works great, just that I originally made the mistake of using it outside which attracted every fly on earth.

Best thing is to experiment with seasoning and how long you like to marinade and how long to dry it. You can try 2-3 slices each in several marinades for different times and dry them all together.
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a $20 dehydrator from walmart. It works great, just that I originally made the mistake of using it outside which attracted every fly on earth.

Best thing is to experiment with seasoning and how long you like to marinade and how long to dry it. You can try 2-3 slices each in several marinades for different times and dry them all together.
Im looking at this dehydrator "HomeTrends" is the brand, probably a $20 Wallmart one, and my smoker. Wondering if I should use the smoker? What about drippings in the dehydrator, or are there any?
Unread 04-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I like a little fat in the jerky. The store bought stuff never has it probably because it can't sit on the shelf for two years, but if you try a little eye of chuck roast or similar, it will have some delicious fat and after curing, it will last months without refrigeration. Remove any gristle or connective tissue. I find it much more tasty with a little fat. London Broil is not the best choice in my opinion. Its tough and not such good flavor. If you don't want any fat, get a chuck roast, get it right about frozen, just barely, and slice it real thin with a real sharp knife. Then remove any fat (sacrilege). Or, convince your butcher to thin slice it. They don't like to do that unless they have a raw slicer on hand because they have to break down the machine and clean everything before they can use it for anything else.

Also agree 100% with taking it easy on the seasoning. Especially liquid smoke, teriyaki, and soy sauce.
Unread 04-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

London broil or top round should be fine. That's what I use. This is about the same recipe I use without the paprika. I'd give you the exact recipe but I can't find it right now.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/docs-best-beef-jerky/
Watch the drying times, first time I tried making jerky I way over dried it and made dried beef rocks.
Unread 04-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If there is very much fat left on it's best to keep it in the freezer since it can go bad but it will keep a good long time after it's dried. Usually, it's not around long enough to go bad though.
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
SDDAVE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks for all the tips. I decided to do it in my smoker, didn't have much confidence it the dehydrator I have, and may buy a better one down the road.

I used some left over Trader Joe's teriyaki marinade I had in the fridge and, black pepper. Used tooth picks to hang the strips from the rack.

Half cup of wood chips, and smoked at 150 degrees for 5 hours. It turned out pretty good. Im going to add some sweet next time, pineapple juice maybe.
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hi SDDave- I used my dehydrator as well for making jerky. Comes out nice, but depending on the cut and the time you dry it, you gotta catch it at the right time. I found out if i over dry it is getting tough like leather. I also like a little trim of fat on it. I found here at in CA at Vallarta preslized thin cut beef jersey. If you have a good meat utter you can do that yourself, of you partially freeze it to get it harder, it's easier to cut. And before you put it on the dehydrator, take a paper napkin and put just a tab tab of olive oil on the paper towel and then wipe down themsurfacenfrom the dehydrator before you place the meat on it. That prevents it from sticking.

I think a round steak or so would work best. It has been a while since I made it, but I did one in juice like you and the other one just peppered...

So, enjoy.have a test bite now and then and try to not dehydrate it too hot, otherwise it dries out...if I remember right... Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

Thor
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
THOR114

2004 TJ Wrangler 

THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
slingblade
1994 YJ Wrangler 

smoker jerky

I make jerky in my smoker. Smoke it for 3-4 hours so it still has some moisture, then eat some while it is still warm. Awesome. I have a traeger and the recipe I use is coffee break beef jerky. The recipe is available on the Traeger web site.

Greg
slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

I use london broil when they go on sale.
Trick is to keep the thickness uniform.

Crushed red pepper:

Fresh ground pepper:

Regular:

Unread 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Grind up some peppers..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.