Beef Jerky - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Beef Jerky

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 10-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #31
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have made jerky with both liquid marinades and dry rubs. The liquid ones have always been homemade and the dry rubs were commercially bought. FWIW the dry rubs have always been way saltier than my liquid marinades and I tend to like the liquid ones better. Others I know vastly prefer the dry rubs.
I almost always use some type of lean meat, game animal like deer or elk. I have also used both the oven on low and a dehydrator my daughter bought me when she wanted some jerky made for her. Both work but I think I can control the dehydrator a little better.

cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #32
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The last batch of jerky I did was thick applewood bacon. Came out fantastic but I'd trim a bit of the fat if I did another batch. And it stinks up the house something fierce.

I need to do another batch of beef, this thread got me jonesin! I use a sirloin or top roast, soaked overnight in a mix of things and then dry rubbed, and I'll add some drops of whatever hot sauce I have on top of that on some too.

Did a batch one time that was soaked in beer and apple butter overnight then rubbed, ridiculous good.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Yeah, you need to trim the fat.
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #34
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
Yeah, you need to trim the fat.
Trim as much as possible - the fat will go rancid and crap up the rest of the jerky, if it sits long enough.

You're better off losing a little meat trimming than a lot of jerky later...
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #35
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the bacon fat is actually pretty good after jerkin it, better than that pre-cooked stuff you can buy. But yeah I'd trim it next time, especially as thick as it was.

It didn't last long enough to go rancid.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #36
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The fat does not go rancid. That's just some BS. I've had bacon fat on my shelf for months. Beef fat is the same.

If you have your jerky around long enough for the fat to go rancid, it wasn't very good jerky to begin with.
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #37
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The fat does not go rancid. That's just some BS. I've had bacon fat on my shelf for months. Beef fat is the same.
The fat doesn't go rancid, it's the moisture in the fat that turns
the beef rancid. That's why you cure it in salt taking out the rest
of the moisture. Then you remove the rest by smoking the meat,
or use a dehydrator...
You want to cook eggs in bacon fat that's been skimmed, then get on.

Quote:
If you have your jerky around long enough for the fat to go rancid, it wasn't very good jerky to begin with.
Or if you make big batches like me, you can't finish it with
in a couple of days. Well I guess you could, but you'll need
blood pressure meds when you're done!

Meow.....

Unread 11-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
The fat doesn't go rancid, it's the moisture in the fat that turns the beef rancid. That's why you cure it in salt taking out the rest of the moisture.
I am always glad for the chance to be of help.

Let me start by telling you that there is no moisture in fat. The moisture is only present in the muscle. Look it up. Try the USDA. They know. Or, cut a piece of pure fat and heat in the skillet. Hear it sizzle and see the steam? No, you don't. And that is because there is no water in fat. It just melts.

Alton Brown rejects the strip steak not because of the fat but because it is cut against the grain and when dried becomes brittle.

And, the best cut of meat for jerky was not even considered by him. It is the eye of the chuck roast. The most tasty of the affordable cuts of meat and it makes far better jerky than flank steak. And, is cheaper.

And, jerky with fat on it is good for weeks or months. Not days. And, it contains calories for energy as opposed to just a tasty lump of salted protein/
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #39
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been making deer jerky for years. My wife you tubed a recipe years ago. We always just used cut meat and a dehydrator. This is traditional jerk and is pretty tough. It is easy to make but takes time. I freeze the meat, use my saw zal and jig saw to cut it, and soak it for 3 days and them but it in the dehydrator.

I just bought a meat grinder and just made snack sticks (slim Jims). I bought a 20 dollar snake kit with all the seasoning and casings from bass pro shop. They taste great and much easier to eat than the traditional style jerky. Grinding the meat is also MUCH MUCH MUCH easier that cutting into strips for traditional jerky.

I just bought one of those Jerky Guns for make jerky form ground up meats.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #40
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I have been making deer jerky for years. My wife you tubed a recipe years ago. We always just used cut meat and a dehydrator. This is traditional jerk and is pretty tough. It is easy to make but takes time. I freeze the meat, use my saw zal and jig saw to cut it, and soak it for 3 days and them but it in the dehydrator.

I just bought a meat grinder and just made snack sticks (slim Jims). I bought a 20 dollar snake kit with all the seasoning and casings from bass pro shop. They taste great and much easier to eat than the traditional style jerky. Grinding the meat is also MUCH MUCH MUCH easier that cutting into strips for traditional jerky.

Take your grinder and go buy a Boston Butt.
Follow the Alton Brown recipe for breakfast,
and Italian sausage. I don't even bother using
casings. Just patty up the breakfast sausage,
and I keep the Italian in bulk form. I use it when
I make my homemade bolognese sauce!
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

Interesting, , so how do u make the sticks? Could I smoke them?
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #42
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloksrule View Post
Interesting, , so how do u make the sticks? Could I smoke them?
We used a snake stick kit from bass pro shop. It has the seasoning and the cases. We used ground venison, shot by my son. It sits over nnight than you can bake it low heat or smoke it.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #43
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

This is my latest go at venison jerky with a dehydrator.

1lb venison cut into 3/16" -1/4" strips
1 cup worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tbs sweet molasses
1 tsp garlic powder
1tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp black pepper

Mix and add strips of venison to evenly marinate in sealed container for 12-24 hours in the refrigerator.

Lay strips of marinated venison on dehydrator trays allowing to drip dry in the process. Discard remaining marinade.

Coat strips with McCormick brand Southwest seasoning and mesquite grilling rub (meyer store brand or equivalent)

Dry at 155 for 6 - 7 hours until firm but tender, enjoy.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #44
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm making venison jerky as we speak.

I used the last of my cure packets on the last batch, so I'm trying a wet cure of Worcestershire's sauce, sea salt, pepper, brown sugar, garlic, red pepper, and on an internet suggestion...whiskey. Supposedly it helps tenderize and leaves a nice flavor. We'll see.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #45
CaptLeeB
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Had some biltong finish this morning. Followed a recipe I found online and wasted my time. It's like eating a meat flavored salt lick. Recipe said cover with rock salt for 2-3 hours then rinse salt off with vinegar and then add coriander pepper and paprika. Maybe I'll try it again and lightly salt with instead of covering it.

FYI if you ever have jerky that's too salty don't toss it just shred it or chop it small and mix with unsalted nuts (cashews/peanuts whatever) maybe toss in some dried cranberries and chocolate chips and have a trail mix. But it make it edible.
CaptLeeB is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.