Beef Jerky - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > BBQ & Grilling > Beef Jerky

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Beef Jerky

Anybody on here make their own beef jerky? What are your good and bad experiences? Equipment? Recipes? Is it possible to make a sodium free or low sodium beef jerky?

Unread 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bump on this one.
How do you do it and what machine do you use?
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Jerky is really not hard to do at all,just a little time consuming. First you have select the correct meat. It needs to be very lean meat something like a round roast. I prefer venison for jerky. Then you have to decide how you want to slice it. If you want your finished product to tear a little easier slice it across the grain. If you like it on the chewy side slice it with the grain. I slice my meat around an 1/8" thick. If its any thicker it just takes to long to dry. Any thinner and its like eating a cracker.

Yes it is possible to make it low sodium. I really don't have a recipe for it though as I make my marinade to taste. I usually use Dales steak marinade as a base. I then will add a little liquid smoke,red and black pepper,a little cumin,a very small amount of chopped garlic,and some onion powder,and maybe a little whorstershire sauce.. If you want low sodium you would substitute some mortons tender quik instead of salt as a preservative.

As far as dehydraters a decent machine works fine for jerkey. Mine came from Academy sports. I think its made by American harvest.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you ever tried smoking the meat first then using the dehydrater?
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Yes I have but its alot more labor intensive having to build a fire to smoke some jerky for a half hour, and then move it to the dehydrater. I can't tell the difference in taste between liquid smoke and actually smoking it.
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
scottywags
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I make my own Jerky all the time. I use brisket freeze for about an hour so when you go to slice it thin , it kinda holds together better. Then I mix jalapeņo, fresh chopped garlic, soy sauce, liquid smoke, worshtershereshire sauce...those are the basics...and I never follow a recipe. I will add brown sugar or ginger or whatever I feel like or have handy in the kitchen. Then dehydrate.
scottywags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Anybody on here make their own beef jerky? What are your good and bad experiences? Equipment? Recipes? Is it possible to make a sodium free or low sodium beef jerky?
Sodium free/low sodium is easy - just don't add salt.

I usually go with something fairly spicy for myself (powdered habanero rub, or a chilpotle marinate) and something more sedate for her (she like teriyaki.)

I find that using beer as a base for marinade will allow greater flavour penetration, and can make for a softer jerky.

Machine? I have a gas oven - I set it to "Warm" (which is about 150-160*F,) leave the door slightly open, and monitor regularly until it gets where I want it. Meat goes on a rack like a baker's cooling rack, rack fits into a cooky sheet to catch drippings Drying time runs 4-6 hours, depending on a number of factors.

Haven't smoked meat in a long time, but used to do it the old-fashioned way - hung it on a rack next to the campfire, using oak, maple, or maybe hickory to "spice up" the fire. Usually took all day to do. (The difference? Jerky is made more or less over the heat, while smoking is done in the smoke from the fire off to the side. Both are good.)
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I thought by not having salt or by using low salt soy sauce or worstechire sauce there might be problems with spoilage or something, hence my question.
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just made 4 pounds a week or so... Maybe unconventional, but tasty none the less

I use 93% Lean Ground Beef (could just as easy use Deer, Buffalo or other lean meat, just not much of that out here in Cali), spiced up with various stuff (http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJ-18-Original-Flavor-18-Pack/dp/B000UCM0P6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326325331&sr=8-1 plus added Smoke Salt/Habnaro/Red Pepper/Chipolte, etc) and Use the LEM Jerky Cannon that holds about 1.5 lb's at a time, then squeeze out on Dehydraytor trays for 6-8 hours. Then EaT!

http://vimeo.com/15196088
P.S. The old guy in the video in NOT me!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

What does that gun do? Squirt ground beef out like caulking?
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
What does that gun do? Squirt ground beef out like caulking?
Basically, yes, The video linked up there shows it in action.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I watched the video just now, and it got me nauseated. That just seems wrong. Then he talks about pinching it off. Is he making beef jerky or taking a crap? Additionally, ground beef has a lot more fat in it than what jerky should have which makes it more prone to spoiling.
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
I watched the video just now, and it got me nauseated. That just seems wrong. Then he talks about pinching it off. Is he making beef jerky or taking a crap? Additionally, ground beef has a lot more fat in it than what jerky should have which makes it more prone to spoiling.
It works fine with a jerky gun as long as you use 97-99% lean ground beef. But its not the same as real jerky.
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #14
Mitchell420tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would love trying to make my own jerky, WATS the best meat u would suggest buying from the super market to make ur jerky
Mitchell420tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell420tj
I would love trying to make my own jerky, WATS the best meat u would suggest buying from the super market to make ur jerky
It really doesn't matter what cut it is. It just needs to be lean. Something like a round roast works good.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.